Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 10-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #16
dctrjayyy

Re: New Wahoo Charter - Key West

Looks rad. How long of a run is it each way and how bad are the shark? I've done the TX wahoo thing a few times but the run is very long and sharks are relentless.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Most of the areas are 22 miles or closer and that is what the trip includes. If it is really rough we can make 2/3 of the trip in 4' of water then we only have to brave the seas for 7 miles or so. There are some areas further, up to 40 miles, that I will go if requested.

Having dove Louisiana and seen enough TX wahoo videos I can tell you it is nothing like that here. We have bulls that can be there or not. Some days we shoot wahoo all day without seeing a shark. Some days we have to stop using chum because the sharks start to come up and when we do stop, they leave.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #18
dctrjayyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
Most of the areas are 22 miles or closer and that is what the trip includes. If it is really rough we can make 2/3 of the trip in 4' of water then we only have to brave the seas for 7 miles or so. There are some areas further, up to 40 miles, that I will go if requested.

Having dove Louisiana and seen enough TX wahoo videos I can tell you it is nothing like that here. We have bulls that can be there or not. Some days we shoot wahoo all day without seeing a shark. Some days we have to stop using chum because the sharks start to come up and when we do stop, they leave.
Sounds great. I'll try and put it together with my regulars. Will be in touch
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #19
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Sounds good. If you have any questions at all let me know.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #20
Castronova
The Conch Republic

We had to do a little work for them yesterday but it paid off. I took Commander of the Army Special Forces Dive Team and good friend James Blackburn yesterday. We started out west and only had one school of 2 come through from 7:30 - 9:30 or so. We had a half day planned to went east and after about 30 minutes had a single 30# fish come through. Then a single very nice fish that we couldn't get into us either, probably over 65#'s.

About 10 minutes later the mother load came in. I look down and Blackburn is lined up on a very nice fish. I hold my dive not to spook the school. While watching him aim I could see about 15 fish. He shoots and I turn around to see another 20+ fish coming in. I dive down but all the fish near me seem small so after 30 seconds I surface as they swim away. There are now fish completely surrounding me but 30' away. I wait until I see some nicer fish, face them, then dive and hold. Now that they don't feel threatened they all come in. The biggest comes directly below me. I didn't think it was much more than 30-35# until it ran.

I got a new 80# darkwaters skinny float line I wanted to try. This fish took me at least 400 yards from the boat. After Blackburn shot his fish went south and the boat with him. I shot later and the fish took me east. I don't think I've ever swam so hard. The fish ripped the float from my hands so hard, 3 times in a row, I thought there was no way it wasn't a large bull shark. Until 10 minutes later it finally tires and I start pulling it up. It was just the wahoo. My wahoo calibration meter is off I can tell you that.

We ended the trip after landing the 2 fish. They went 38 and 44#'s. Not giant but very nice fish.

I also finally sanded down and polished my dome port so I took a few photos of James with his fish.

I have Nov. 10 and 11th booked but still have the 9th and 12th around those dates for the next full moon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_8667.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	244331   Click image for larger version

Name:	851C7886-5523-49CE-86A5-534DA9B16360.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	244332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6542.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	244333  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #21
Castronova
The Conch Republic

It's been quiet here as it happens sometimes with these bluewater ghosts. We've made a few attempts without any luck on the wahoo since the initial run but there are reports of them showing up heavy yesterday. The stream is projected to start moving closer by weeks end coinciding with the new moon Tuesday. The chances of fish should be really good. I can tell you if I don't have trips I'll be out there shooting them myself.

I still have available Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday afternoon.

While we saw plenty fish in October we usually regard Thanksgiving week as the beginning of the season. The initial migration west can result in enormous numbers of fish.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #22
Red Tide

We will see you in December. Save a few dumb ones for the old guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
It's been quiet here as it happens sometimes with these bluewater ghosts. We've made a few attempts without any luck on the wahoo since the initial run but there are reports of them showing up heavy yesterday. The stream is projected to start moving closer by weeks end coinciding with the new moon Tuesday. The chances of fish should be really good. I can tell you if I don't have trips I'll be out there shooting them myself.

I still have available Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday afternoon.

While we saw plenty fish in October we usually regard Thanksgiving week as the beginning of the season. The initial migration west can result in enormous numbers of fish.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #23
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tide View Post
We will see you in December. Save a few dumb ones for the old guy.
Can't wait, will absolutely be a great time!

__________________________________________________ _____

Thread update:

Nov. 25th

I took a good crew out last Monday the 25th to see if the fish had showed. The west current was still on the outside which is not ideal. I had a hunch and ran them west much further than normal. The vis was shot down there but we marked a lot more life. We jumped into the 35' green vis and there was a 50# wahoo sitting at the flasher as another swam away. Unfortunately they took a shot and missed. About 30 minutes later they had another shot but Justin was coming up from a deep dive and didn't have much air so he had to rush and missed again. We had the shots, just didn't connect.

Nov. 30 & Dec. 1

Alex and his gf Talia flew in from L.A. and their friend Pierre flew in from Detroit to meet them. The new moon had just passed. We looked close to home and couldn't find vis. I took them out west on Saturday and we found decent water, 40-50' of vis, but not the deep purple we like for wahoo. They stuck it out for most of the day but all radio reports were that everyone was struggling catching anything. The current switched to east for the first time in weeks. Everything was getting shakin up, and in the right direction but it just wasn't there yet. We hit the reef and they shot some yellow jacks for dinner. Some days are slow, they make for solid divers.

The next day we had more info from the charts and the day before. We went straight west and the hunch was accurate. The guys jumped in to 110' of vis, deep blue, perfect current. We hadn't heard of the big schools of fish yet but this could be the turn.

They were in the water by 7:10 am, at 7:30 Alex takes a dive and the float flies. A single fish came through and he got the strike. The hit was low and thankfully his dive buddy secured the catch with a head shot (the fish tore a little but the photo shows were he cut the whole belly out and gutted the fish).The fish weighed at 30#, gutted. The next hour or two were a little slow but around 10:30 another single shows. The fish circles back to the flashers and Pierre spines the 34# fish.

The conditions started to change offshore and these guys needed to get back to process fish and drive the Ft. Lauderdale to catch flights in the morning. After hitting the reef for a few we headed to the dock.

I can't say enough about divers who have a goal and stick it out, then get limited opportunities and execute perfectly. This is what it is all about.