Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
Capt.Gene

Re: What Happend?

Perhaps there are several things going on here.
The back of the skull headacke from hell, coming into play during the dive is a dead giveaway for a bad air fill.
I personall have experienced this a number of times, but if you dive buddys were using tanks filled at the same time with no bad side effects, perhaps it's not the air causing your problems.
Are you smoking a lot of cigs in the cabin pre dive?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #17
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thumbs up Re: What Happend?

Very good points here Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
Hard to say without knowing the re-checked analysis of your tank..but it sounds like a CO2 hit to me....easy first dive...no probs (read no CO2 build up yet)..."busy" 2nd dive...headache..(read co2 here) busy third dive....headache...vomiting....O2 cleared it up...classic Co2 scenerio,,,did you ever get that tank checked.....? While a safety stop will help your Nitrogen status....if you're breathing on your bottom mix during the safety stop...it won't do hardly anything for a "Crusher headache" brought on by Co2 build up.

Once you start that Co2 ball rolling...the only thing that will offer quick relief is O2,....switching to 70-80% during your surface interval will make a dramatic difference in the level of your discomfort. The trick is to avoid this monkey..but if you get into it...higher O2 at shallow depths is the prefered path of action. Proper training required of course.

When doing high effort dives...especially while wearing thick suits....you gotta keep your breathing and exhalations under control....during the heat of battle, it's too easy to take in and exhale half breaths....thus failing to clear the rapidly building Co2 from your lungs....gotta exhale completely on every breath. You don't have to blow it all out in one big loud blast...just fizz it out completely.

We used to call 'em crushers back in the day...and if you've ever had one, than you know why.....good luck to you adn I'm sure we'd all like to know the analysis of that tank.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #18
rtdean
Saltybones1

Send a message via AIM to rtdean

I thought bad fill, too. I think you said you used an onboard
compressor to fill? I,m going to go back and reread though.

Rick

www.saltybones.com - Hardcore Diving & Fishing Apparel
rtdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #19
HANGTIME NC

Glad you are OK, missed this 1st time through because of my own problem.
Joey
Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Very good points here Dan!
Yeah well...IMHO..most problems like this one are usually brought on by bad behavior instead of a bad mix. Not saying it couldn't have been a bad mix...but it fits a Co2 profile like a glove. Symptons and treatment details are spot on. Also, assuming he didn't have a different tank on for the first easy dive, if it was a bad fill, he should have had symptons on that dive also...bad air is bad air..... also, it's doubtful that he stayed on the same tank for the 2 later "busy"dives,,,so maybe he had two tanks of bad mix? Possible...but even more unlikely.

Too many missing details and no re-check of the mix (as far as we know) means it's all conjecture...but my $$$ is on the CO2.

Glad he's OK

Dan

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #21
A pointed 1

makomaster
How are you doing? Any conclusions? Hope all is well.
A pointed 1 is offline   Reply With Quote