Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
RItaug

What To shoot Now?!?! End of Tog Season

hello Guys, I was just looking for any advice/tips/spots on where to hunt and what to shoot now that tog season is closed for a little while. I'm new to this sport, I've been spearfishing for about 2 months now and have had pretty good success with shooting togs, even got at 33in Bluefish. I'm working on my breath hold but still have a long ways to go. With that being said I'm pretty much stuck to shallow water, ie nothing deeper than 10ft and I was wondering if you guys knew of any shallow water spots where I could shoot fish besides tog in the meantime. My usual spot is kings beach but besides tog and that one Bluefish I shot and few few smaller striper, I haven't seen anything worth shooting besides tog. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ps, here's a link to the Bluefish I shot for anyone interested:
https://instagram.com/p/3r0mHWJWy8/
RItaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
xrispearo
you cant see mee

Re: What To shoot Now?!?! End of Tog Season

I think you should hang up the f---ing gun until you read and adhere to the regulations seen here http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatr...ld/mfsizes.htm

Then sit in front of the computer, not typing but RESEARCHING whay you're after. Every minute your not diving you should be breathing information. Almost all of which has been discussed already or you can find on your own without a handout
Old 06-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
RItaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispearo View Post
I think you should hang up the f---ing gun until you read and adhere to the regulations seen here http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatr...ld/mfsizes.htm

Then sit in front of the computer, not typing but RESEARCHING whay you're after. Every minute your not diving you should be breathing information. Almost all of which has been discussed already or you can find on your own without a handout
I know the regulations, well I do now thanks to this forum. I had no idea Tog season closed my neighbor got me into spearfishing I've only been doing this for a little over a month I just didn't know. And I thought that's what this forum was for? To help each other out?
RItaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
roosterman9

Don't mind him, great diver but rough around the edges. Believe it or not he is actually a nice guy in person.

That being said the I didn't know excuse doesn't fly with this crowd. Even one incident where spearos are shown to disregard the law effects us all. It is something the dive community has been working hard to keep a positive light on what we love to do. One or two bad apples makes the rest of us look bad.

I suggest a few things to help get into it.

A. Find someone who knows what they are doing and dive with them. They more guys you dive with the more you will learn.

B. print the regulations for all species with both size and season. Read over and over. Should be able to recite anything you want to shoot and the legal size and season to shoot it in before you hit the water so there is no hesitation when the target presents its self.

C. Spend time in the water without a gun. Whether you have a go pro or don't, spending time in the water and learning how fish react to you is a great way to learn how to hunt. I never see more 10lb tog than when the season closes, then it seems like they are everywhere. I feel this is because the way I approach the school and keep my heart rate down because I am disinterested in them. It is how the really good hunters seem to always find the big fish in a school ,species does not matter.

D. Find out when the tournaments are and get to one. Even if you can't dive it get to the weigh in. Lots of good tips, stories and beers are shared.

E. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. There are way too many threads on spots, species, tips, gear ect on here. Some of them are even helpful.

F.last advice for the time being is to join a dive club. I joined the Tri State Skindivers and owe most of what I've learned about this sport to my fellow members. Gear modification, tying your own bands, where to dive, where not to dive and when not to dive.

Mike Chace at New England Freedive Co is also a valuable asset to our dive community. Look him up online.

PM me with any questions you don't want to ask to the masses, we were all newbies at some point. Cheers.

Mike meyer
roosterman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:05 AM   #5
EZsurf

Take forty minutes and drive to gooseberry island in Mass. Dive the shallows around the island to get Tog ,scup , fluke or try inside harbor of refuge in RI for fluke and scup [which can be taken at 9"]
EZsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
czision71

I agree with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispearo View Post

czision71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Postyoa28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RItaug View Post
I know the regulations, well I do now thanks to this forum. I had no idea Tog season closed my neighbor got me into spearfishing I've only been doing this for a little over a month I just didn't know. And I thought that's what this forum was for? To help each other out?
Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse. This is an example of what you risk with the new fine structure last year:

"Penalties for violating the limits will be at least $100 for each fish taken, possessed, or offered for sale, imprisonment for up to 90 days, or both. For the second violation, the jail time is the same, but the fines increase to at least $200 per fish, the state could seize any boat, fishing tackle or other implements used in violation of the law. And for third and subsequent offenses, the fine increases to at least $500 per fish in addition the 90-days jail sentence and forfeiture of the equipment used."
Postyoa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
Watdogg

I'm no math major, but I would assume the fine for this would be quite stiff??

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcest...ester_fis.html

You know this isn't the first time they did this either.
Watdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #9
Watdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZsurf View Post
Take forty minutes and drive to gooseberry island in Mass. Dive the shallows around the island to get Tog ,scup , fluke or try inside harbor of refuge in RI for fluke and scup [which can be taken at 9"]
Goosebury is RI, not MA.
Watdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
Newbspearfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdogg View Post
Goosebury is RI, not MA.
Gooseberry Island Westport, MA not gooseberry beach
Newbspearfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
Watdogg