Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Technical Spearfishing Instruction

So, why go deeper beneath the waterline? That remains a challenging question. Spearfishing is a passionate sport. Free divers and scuba divers love the beautiful sights, the risk, the amazing sea life, the buddy friendships, the weightlessness, and the satisfying experience of temporary departure from the normal world of most people. Going deeper than the recreational depth limit of 130 feet is a natural progression for many divers. And, that means getting some expert training from a qualified technical diving instructor. My technical diving certifications are Deep Air, Decompression Procedures, Advanced Nitrox, Extended Range, Technical Diver and Solo Diver. In my opinion, you absolutely must get comparable training and certification levels before you attempt to do technical spearfishing.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of having the proper training and certifications to do technical spearfishing safely. I would advise you to seek out competent technical instruction at your local dive shop or elsewhere in your community. I am not endorsing the following instructors in any way, but here are some Florida Tech Instructors that are spearfishing friendly:

Palm Beach, Florida Tech Instructor Diederick van Haeften is a Course Director for NAUI and multi-agency Instructor for ACUC, TDI/SDI, HSA, etc...With over twenty five years in the Business, he is a technical Instructor with TDI and IANTD and teaches over 160 courses in diving at colleges, children’s camps, fire and police departments etc. Diederick is my tech instructor. He offers a great "Five in One" beginning Technical Diving Course as follows:

TDI Decompression Procedures....... (Regularly $425.00)
IANTD Advance Eanx Diver............ (Regularly $350.00)
IANTD Deep Air ........................... (Regularly $300.00)
SDI SOLO DIVING CERT................. (Regularly $395.00)
TDI A.Nitrox to 150ft-80%Mix@30ft... (Regularly $350.00)
Total Regular Prices: $1,820.00

"Five in One" Special Price: $ 998.00*

*Manuals, Gas, Pool fees if any, Gear Rental if any and Dive Boat Fees are extra. Seven evenings or week-end Lecture Sessions, two Pool Sessions and 10 to 12 dives. Contact Diederick van Haeften at his phone number 845-866-4551 or his e-mail scubascience@hotmail.com

Tampa Bay, Florida Tech Instructor Chad Carney has been spearfishing for 33 years and teaching Diving Instruction for 28 years. He has taught thousands of divers of all levels in the Tampa Bay area since 1977. He is certified by Scuba Diving International and Technical Diving International (SDI/TDI) to teach from beginning scuba diving all the way to entry level trimix. Chad specializes in personal dive training for Freediving, Spearfishing, Kids Scuba, Open Water Scuba, Refresher Courses, Advanced Open Water, as well as most Specialties like Nitrox, Advanced Nitrox, Decompression, and Trimix. Contact Chad Carney at his phone number 727-423-7775 or his e-mail chadcarney@verizon.net

Pompano Beach, Florida Tech Instructor Jim Mims is the President and Chief Technical Instructor at Ocean Diving Inc. He is an accomplished boat captain and also serves on the Board of Advisors for IANTD. Captain Jim has been teaching diving since 1977 and founded Ocean Diving Inc. in 1979. Ocean Diving Inc. offers IANTD and DAN Instructor Certification courses as well as IANTD Recreational, Technical and Rebreather Diver Certification courses. Contact Jim Mims at his phone number 954-849-DEEP or his e-mail DiveTek@OceanDiving.com

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996

Last edited by SpearMax; 03-29-2006 at 07:25 AM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Scubado
Scubado

Re: Technical Spearfishing Instruction

question??? I just got cert. in TDI - adv. nitrox 22-100% nitrox and decompression proc. to allow me to go to 150ft. why all the other cert.? besides Solo that speaks for it self. I'm asking becuase I'm very interested in going all the way to trimix. So I am wonder the differance in schools Thanks!!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
RichT

Tony,
I can see this as a very interesting subject. It should make for some lively discussion as well.
In addition to the courses youve recommended... I think it should be mandatory for anyone wishing to dive deeper than the recreational limit of 130fsw should be required to read the book "Deep Descent".

Its a great book on just how much trouble you can get yourself into if not trained and prepared properly.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Scubado
Scubado

Rich is that book on the same lines as "the last dive" this is a good book if you haven't read it. I'll check out the "deep Descent" thanks P.S. not really questioning anybody, just learning more about tech diving. its very interesting .
Old 03-29-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
Lefty

This is a timely new topic. I'm currently taking an advanced nitrox / decompression techniques course. Once certified, I might have to find some new dive buddies who have similar interests and training. Very cool.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTaylor
Tony,I can see this as a very interesting subject. It should make for some lively discussion as well. In addition to the courses youve recommended... I think it should be mandatory for anyone wishing to dive deeper than the recreational limit of 130fsw should be required to read the book "Deep Descent". Its a great book on just how much trouble you can get yourself into if not trained and prepared properly.

I fully agree Rich. Great reading suggestion! I have had some close calls myself. That is why I preface just about everything I say about this subject of technical spearfishing with warnings and disclaimers about getting trained right. This is not something to take lightly. I know guys that would try to "bounce dive" that tower you see in my video on 31% Nitrox thinking they won't go below 130 feet. That is just crazy thinking. Sh*t happens, especially when spearing! The lesson here is that big fish can pull you down to the bottom or into wrecks and simply kill you if you do not plan for narcosis, oxygen toxicity, and increased air consumption at great depth. One must always assume they will be on the bottom for one reason or another and plan accordingly.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

Old 03-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

If you are thinking about getting tech dive training in the Tampa Bay area then THE place to go is Depth Perception in Brandon (813-689-3483 www.depthperception.com). Not only do they have tech nitrox and helitrox courses specifically tailored for spearfishing, but they have been a sponsor of the Spearboard Open every year since its inception. They also provide all the training for the City of Tampa PD, City of Tampa Fire Department, and Hillsborough County PD dive teams. Ask for Ira or Jackie, and let them know you saw this on Spearboard. Members who have completed tech training at Depth Perception:

Bgbill
Jaizzen
**********Tampa
Fizisition
ArmorDave
Armorkillshot
Shooter Dan
Financial Advis
....and yours truly El Slin...errr....Dive4Blood.
Dive4Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
Scubado
Scubado

Tony, Hopefully I did not offend. My instructor only teaches TDI, so I'm tring to figure out the difference between the other cert. compared to TDI. Everybody always have their on style. I want to figure out which I want to go
Old 03-29-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubado
question??? I just got cert. in TDI - adv. nitrox 22-100% nitrox and decompression proc. to allow me to go to 150ft. why all the other cert.? besides Solo that speaks for it self. I'm asking becuase I'm very interested in going all the way to trimix. So I am wonder the differance in schools Thanks!!

I enjoyed the materials from both TDI and IANTD. It was nice to see different written explanations of the same technical subjects. The standards in terms of time in the classroom and in the water are probably similar. I think you could go to the websites of these agencies and compare standards.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

Quote:

If you already have the Adv. Nitrox and Deco. you can go straight into Normoxic Trimix. this is a great class from TDI.

Dago.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:57 PM   #11
Scubado
Scubado

Tony, Thanks
Dago I went to TDI I could find Normoxic Trimix, is there a specific site thanks I read a post that you are big into wrecks, I have been doing alot of reading on wrecks and getting really into them. thats why are the questions about this stuff. thanks guys
Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

Quote:
Tony, Thanks
Dago I went to TDI I could find Normoxic Trimix, is there a specific site thanks I read a post that you are big into wrecks, I have been doing alot of reading on wrecks and getting really into them. thats why are the questions about this stuff. thanks guys

I believe they are calling it Entry level trimix now. The names are always changing.
Did I say i like wrecks wrecks wrecks..!!!!

Dago.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:15 PM   #13
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Divers that want to spearfish deep would do well to get training from instructors that are into the sport. Whether TDI, IANTD or a Johnny-come-lately certification, the purpose of the instruction and experience of the instructor are the most important aspects.

Wreck and cave divers tend to use equipment and techniques that are specific for their sport, which can often be substantially different than that of spearfishermen.

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:30 PM   #14
Scubado
Scubado

Thanks all good info.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:05 AM   #15
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Carney
Divers that want to spearfish deep would do well to get training from instructors that are into the sport. Whether TDI, IANTD or a Johnny-come-lately certification, the purpose of the instruction and experience of the instructor are the most important aspects.

Wreck and cave divers tend to use equipment and techniques that are specific for their sport, which can often be substantially different than that of spearfishermen.

Chad
Very good point, Chad,
Current entry level "tech" training for the most part only concerns itself with "non-task" related dive gear configurations. And even the most advanced task oriented configurations could pose safety issues when merged with the inherent complications of spearfishing. Thorough knowledge, practice and experience are paramount when considering pack setups for spearfishing in deep water. No one will use the same configuration and no "Gold Standard" configuration will cover all the bases for all situations.