Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
CitoRat4Ever
I bungee my freezer shut

NEW Spiny Lobster Commission Approved by Governor.

https://www.edhat.com/news/governor-...ster-fisheries

Thank God we are finally addressing all those whales getting tangled in buoy lines!

And let's figure out a way to export even more CA lobsters to ****ing Asia.

Nicholas DuMong - Ex-President, Santa Barbara Freedivers - I'm out bitches!

http://www.wongspearguns.com/
CitoRat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Lompoc Local
Errin

Re: NEW Spiny Lobster Commission Approved by Governor.

This is a ****ing fluff piece. Doesn't even tell us what's really going on. Sounds like a good way to increase profits at taxpayer expense. WTF?

SACRAMENTO—Governor Brown has signed Assembly Bill 944, authored by Assemblymember Monique Limón (D-Santa Barbara). AB 944 will authorize the creation of the Spiny Lobster Commission, an instrument to proactively address business needs, industry techniques and sustainability. The news comes as the Santa Barbara Fishermen’s Market is having its Ribbon Cutting on Saturday, October 7.

“This is really an effort of the fishers, businesses and conservation groups coming together to proactively solve problems,” said Assemblymember Limón. “With AB 944, the Spiny Lobster Commission will be able to carry out programs of education, marketing and research to promote our local product, and to do so in a way that is sustainable.”

The Spiny Lobster Commission will be tasked with developing fisher-led partnerships to reduce entanglement of whales with lobster trap gear, funding and guiding scientific study of seafood safety in light of rising rates of bio toxin loads linked to warming oceans and implementing new technology to increase the value, quality and competitiveness of California’s spiny lobster in global markets.

“The California Spiny Lobster fishery is a well-managed and lucrative fishery, but faces some difficult challenges ahead related to climate change and global markets. A new marketing commission will enable the fishermen take an active role in problem solving these challenges in collaboration with regulators and buyers,” said Chris Voss, a spiny lobster fisherman and President of Commercial Fishermen of Santa Barbara, Inc.

The California Spiny Lobster fishery employs over 150 small, owner-operated fishing boats in Southern

California and their crews. Landings of lobster across 20 ports generated $13.7 million in 2016. The industry supports several large processing and transshipment businesses targeting a growing domestic and export markets. The fishery is sustainable and healthy, but has challenges facing its future.

“The Spiny Lobster fleet is a vital component of Santa Barbara's working waterfront, representing an estimated 30% of the economic value of our local catch. Making sure the Lobster Fishery has the resources and organizational capacity to be resilient and sustainable into the future will bring ancillary benefits to keep our port infrastructure going for all of our fisheries,” said Kim Selkoe, Executive Director of Commercial Fishermen of Santa Barbara, Inc. and a marine scientist at UC Santa Barbara.

The establishment of a commission will also facilitate a research program to develop improved harvesting and processing practices, an integrated approach to fishery management, and more efficient resource assessment, monitoring and protection tools.

“The Nature Conservancy is working to advance solutions to improve how we manage and protect California’s ocean resources. This bill represents a major opportunity for leaders in the spiny lobster fishery to take on new roles in advancing a more sustainable fishery and in support of healthy oceans and we appreciate Assemblymember Limón’s leadership in making this happen,” said the Nature Conservancy of California’s Senior Fisheries Project Director Tom Dempsey.

AB 944 was signed on October 5, 2017, and will become law on January 1, 2018.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
GhostApe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
This is a ****ing fluff piece. Doesn't even tell us what's really going on. Sounds like a good way to increase profits at taxpayer expense. WTF?
Pretty much. Taxpayers are subsidizing the commercial lobster fishery to provide "necessary" management and marketing. Of course, the management is done by a commission of commercial lobster fishermen with a state-funded budget. It's not crazy to think this will have some bad impacts on the recreational side (and in general). At the very least, we all get to pay for lobster commercials and lobbyists now.

The actual bill doesn't mention whales or toxins... the author of the article pulled that out of his pee-hole.
GhostApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Lompoc Local
Errin

I never heard about this while it was going through committee or any other review and it's already been signed. Too late to do anything now.

What a ****ing sham

Old 10-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Pfish

What do you expect for a Governor who now makes it legal for a person who knowingly gives AIDS to somebody else not a criminal act. This liberal state sucks.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
norcalsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfish View Post
What do you expect for a Governor who now makes it legal for a person who knowingly gives AIDS to somebody else not a criminal act. This liberal state sucks.
Quit bitching about the liberal state you live in and LEAVE. We do not want you here.

This is just like the war on drugs - it DOES NOT work. Legalize and provide treatment and you control the situation.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
Pfish

Legalize giving AIDS to someone? Cali is worse off than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #8
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

this is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a while. Whoever comes up with these schemes knows what they are doing.

I'm disgusted
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 PM   #9
carrasco

Lobster conservation through commercial marketing by lobster fishermen?
Whales trapped by a rope dangling from bouyie? Never heard of it, much less witnessed it.

This kind of bullshit is everywhere- Consider that Jenner (a man) won woman of the year!

Classic Orwell definition of Doublethink: The act of simultaneously accepting two mutually contradictory beliefs as correct.

How many of us have drank the juice?
Have we been lulled into such imbecility that this kind of shit should somehow makes sense to us?

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #10
WESTBURY

How about the new California gender pronoun law?
Call a transgender person the wrong pronoun and you can go to jail.

Sorry for the derail.

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
lobster conservation through commercial marketing by lobster fishermen?
yass!!!

Old 10-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #12
Mr. Sunshine

Ban the commercial sale of CA lobster outside of the US.
Mr. Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #13
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sunshine View Post
Yes please!

Old 10-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #14
Red Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sunshine View Post
Why?
Red Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #15
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Zeppelin View Post
Why?
Because most of the commercially caught lobsters in California are sold to China. They don't sell California lobsters in Californian restaurants anymore because they can get more money by selling it to China.

Kinda sucks when your state's natural resource is getting shipped overseas just so a few people can profit from it. It's supposed to be a resource that all of California enjoys. Not just a few commercial fishermen.