Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
Aimrite

New Kumu Record

Aloha Everyone

Well I thought I would tell my story before Daryl tells his version!

A few weeks ago we were diving in one of our favorite spots and I noticed Daryl laying on the bottom for what seemed like an eternity. I could not see what he was laying in wait for but finally he rose to the surface and gave me the "just wait a minute sign". After a well needed rest he went back down and was laying on the bottom, out in front of him was a "Nenue" (chub) school and swimming with them were a couple of very nice Kumu's (Joe's).

Well the larger of the two wanted nothing to do with Daryl and kept a fair distance, it was obvious he knew Daryl had the Record Kumu for many years up until last year. Well as the story goes when Daryl started to return to the surface the second time, that fish came off the bottom as if to just tease him! He never saw me dropping down from above. Some may say I poached this fish from Daryl - I say it was a tag team effort. Beside if I had a dollar for every time he shot a fish out from under me I would be a wealthy man!

Our new Hawaii State Record Kumu (double-barred) was 16" in length and had a 14" girth and weighed a whopping 3.48 lbs. Later that night we all went to the Chinese restaurant and had him steamed! It was yummy!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ricks-kumo.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	21521   Click image for larger version

Name:	big-joe.JPG
Views:	583
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	21522  
Old 09-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
syrespect

Re: New Kumu Record

Awesome work! Glad you guys are out there trying to set these records. I'm sure there's been bigger ones shot but no one to go through the hassle of gathering all the requirements for a record. Keep it up! Hope to see some more big ones!
syrespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
element

Congrats! Nice munu and pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by element; 09-12-2005 at 12:51 PM.
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
thecrab87
67 pounds of joy!

Rick-

I think you mean munu, not kumu.
http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records_d.cfm?ID=49
and
http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/records_d.cfm?ID=51

Nice fish, though! Glad to see the record is "back in the family."
Old 09-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
Spearo_Fla
Freediving Trainer

Nice Rick. Say Hi to Daryl and Angela for me. Trailer looks good!

John Bettua
Nationals Competitor- 1999, 2001, 2006
Email Me @betjoh58@gmail.com
Spearo_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:10 AM   #6
Aimrite

Ahhh your right Willie! I guess we just get a little lazy sometimes and say all the goats are kumus. Thanks for the link to Hawaii Fishing News I will apply there also.

Break Break: The flaots should be done by the end of the week, sorry it has taken so long but we are at the mercy of the guy that is spraying them yellow for us. We just got a new inflatable that holds more than 90 lbs if you need a loaner?????
Old 09-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
thecrab87
67 pounds of joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimrite
Ahhh your right Willie! I guess we just get a little lazy sometimes and say all the goats are kumus. Thanks for the link to Hawaii Fishing News I will apply there also.

Break Break: The flaots should be done by the end of the week, sorry it has taken so long but we are at the mercy of the guy that is spraying them yellow for us. We just got a new inflatable that holds more than 90 lbs if you need a loaner?????
Rick-

No worries. I have several inflatables and smaller foam floats, so I can make do if necessary. BTW, I will be in Honolulu this weekend with my daughter for a two day gymnastics meet. No dive time, but I could pick the float up on Saturday if it gets finished in the next couple of days. Heck, I should pick up my Ono gun too... save on shipping.