Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
makomaster
sb's most hated

Bent or pulled muscle???

I've been commercial spearfishing for 12 years,I've never been bent bad enough to go the chamber,but this current situatin has me a little worried.About three weeks ago I was building a speargun.I was filing on a muzzle to fit it into my stock.I was mad filing for like thirty minutes.I noticed my right arm was sore.I started diving and after about the third day when I'd get up from a dive myarm was sore as hell.Ibuprofen would work but when I'd dive again it would hurt like hell for about an hour.Now anytime I do anything streenous with that arm its sore. I figured since I wasn,t showing any other sighns it wasn't the bends.Now after the lobster opening I was ringing tails and my lastdive it hrt so bad I didn't dive again.After doing extra deco with 02 still really no releif.Anybody with creds have any suggestions?
makomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Capytan
So far from salt...

Re: Bent or pulled muscle???

No cred, but does your whole arm, joint, muscle hurt or what part exactly? Any tingling or numbness at any time? Is your wrist or fingers swollen? Hope you figure out what it is, until then ice and a good NSAID. Carpal tunnel maybe?
Capytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
makomaster
sb's most hated

If I do something strenous,ie move a heavy 02 bottle,crank on my bandit reel it hurts right where my elbow,fore arm and bicep meet.I noticed it tends to creep up my bicep and into my shoulder area,mainly on my back.No tingling or numbness but after a dive it felt like my arm wasn't there,like I couldn't feel myself move it if that makes any sense.It feels like more its in the muscle tissue.No swelling anywhere.I've had old timers tell me if you were really bent than you would not be standing.I dohave a pinched nervein my back from a boating accident,so who knows.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Capytan
So far from salt...

Like I said, no Dr. creds here. Hope you get everthing worked out. Sounds like a call to a Doc would be advisable at this time. Get that arm back to new so you can keep slingin' steel!
Capytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
pelagic hunter

sounds like you have a neuropathy, either peripheral or central....i.e. you got a nerve problem....its either coming from your neck or its getting pinch after the nerve leaves your neck....another problem that is possible is biceps tendinitis...i.e. tennis elbow. its hard to tell without further testing. but either way it wont get better unless you rest it...the fact that your arm went numb and couldn't feel it points to a nerve problem rather than a muscule/ tendon problem....rest/ heat/ ice/ ibuprofen....again disclaimer !!! you wont know unless you get further testing so don't hold me liable for trying to give you some advice in the land of free attronys trying to sue doctors !!!
pelagic hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Bulit7

Could be a small bubble that got your nerve.

If u research some of my threads, u will find one about a hit, I thought I took, in the neck shoulder area.

To this day, sometimes, after diving, I feel a pain in that same area.

I think bubbles get atracted to areas of previous damage and or injury.
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
jwelch_81

I would go with carpal tunnel or something similar. Get some muscle relaxers and tie that arm up. Don't use it for awhile. When the tendons get inflamed they sometimes pinch nerves and that causes the pain to spread and the numbness tingling feeling. I myself have this happen sometimes from pulling on wrenches to much in a short time. Next time your doing something repetitious like operating a file don't do it for over 5 min at a time.
jwelch_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Just blame it all on Bursidis. At least that's how I think it's spelled.

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
makomaster
sb's most hated

Thanks for all advice guys,since I am self employed and a dumb-ass commercial fisherman I don't have health care,so un less I'm really about to die I can't afford going to the doctor outside of seeing my chiropracter.Hopefully I can get some OBAMA CARE and cure the situation,until then I'll just take it easy and find some happy pills.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:19 AM   #10
pelagic hunter

obama care wouldnt do you a damn bit good !! but just take ibuprofen and rest as much as you can...itll get better...sounds like a peripheral problem.
pelagic hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
BigMako
Keith Simmons

If Ibuprofen did anything to alleviate the pain, you are not bent. Bends pain is deep, boring, and nothing relieves the pain. Not position, not medication, nothing. However, remember that Bends must be treated within 72 hours to assure no lasting sequelae. The faster you get to a chamber, the better and quicker the outcome. Oxygen immediately upon noticing symptoms may alleviate the pain, but recompression is usually still recommended.

Last edited by BigMako; 08-20-2009 at 05:47 AM.
BigMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
DockRat

I have had tennis elbow. 3 months of therapy, electric shock treatment and then a cortazone shot. That was a year ago and it is 90% at best to this day. I could lift 100 lbs + but my elbow would give out if I reached for a cup of coffee. It sucks that the last 3 years my body is starting to hurt alot.
still working on my feet 6 - 7 days a week.

At 49 I'm having
heel spurs and my ankle goes out alot (old skateboading injuries)

What is your age ?

It sucks getting old because my mind feels young but my body doesn't.
PD41
DockRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
Goin'Deep
SLAYER

Geoff,

I had that same kind of soreness for a while after I took that hit up in Carolina with Jimmy Williams. It took a good couple weeks before it completely wore off. I didn't have a chance to read but a couple of your posts, but how long have you been having the pain?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Leons_Bad_Side

No creds but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. Right or left arm?
Leons_Bad_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #15
Keysdivers

Perfect symptom of tendonitis.
Test - press on the spot where the pain radiates. If you feel any relief - tendonitis. I had it, know how painful it can be.
Relief - ice the joint. Find a sport shop/tennis shot. They sell many different look like elastic bands you wear over the spot (usually have directions). Instant relief till it heals itself.