Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Skewt

Belt Reel vs Float Line

Hey I was wondering you all's opinion on belt reels or float lines when it comes to pole spears. I've been using a float line recently but it would sometimes yoke me and my spear. What do you guys use?
Skewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Watergator

Re: Belt Reel vs Float Line

For me it depends on the scenario. If I'm diving open water with little current then I prefer the float line. Diving the oil rigs or anywhere with a lot of overhead and the belt reel would get the nod. The other thing to consider is the fish you're targeting. I would be reluctant to use a reel if the fish would be able to wrap up deeper than I can dive (shooting AJs over a wreck). In that case I would go for a float line so that I can keep them off the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Triton

Re: Belt Reel vs Float Line

Definitely agree with what Watergator said. Belt reels have gotten really popular with my customers lately. I carry both styles but always recommend a quick detachable belt reel bracket to people coming into the shop. Things go south fast when they do and it's comforting to know I can quickly ditch it
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote