Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
michael.friend

Puget sound winter dive

Oh man, what a dive today. we got to the dive site at around 10:30 and the water was pretty much the same temperature as it was in the summer the last time I went in the sound. We stayed >30 feet because neither me or my dive buddy has a great breath hold time but ended up with 4 serf perch of a decent size. those little buggers are tough to get with a pole spear when you've been out of practice for so long. visibility was pretty close to 25 feet which was great. much better than last time. there were a bunch of dungies and a few red rock crab as well. overall a really fun dive, but cold when getting out of the water and getting dressed. I did bring a thermos full of hot water which i poured into my gloves, and then put back on several times. I picked up that trick on the Tips thread so thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4141 (1).jpg
Views:	379
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	213055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4134.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	213056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4138 (1).jpg
Views:	399
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	213057  
michael.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
tomo
The Old Man In The Sea

Re: Puget sound winter dive

Hi Michael,
That's quite the background for a spearing photo! I'm envious you were able to get out for such nice conditions, been nasty down this way. So, keep it up! And those perch are masters at giving you the narrow profile as soon as you even think about aiming at them.
tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
NW Spearo
Tom M

I've been all up and down that area many times. There are lots of surprisingly big perch in the 15-17 inch range. The big ones are smart and tricky and hard to shoot. I guess that's why they've lived long enough to grow so big. I remember a particularly funny situation where a big perch was hiding behind an old submerged pier piling about 12 feet below. As much as I tried to get an angle for a shot, that fish always swam to the other side of the piling. I found myself swimming in circles around the piling. I'm sure the fish had a good laugh at that.
NW Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
North Star
Max

Good job Michael! Those perch are good eating! Much respect for getting them with a pole spear!
Old 12-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Good job Michael! Those perch are good eating! Much respect for getting them with a pole spear!
So, what's the tip for good eating. Killed a couple one time. Fried it up. It kinda fell a apart and turned into a mushy mess.

Guess I wasn't doing it right.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
So, what's the tip for good eating. Killed a couple one time. Fried it up. It kinda fell a apart and turned into a mushy mess.

Guess I wasn't doing it right.
We always filleted them and then cooked them just like black rock fish - roll in mayonnaise, roll in Ritz cracker crumbs, and bake in the oven. Maybe the frying wasn't the best idea. Oven cooking seems to work better.

Last edited by North Star; 12-18-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: changed ingredient
North Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
cooljazz
Anastasia

Hey Michael!
FYI, this is the most contaminated spot in the whole Seattle area. Eating anything from this spot can seriously harm your health.
Just be aware...
cooljazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Kyle M
water is wonderful

In my opinion the best recipe for perch is ceviche. It firms up the flesh and takes in the lemon/lime flavor, as well as the flavor of other items you toss in.
Kyle M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
kehloken

North star I guess it would be like I do my crab cakes, as you described with the mayonnaise, I also put in Dijohn And a little bit a hot sauce.

So I'm glad you mention this because yeah the perch just fall apart, Mushy, and just not that great. Since it's about the only thing I can spear now I think I will go out and get some and make perch cakes.

Hey Michael don't worry about it, if it was true that the Fish are bad then people would be sick all over Seattle. Safeway sells salmon from the Duwamish the only thing is the little Indian trick is they sell it out of the Muckleshoot, so they don't really advertise that it is.
Been controversy of it for years but the Indians have their own testing data on the salmon themselves. Some Indians eat salmon every single day from the Duwamish and they're just fine.

Kyle ever since I had ceviche with the rockfish down in Oregon with you guys pretty much the only way I'll make ceviche. which is not good for you guys because I have to come down there to get them because the ocean conditions are easy compared to Washington coast in The winter.
Don't worry Darmes I will only clean out the rockfish not the lingcod!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
Northwest Diver
Cold Water Freediving

In regards to the fish and shell fish in that area. The Duwamish River and Elliot Bay are very polluted with lots of bad shizzle, PCB's, mercury etc. The Lower Duwamish River was declared a Superfund site! Here is a link to some info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duwamish_River Also, in the regulations pamphlet, page 20 is a Do Not Eat Advisory for the Lower Duwamish for Resident Fish, Shellfish and Crab. Migratory fish such as salmon may be ok as they do not spend a lot of time in the area but inform yourself before deciding to do so.
I personally would not eat any fish or crabs from that area as I am not looking to grow a third eyebrow. YMMV.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #11
kehloken

Northwest diver, I guess that's good info. I'll have to look at the link later when I have time.
Michael So if you do end up sick or anything as long as you document that you got the fish there When did not know about this, maybe you can sue Boeing because apparently they're paying for the cleanup of some sort that I herd years ago.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:38 AM   #12
JackAttack

What can you legally spearfish for this late in the season?

The rulebook specifies not spearing salmon and has spearfishing date for lings...

I didn't know we could go after other species this late!
JackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #13
searun
Shawn

Perch, Greenling and flounder.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #14
JackAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by searun View Post
Perch, Greenling and flounder.
@searun

Awesome. Thanks for the intel! No doubt ill check the books to make sure each area is still open.
JackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #15
searun
Shawn

In Washington it always pays to look over the regs before you get into the water. Every marine unit is different so it pays to review. In addition every April/May when the new "book" comes out there are always many new rules.

Greenling are a worthwhile species in my opinion. Get them on ice quick and they eat ok.

Good luck Jack...