Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
YoungMarine

Freediving Shooting Line on Oil Rigs

I'm looking at new rigging options for next season. This would be for a gun that is strictly used on/around oil rigs. Has anyone been successful using a stiff dyneema (such as the Benthic 1.9mm line) in place of the usual stainless cable shooting line for freediving the oil rigs? I understand the benefits of cable, especially on scuba, but would like to know if any freedivers rig differently with good results since we aren't tying fish off to rig legs.

The 1.9mm dyneema line on my reel seems to be holding up well for being dragged across rig beams numerous times this year and I'm thinking about using it as a shooting line for the following reasons:

-Won't get kinks in it.
-Won't slow down the shaft as much.
-Won't have to file/widen muzzle slots into new guns to get 3/32 stainless cable to fit.
-Can cut it with a knife if you get wrapped up by a fish.
-Can quickly retie a new piece of shooting line on boat if it does show signs of serious abrasion.
-Don't have to carry extra crimper, crimps, wire, and wire cutters.

I would connect it to my reel line by either a snap swivel or knot that can be untied so I can take fish off faster. What are your thoughts? Has anyone had a big fish break dyneema yet due to abrasion on the rigs?
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Alec
Tony Grogan is lame

Re: Freediving Shooting Line on Oil Rigs

In the past couple years i've probably shot 100+ fish off of the rigs using the 1.9mm dyneema. It's awesome for most of the reasons you've stated. From sheepshead, to big AJs, to tuna it's taken pretty much every type of fish on the rigs. Haven't heard of a failure yet, i'll probably change my line out every 3-5+ trips, just to be safe. Figure 8 follow through knot works best for me. Rob Allen Slip knot for attaching the reel line to shooting line. I've had 1-2 band tangles with my hybrid gun but besides that it's been working out great. Let me know if you have any other questions
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
YoungMarine

Thanks for the helpful response. I appreciate it.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
kylo1597
Pro Snorkeler

It helps to stretch the line as tight as possible once you tie it to the shaft. I like to loop one end over a trailer hitch and use the shaft as a handle to pull the line really tight and "pop" it a few times. I found that helped eliminating band tangles and made the line slightly stiffer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
YoungMarine

This is good info guys. It is good to know that stretching the line out helps with the band tangling issue. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #6
Wayno

Here's a low-cost dyneema that works well as shooting line: http://www.bishco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...de-15270200150

I have not tried it on the rigs, but I expect it would hold up well.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Alec
Tony Grogan is lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Here's a low-cost dyneema that works well as shooting line: http://www.bishco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...de-15270200150

I have not tried it on the rigs, but I expect it would hold up well.
I've tried something like that on the rigs, and unfortunately it doesn't hold up nearly as well as the 1.9mm Benthic or Aussie line.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
RBainer

i have been using the benthic line for the past few years and love it , the only thing that i have found that is better is that mannysub line but it is very pricey.
RBainer is offline   Reply With Quote