Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Recipe Corner > Recipes Here!

Recipes Here! Here's your little corner to demonstrate your culinary skills.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:13 AM   #1
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Dogtooth Recipes Anyone?

Since this is a relatively difficult piece of fish to come across there are almost no Google results when you search dogtooth tuna recipes.

Most of my dogtooth has been cooked traditionally here in the south pacific, or made into ceviche. Traditional is throwing whatever pieces of fish into a pot with water, coconut cream, and onions. I could take that or leave it. Ceviche wasn't the best I've had, but it worked out. Raw the fish is delicate and has decent flavor and texture without aging, but again, not the best raw fish I've eaten.

Let's give people a few reasons to shoot them on this thread!

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:33 AM   #2
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Re: Dogtooth Recipes Anyone?

Just a bunch of posers here, or people that don't actually eat their fish?

Old 03-29-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
virgili

dt tuna is called "white tuna" and get tasted by sharks... without mayonnaise..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02046.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	237568  

www.divefreeapp.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/spearfishingmotion
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
virgili

the right pic!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dt tuna comoros.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	237569  

www.divefreeapp.com

Old 03-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgili View Post
dt tuna is called "white tuna" and get tasted by sharks... without mayonnaise..
Yes, iso maguro is still very rare to find in stores. Care to share a recipe?

Old 04-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
HurricaneBK

Never had the chance to have dogtooth but how does it come out seared? For yellowfin and blackfin tuna I usually rub in sesame oil and a little salt then apply sesame seeds and sear on high heat in a cast iron skillet. If you have a spicy mayo like a chipotle mayo, rubbing a piece in that and searing can be very good as well. While I like raw tuna, I think a slight sear with a seasoning or sesame seeds can be even better. Worth a try on dogtooth, let us know how it comes out.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneBK View Post
Never had the chance to have dogtooth but how does it come out seared? For yellowfin and blackfin tuna I usually rub in sesame oil and a little salt then apply sesame seeds and sear on high heat in a cast iron skillet. If you have a spicy mayo like a chipotle mayo, rubbing a piece in that and searing can be very good as well. While I like raw tuna, I think a slight sear with a seasoning or sesame seeds can be even better. Worth a try on dogtooth, let us know how it comes out.
It is a white meat as is evidenced earlier. Never had blackfin. Dont know if the cooking comparison to yellow is valid due to the difference in the meat.

My experience.

The meat is VERY soft. Most sushi stuff needs to age. This was almost too soft for me.

Flavor is generally mild, slight mackerel thing going on in the background. I wouldnt write home about it raw, but lots of people rave. I've had it luke warm off a knife though, so some modest prep probably makes it a world better.

Ceviche. Decent - Id rather use yellowtail.

Had some cooked tongan style which is just boiling it in coconut milk with onions. Add a little salt. Fine. Again, had we been more creative I think its possible we might have unearthed something. I just figured Id give a forum a go.

Final report after eating two smaller dogtooth. Pretty good. Worth shooting. But definitely not the best fish that I have eaten.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Now I've eaten four dogtooth...

Two new styles...proper sashimi cooled with fixings and also a Tongan dish called ota ika "raw fish".

Sashimi -

Bleed and prep meat as you would any tuna.

Slice meat to your desired size and thickness for sashimi...

Now - the sauce.

This was a new one, shown this by a south african...

Soya + honey + ginger + cilantro WOW!

Also wasabi on the side for those who like it (me included - probably could have mixed it into the above as well)

That was great. Ate it with rice on the small squares of kirkland seaweed and it was bomb. So far the best way that I have eaten it. Blew everything else out of the water. That being said - the other ways weren't great. In fact, Id hesitate to recommend ceviche at this point. The flavor in this fashion was incredibly mild. Almost nothing. But that sauce tastes great. So no worries.

Ota Ika

This is a very traditional tongan food - and can be as simple as coconut milk and raw fish. That's not so good. In fact, id go as far as to say it was bad. But this was great.

Prep fish as you would for ceviche.

Coat and toss fish in citrus (we used tongan lemons, which look like limes, but arent)
We tossed this several times...but maintained a "raw" interior. The meat was not allowed to fully tense up. I think this was a good thing, but cook to your liking...the ceviche was over night and was soaked in lemon juice and that turned the flavor of the fish unpleasant in my mind...almost a canned tuna flavor. The method we used here did increase flavor, but didnt take it to a point of being unreasonable.

Our fish marinated in this fashion for about two hours I would say.

Then, it was mixed with coconut milk, and the following vegetables, cut to your liking

Peppers of any kind/color. We are trying to add flavor and crunch. You choose. I think they mostly look the same, but I like a little spiciness as well.

Onions. I prefer red.

Cucumber - this was a first in ota ika as far as I have seen and it was great.

Cilantro - also a first but I love the stuff.

I recommend that you add salt to taste.

This was great served with a few grilled cheese sandwiches to soak up all the amazing left over salty coconutty juices. Sounds weird, isnt.

Both of the above were paired with light beers.

Excellent. Hopefully a few more recipes after this weekend...Anyone else?

Old 06-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
Marco

Just an advice; when you prepare ceviche, don't let the fish in lime for too long. 10 minutes is more than enough. Slice it very thin, put some lime juice (not too much), cilantro, finely sliced onions and some salt. Chily (Jalapeño, serrano or habanero) goes good with it if you like it, also ginger. I like to pair it with fried green plantains (tostones).

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:18 AM   #10
virgili

Quote:
prepare ceviche,
a "Tico" style preparation
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ceviche.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	238430  

www.divefreeapp.com

Old 06-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Just an advice; when you prepare ceviche, don't let the fish in lime for too long. 10 minutes is more than enough. Slice it very thin, put some lime juice (not too much), cilantro, finely sliced onions and some salt. Chily (Jalapeño, serrano or habanero) goes good with it if you like it, also ginger. I like to pair it with fried green plantains (tostones).
Never slced thin. Cubes take time. Usually my ceviche receives amazing reviews. I will try this style. Everything else I follow pretty closely. Never tried ginger - but definitely have had it with tostones! Great!

The very light marinade time in the lime will be better with the dogtooth I think.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Here's a question - has anyone ever fronzen dogtooth fillets before?

I'm looking to potentially bring some back to the states, but thats a huge commitment if it just turns to mush which is my main concern.

The stuff doesnt last long around here and so I havent had a chance to experiment...have a vacuum sealer however...

Will report back at least when I have a chance to try myself. But figured Id open it up to see if anyone else had experience

Old 02-21-2019, 02:38 AM   #13
popgun pete

A SESAME CRUSTED LOIN OF DOGTOOTH TUNA WITH TOM YUM SAUCE, CRISPY GINGER AND COCONUT
http://www.kiranjethwa.net/recipes/a...r-and-coconut/
Author: Kiran Jethwa
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 1 hour

Ingredients
For the Tuna Loin :
800g Dog Tooth Tuna or King Mackerel Loin
100g Sesame Seeds
1 tsp. Crushed Black Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
Cling Film
1 Bunch Fresh Coriander to Garnish.
For the Tuna Belly Mousse :
1 White Onion
200g Butter
8 Cloves Garlic
200gms of Dog Tooth Tuna Belly or King Mackerel Belly
For the Crunchy Topping:
1 Fresh Coconut – Roughly Grated
2 Cloves Garlic – Finely Sliced
1 Large Bulb Ginger – Grated
For The Tom Yum Sauce:
1 Lemon Grass Stalk – Finely Sliced
2 Cloves Garlic
½ tbsp. Tom Yum Paste
1 tsp. Chopped Ginger
4 tsp. Cooking Oil
1 Tin Coconut Cream
Instructions
For the Tuna Loin: Place the sesame seeds, black pepper and salt into a large mixing bowl and combine. Then pour out into a roasting dish.
Then roll the whole tuna loin into this mixture, ensuring it picks up all of the seeds and spices. Then wrap it with some cling film gently so it has a beautiful coating of sesame seeds.
When you are ready to cook, with the cling film still on, portion the tuna loin into 200g medallions. Remove the cling film so each piece is beautifully coated in the crust.
For the crunchy topping:Fry the finely sliced garlic, grated ginger and grated fresh coconut Separately till each is brown and crispy, They cook at different rates so keep a keen eye on them.
Then combine them together and season to taste.
For the Tom Yum sauce:To a saucepan add the Tom Yum paste, garlic, ginger, and lemon grass with 2 tbsp. of the oil used to fry the coconut.
Then cook this on a high heat for 2 minutes to release the aromas of the spices. Now add the coconut cream and cook down for 10 minutes.
For the tuna belly mousse:Finely chop the white onions and garlic, then, in a hot pan, melt enough butter to submerge these completely and cook them gently until they are caramelised.
Thoroughly chop the tuna belly meat and add it to the now caramelized mixture. Cover, and let it cook down for 10 minutes
Once cooked, place in a food processor and Blitz until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Finally sear the tuna loin portions in hot oil until the sesame seeds brown. Ensure you have a nice brown crust on the outside and a medium rare centre.
To serve: Start with a base of tom yum sauce. Next, a sprinkle of fresh coriander leaves followed by the lovely seared tuna. A spoonful of the creamy mousse over the top and finally the crispy coconut, ginger and garlic topping.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:11 AM   #14
popgun pete

A bit of info on Dogtooth Tuna, which are not commercially harvested.

Dogtooth Tuna, Gymnosarda unicolor (Rüppell 1836)

Distribution

Distributed throughout the tropical Indo-West Pacific; in Australian waters found along the northern coast, from Cape Leveque (WA) to Brisbane (QLD), but absent from the Gulf of Carpentaria; occurs mostly at the exposed edges of coral reefs and near deep drop-offs.

Features

Dorsal fin XIII-XV, 0, 12-14; Anal fin 12-13; Pectoral fin 25-28; Gill rakers 11-14.

Second dorsal and anal fins followed by 6-7 and 6 finlets respectively. Body elongate and moderately compressed. Mouth large, maxilla (upper jaw), reaches to middle of eye, teeth large and conical, 14-31 in upper jaw and 10-24 in lower jaw. First gill arch with 11-14 gill rakers. Pectoral fins short, not reaching to below 10th first dorsal fin spine. Body mostly naked, with a well developed corselet, bands of scales along bases of dorsal and fins, patches of scales around pectoral and pelvic fin bases. Caudal peduncle with well developed keel, flanked on each side by a smaller keel. Lateral line undulates strongly. Swimbladder present.

Size

To at least 200 cm and 130 kg.
Colour

Blue-black dorsally and on sides, belly silvery. Lacks spots, lines or other markings. Anterior edge of first dorsal fin black, remaining fins grey.

Feeding

Known to feed on squid and fishes such as jacks, trevally and surgeonfishes.

Biology

Mature at around 65 cm fork length and spawn during summer months.

Fisheries

Not commercially fished to any great extent due to its relatively poor eating quality compared other tuna species. Highly regarded as a fighting species by gamefishers.

Conservation

Etymology

The generic name is from the Greek, gymno meaning "naked" in reference to its lack of scales, and sarda referring to the bonitos. The specific name unicolor means "single colour".

Species Citation

Thynnus (Pelamis) unicolor Rüppell 836, Fische des Rothen Meeres: 40, Pl. 12 (fig. 1), Jidda, Saudi Arabia, Red Sea.

Author

Schultz, S.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
StukNotAnchored

When I have a fish that is not a favorite (porkfish or porgies or most catfish) I generally put them in a a curry. They just serve as the protein backbone of such a meal. You are trying to make a centerpiece out of something most people say is not. Admirable for sure, but making life harder than it needs to be.