Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 09-24-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
Rdubya

Send a message via AIM to Rdubya
Traveling to Hawaii

I am thinking about trying to make a trip out to Hawaii in the next year or so. I was wandering which Islands would you guys suggest checking out I am not into touristy crap I would rather be able to hike and dive and just hang out in some low population area. What would you guys suggest,my friends just spent the summer in Maui and they loved it, so I was thinking about starting out there because the pictures they have are truly breath-taking. You guys live in Paradise and I am very jealous but I only have 8 more months of living in my landlocked Tallahassee Florida. (at least I have FSU football to keep me happy.)
Thanks my friends for your help,
Rick
Old 09-24-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

I may be biased, but I have to say Maui. I say Maui not because I live here, but because it really is a blend of all the islands. you can have the metro areas like Oahu, the volcanic areas, liek the Big Island, and the forests like Kauai, but all in one conevenient package. All of our reefs are VERY close to shore so you can shore dive and get quality fish.

Let me know if you come out this way and I can steer you to some good areas, or we may even be able to hook-up and dive together.
Stodelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
rogue-diver

Send a message via Yahoo to rogue-diver
If you dont like crowds then Oahu is out, but there are some good places to dive hear that are out of the way. If you come hear let me know, and we can go diving if you wont to.

Jeff
rogue-diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 07:35 PM   #4
Rdubya

I really wish I good just pick up and head out there now, I think I would like to spend maybe a couple of weeks there if I could find cheap lodging. I will definatly tell you guys when I am coming because i will want to do some diving while I am out there. Hope the time comes soon.
Rick
Old 09-25-2004, 10:07 PM   #5
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

Rick,

Let me know because I know some people who rent there condo for around $40 a night. Can't even find a cheap hotel for that much.

Sean
Old 09-25-2004, 11:35 PM   #6
Rdubya

Sean,
I am definatly gonna hook up with you when I get the chance to head out that way. $40 a night sounds glorious.
Rick
Old 09-26-2004, 02:28 AM   #7
rogue-diver

Send a message via Yahoo to rogue-diver
$40 a night for a condo hear, man thats outstanding.

Jeff
rogue-diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 04:10 AM   #8
hilodiver

Send a message via Yahoo to hilodiver
The Big Island is a great place to hike and dive, and has no crowds. Kiluea is putting up an awsome show and Mauna Loa is starting to get restless. If you catch the Hamakua or Puna coast when the weather and surf permits, spearfishing is almost like shopping!
hilodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
uluapoundr

I keep hearing stories about diving Hamakua when the water is clean. When we coming in from trolling, I always look towards Hamakua to check the water clarity, it's usually dirty, especially when it rains. Since Hilo has been dry, I assume there have been more diveable days. One day I'm going to tell my trolling friends to give me one hour to pound as long as they promise not to leave me.
uluapoundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 02:07 AM   #10
Christof
Buddies are the best

Question for Sean.....

Hey Sean!

Read your above posts and you sound like a really friendly Islander!
I am going to be in Maui (Kihei) from Oct 19 until Nov 1st and since my wife is going to be recouping from several surgeries this summer we will just be chillin.... I plan on lots of fishing and am also going to delve back into spearfishing (quit 15 years ago).... I think it would be GREAT to hook up with you and putter around a bit... I have never used a Hawaiian sling (always used a gun) and plan on learning something new... Figure I'd be just as well off to buy one there rather than buy one and worry about transporting it.... Have a zillion questions to ask, such as whats good to shoot/eat etc... Hoping to catch some Papio on rod/reel but remember all the Goatfish (Weke') I saw snorkleing last trip, but no spear.. :-(
Mahalo for any help you may give me!

Aloha!

Christof

"Any day diving is a damn good day!!"
Christof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:01 PM   #11
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

Check your email. I sent you my contact info. I am always open to taking new people out and sharing the Islands with others.

I have extra guns, pole spears, etc, so no real need to buy any.

Look forward to your reply.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:00 PM   #12
Headlands

Hey guys, coming to Big Island will be in Kona .
Can you guys refer me to any charters for spearfishing , anything.
Talked to Daryl Wong ,he told me one fella, but the guy isnt really "open for business" more just bro type thing, which is good . I just wanted to knw of any other people. Will be there on the 9th .

Thanks Chad
Headlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:40 AM   #13
djroundhouse

yo
djroundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:31 AM   #14
uluapoundr

Headlands,
You can try contacting Blue Water Hunter in Kona, perhaps they know of someone who will charter a boat for diving. The only bad thing is, the owner there has a bad rep in the fishing community. I guess he jumps in while people are fishing. Be cautious, don't want you to get into squabbles with the locals. I live in Hilo and my friend has a boat, but he doesn't charter and we don't know many dive spots. If you do come to this side of the island, let me know if I can be of any help. I'm in Hilo.
uluapoundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:43 AM   #15
Headlands

Right on , ill let you know .
Thanks chad
Headlands is offline   Reply With Quote