Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-19-2021, 04:04 PM   #1
musubi

MVD Double Roller Mech

I stumbled on Mario's double roller mech that fits the MVD ZESO handle on Ermes' website so I decided to order one and try it out.

New mech on the left and original on the right.

The pin holes line up and the fit is perfect.

I did have one issue though. The side line release had too much forward play causing the wrapped shooting line to barely hang on. I removed the line release and carefully hammered the forward facing curve to bulge a little. I did this in a couple rounds. The line release now holds the line great.

Before:

After:

In shooting the gun with the new mech, it's a little smoother, but hardly noticeable. The original mech was performing just fine and I don't notice any difference in my shots. The line release is a better design and overall I don't intend to go back to the original mech.

I never thought Mario would've looked to making a mech for this handle, but it looks like he partnered with Hunt Master for this (vs MVD), and they have the same handle design as MVD.

I always wanted to incorporate a double roller mech into my guns and thought about going with the Pathos handles for that. I'm glad I waited since I think the MVD handle is better setup for rollers and installing a reel on the trigger guard. I really like the grip too on the MVD handle compared to the Pathos D'Angelo II (universal grip). Pathos was just too far for my index finger to comfortably reach the trigger.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:53 AM   #2
kodama

MVD Double Roller Mech

Good to know this mechanisme is available. It seems perfect for self builds indeed much better than the Pathos where the trigger to handle distance is far too large. I really like the MVD guns they are probably the best gun to buy if you are looking for a cheap option.

The line release issue you had is usually caused by the spear dimensions. More precisely by the distance between the notch and the tail of the spear. Did you try different shafts And did they have the same issue? You might want to try out different brands of shafts and see how this affects the position of the line release. Are you using US shafts? With their square notch they might change the geometry slightly causing the problem.
If the problem still persist with different shafts it is best to contact Mario since i am sure he would like to remedy the issue.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #3
musubi

Re: MVD Double Roller Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Good to know this mechanisme is available. It seems perfect for self builds indeed much better than the Pathos where the trigger to handle distance is far too large. I really like the MVD guns they are probably the best gun to buy if you are looking for a cheap option.

The line release issue you had is usually caused by the spear dimensions. More precisely by the distance between the notch and the tail of the spear. Did you try different shafts And did they have the same issue? You might want to try out different brands of shafts and see how this affects the position of the line release. Are you using US shafts? With their square notch they might change the geometry slightly causing the problem.
If the problem still persist with different shafts it is best to contact Mario since i am sure he would like to remedy the issue.
Thanks for the tip on the line release. It didn't dawn upon me that different butt ends of the shafts could affect that. I'll check it with different shafts to see.

The shafts I've stuck with is RA (7.5 mm, euro cut, wire fin), as long as I can find them in the configuration I want.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
popgun pete

The length of the shaft tail behind the rear notch can affect the line release orientation if the shaft leans on it. This certainly is the case with the C4 trigger mechanism, however that gun has a rocking sear tooth cradle and no backing projection on the sear lever. The Ermes Sub does have a backing projection which the spear tail hits to roll the sear lever upwards and this is what the line release lever leans against.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ermes Sub DR annotated.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	246589  

Last edited by popgun pete; 01-21-2021 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add a photo
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:09 PM   #5
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
The length of the shaft tail behind the rear notch can affect the line release orientation if the shaft leans on it. This certainly is the case with the C4 trigger mechanism, however that gun has a rocking sear tooth cradle and no backing projection on the sear lever. The Ermes Sub does have a backing projection which the spear tail hits to roll the sear lever upwards and this is what the line release lever leans against.
Gotcha. Thanks Pete for the detail!
Old 01-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #6
SEATUX

musubi....
I may have missed it, but I never saw a cost..
If you are going to compare the "Original" to a "copy" I would think cost enters the game, as does performance!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:57 PM   #7
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Yeah, I think there’s money and some proper research behind Huntmaster. In this case, I think they had picked up on the buzz of the Ermes trigger and felt it would help launch their product line. So, I’m fairly sure Huntmaster initiated this version and Ermes will indeed stamp his triggers with another logo if you pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #8
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
musubi....
I may have missed it, but I never saw a cost..
If you are going to compare the "Original" to a "copy" I would think cost enters the game, as does performance!
The DR mech is $77, not including shipping.
I think the main benefit here is a smoother trigger pull with the peace of mind knowing you won't run into any of the scratching and galling issues spearq8 and others have encountered with reverse trigger mechs. I may end up picking another one up for my BW setup since that's holding a bit higher loads.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #9
spearq8

I remember helping out with this trigger from some while back. Hunt from Australia (not to be confused with Hunt from Italy) had wanted to have a custom trigger for their handle as they were having too many problems with their original trigger. I did not realize this was actually an MVD handle, I had thought that MVD only made the trigger. This came at the same time that Mario was finally moving into MIM (something I have been trying to get him to do for almost 4 years). The shaft sear, Trigger sear and Line release are all MIM. Box is done with a custom mold and pin holes cut in the mold ... so right and left holes are perfectly lateral. It is a bit disappointing that the Line release has a bit of tolerance as that was not in the drawing. My guess is that Mario added it before production to ensure that he wouldn't get any shaft sears that won't lock up due to a slight tolerance in the parts. But really that was absolutely not necessary as with his new setup the tolerances are extremely tight. The fix is actually very simple and just a couple of hammer hits on the line release leading edge that contacts with the back of the shaft sear. This flattens the metal a little and removes the tolerance that was added and makes the line release not move forward. Remember though that we are talking about maybe .1 or .2 mm ... this is a very small amount. If you do go too far the shaft sear will not lock ... to fix that you would have to slightly sand off the area to get the shaft sear to lock.

I tried this handle some 6 months ago with the DR trigger and it was extremely nice and shot really accurate. As mentioned by others the trigger to palm distance is correct and not too long like with the Pathos. But much more important than that is that the trigger mech pocket is much wider and allows for a full width roller. With the Pathos D2 handle the mech pocket was way too small (only 7mm) and although a DR trigger was made it was not something I could recommend. The Pathos D1 handle did have a wide trigger which allowed for a full DR trigger and that worked extremely well. But the Pathos D1 handle has what has to be be the flimsiest loading pad ever put on a handle and is prone to breaking. So you would need to reinforce that with Carbon Fiber to make sure you don't risk injuring the family jewels. I guess Pathos got away with a lot previously, but there really are many better options now, especially since they are still using basically the same friction trigger.

By the way there were some really nice gold and stainless steel versions done for those triggers that looked really cool. The idea was to try Titanium coating to improve corrosion resistance, but aesthetically it also looked cool! I'll see if I can locate pictures of those triggers.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:05 AM   #10
spearq8

I couldn't locate the pix of the gold colored DR for Hunt, but here you can see a MIM full DR trigger. The advantages of MIM are that you can really put on nice curves and little details that improve functionality. For example on the line release you can leave it nice and rounded and for the Trigger sear you can add notches and rounded edges giving a little better functionality. Of course the disadvantage is you have to fork out a lot of money for the molds, and you really need to be sure your design is correct as you cannot modify stuff once you make the molds. The DR trigger is on its 4th generation and probably only 1 generation left where I would feel there is simply no more improvement possible. Latest versions are tested at ridiculously extreme loads with great results (over 500kg!).

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:47 AM   #11
popgun pete

MIM for the levers and swinging parts, the housings will still be stamped and formed up.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #12
musubi

That's pretty neat they used that tech on these mechanisms. Seems like you could do a lot more fine or intricate details with MIM. I definitely appreciate the rounded line release.

I did go back and insert a different shaft into the DR mech to see if it changed the line release position. It didn't. It seems like once the sear engages with the shaft, the line release hits the back of the sear (I hope I'm explaining this correctly) and is independent of the shaft.

The shaft I used was Hunt and the length of the shaft behind the euro notch was slightly shorter than the RA shafts I use. But it didn't appear to matter.