Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-18-2020, 07:04 PM   #1
daintreediver

Current best shafts on the market

Hey all looking into the best 8mm euro shafts on the market at the moment. Seems like Hunt shafts are right up there but also priced right up there. How do the devotosub shafts compare to hunt?

I currently use south african spears but might try some 17/4ph spears once again, used to use the sporasub one shafts but they dont make them anymore nor where they 8mm.
daintreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:00 AM   #2
spearq8

Re: Current best shafts on the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by daintreediver View Post
Hey all looking into the best 8mm euro shafts on the market at the moment. Seems like Hunt shafts are right up there but also priced right up there. How do the devotosub shafts compare to hunt?

I currently use south african spears but might try some 17/4ph spears once again, used to use the sporasub one shafts but they dont make them anymore nor where they 8mm.
The Sporasub One shafts (not Omer One shafts) are by far the best shaft ever made for spearfishing and unfortunately they have been discontinued, probably not cost effective to make. The Hunt shafts are also very good, especially the latest versions. Devotosub shafts are very functional but you need to pass a Dremel tool over each shaft to get working well and need to add a cone. I also like the Sigalsub shafts for smaller diameters (even though they are not 17-4). I recently bought a ton of the new Salvimar shafts using laser welded shark fins and they really look fantastic ... but for some reason they don't shoot accurately or as accurately as the other mentioned shafts. I am still not sure why. I had hoped the new Salvimar shafts would be good as they are priced very reasonably.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:47 AM   #3
daintreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
The Sporasub One shafts (not Omer One shafts) are by far the best shaft ever made for spearfishing and unfortunately they have been discontinued, probably not cost effective to make. The Hunt shafts are also very good, especially the latest versions. Devotosub shafts are very functional but you need to pass a Dremel tool over each shaft to get working well and need to add a cone. I also like the Sigalsub shafts for smaller diameters (even though they are not 17-4). I recently bought a ton of the new Salvimar shafts using laser welded shark fins and they really look fantastic ... but for some reason they don't shoot accurately or as accurately as the other mentioned shafts. I am still not sure why. I had hoped the new Salvimar shafts would be good as they are priced very reasonably.
Thanks mate always good to hear from you. Those cones made of stainless steel can i add some of them to my existing south african shafts or does that cause some sort of corrosion problems due to the two different metals? Do you just expoxy them onto the shaft?
Old 08-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
musubi

I recently seen an Omer America shaft break in two at the pinned shark fin after shooting a fish. I've been using Addiction Spears with Dean in Cali, but I see you're in Australia.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
Marco

I would stay with the SA shafts.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #6
daintreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I would stay with the SA shafts.
Yeh i ended up getting an 8mm SA made spear, i just cant seem to go past them for cost vs toughness. i also got it on special for a good price. To put it in perspective I paid $48 delivered for the SA spear vs a hunt spear which would have been $170 delivered. Just cant justify that price difference.

Im interested in whether i can install one of these cones on the SA spear to improve performance more?
Old 08-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #7
Diver278

You can get 8mm cones from Mako.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:14 AM   #8
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daintreediver View Post
Thanks mate always good to hear from you. Those cones made of stainless steel can i add some of them to my existing south african shafts or does that cause some sort of corrosion problems due to the two different metals? Do you just expoxy them onto the shaft?
Yes sure you can. I would first try to score or roughen the inside of the cone and then clean both surfaces with acetone to remove any oil residue. With a SS shaft you also score the contact surface of the shaft ... but with carbon shafts I would probably want to avoid that as it might speed up corrosion. You then mix a little slow cure epoxy (5 minute epoxy doesn't work well) and then if possible add some glass beads or shafting beads (same as used to epoxy golf shafts). The ideal cone set is when the flopper is fully open it touches the cone. This gives additional strength to the flopper as it gives it some extra support when it is at maximum stress. Cones dramatically improve the performance of shafts in many ways. They streamline shaft flight and improve accuracy and penetration on target. They also protect the flopper pin from damage if you hit rocks or other hard material and of course they buttress the flopper when it is fully opened. The advantages are so much and the added cost is so little that I really don't understand why not everyone is using them. As for galvanic corrosion ... really not much difference in SS to carbon metal and most likely the shaft will rust at the pin or back before the cone comes off. To be honest I haven't really tried a carbon shaft with cone much but the few times I did the shaft became damaged before the cone did. Water salinity where I dive is double what it normally is and so carbon shafts are not a good option. With carbon shaft you just have to think of them as disposable shafts and plan on changing them often.

Last edited by spearq8; 08-20-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:08 AM   #9
Marco

When you combine two different metals in a conductive media (sea water), you'll have electrolytic corrosion. I won't do that.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #10
daintreediver

ok so maybe I shouldnt bother with cones on SA shafts? Anyone else out there tried a SS cone on Carbon shafts ??
Old 08-21-2020, 12:15 AM   #11
spearq8

I don't think galvanic corrosion will be an issue with carbon shafts that are coated and probably the epoxy layer will create some insulation. Of course with any carbon shaft you will eventually get corrosion, but the voltage will probably migrate in the area of least resistance ... which is your shaft notch connection to your stainless steel trigger mech. I am guessing you are using a stainless steel trigger with your carbon shaft.

If galvanic corrosion concerns you a good idea is to have a magnesium sacrifical anode on your grip and have it contact your SS trigger. The idea would be to have the largest voltage change at the magnesium washer ... which can be replaced easily. This should protect your shaft much better even if you don't use a SS cone.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:58 AM   #12
Murdoch

Hi,

Sorry to tag a further question onto your original.
2 years ago I had some custom spears made in the US.
Stainless, diameter, length, flopper placement, shark fins etc... all to order.
Arrived in great shape, all still in great shape and I can't speak highly enough of them.
Unfortunately I've lost all the original paperwork and emails and can't recall their name.
They only did the square cut notch though, but as I was using these on neptonics mechs it was perfect.

I'm want to get in touch for some new guns, but can't find them.
If anyone can point me in the direction or recall the name (just throw them out there please), I'd be very appreciative.

Adrenaline spears, or something along those lines I think.

Daintreediver, if someone can jog my memory, then that'd be my input to your question But as you are using SA shafts I assume you are after the euro notch?

Cheers in advance
Murdoch
Murdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #13
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
Hi,

Sorry to tag a further question onto your original.
2 years ago I had some custom spears made in the US.
Stainless, diameter, length, flopper placement, shark fins etc... all to order.
Arrived in great shape, all still in great shape and I can't speak highly enough of them.
Unfortunately I've lost all the original paperwork and emails and can't recall their name.
They only did the square cut notch though, but as I was using these on neptonics mechs it was perfect.

I'm want to get in touch for some new guns, but can't find them.
If anyone can point me in the direction or recall the name (just throw them out there please), I'd be very appreciative.

Adrenaline spears, or something along those lines I think.

Daintreediver, if someone can jog my memory, then that'd be my input to your question But as you are using SA shafts I assume you are after the euro notch?

Cheers in advance
Murdoch
I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but is it Addiction Spears? They're over in Cali and made my bluewater shaft. They do custom work on shafts, but do both euro and american cut
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #14
popgun pete

https://redtidespearfishing.com/coll...argun-shafts-1
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:14 AM   #15
Murdoch

Hi Musubi,
That's them. Not sure how I missed that in your comment. Sorry.
Yes in Aus, but they did exactly what I was chasing without fuss and the cost per spear (bought 8 of them) was worth it.
Cheers,
Murdoch
Murdoch is offline   Reply With Quote