Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
Liveclean

Ear Trauma experiences PLEASE!

I was spearing this last weekend in far North NorCal. I have had some issues with my left ear clearing easily and it got sore and infected a month and a half ago. I got treated for an infection and then returned to normal with the difficulty clearing continuing. Then on my last dive I dove, procrastinated my clear a bit in a thustle with a 9.5 inch abalone. When I came up to the surface my left ear on the other side was ringing and muffled. I was saying WTH. Once out of the water, my ear was ringing and I had almost full hearing loss. Went to ENT yesterday and he thinking I have fired up the nerve badly so he put me on heavy steroids to settle it down. He did state that it is better to get on it within 24 hours. I am hearing a bit more but the ear still feels full at this moment.

I am scared to death I may have lost my hearing for good, and I freaking love diving with my whole spirit. Anyone else have this experience? did your hearing return? Any other diver tricks I should know about?
Liveclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
AdamAquatic

Re: Ear Trauma experiences PLEASE!

I had a similar experience. The pain was excruciating and the doctor said he had never seen an ear drum so close to being broken. My hearing came back just fine, but now I have to be extra careful when clearing my ears. I do it as soon as possible and with minimum pressure otherwise I get an earache pretty quickly. It also takes noticeably longer to clear my injured ear. Whatever you do, don't jump back in the water and start diving as soon as it gets better. You need to baby it for a good long while before you jump in again.
AdamAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
godluvsall

ever try Doc's proplugs?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
AdamAquatic

I can't say that I have. Do they really make that much difference? Not sure what my size would be, but if they work it's worth looking into. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
kodyb87
Kody Bidwell

Send a message via AIM to kodyb87 Send a message via Yahoo to kodyb87

I hurt mine a few weeks back. I can clear while diving scuba but freediving is a pain. I was taking a level 1 class and the instructor could see air coming out of my ear while I was trying to clear. Popped a small hole in my ear drum and had to stop diving for the day. After a day or two of not being able to hear and having my left ear hurt like a SOB, I scheduled a visit to the ENT. Turns out I have eustachian tube dysfunction because of chronic sinusitis. The ENT is going to do a balloon sinusplasty to open everything up at the end of this month. I wish it could have been earlier because my left ear has been ringing ever since I injured it. I can hear and feel the fluid in my inner ear and it's caused me to get sea sick for the first time in my life. He thinks that the sinusplasty and repairing a deviated septum will clear it all out and let my tubes open and close normally. Not sure if you have sinus problems like I do, but you might want to look into that procedure.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
godluvsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAquatic View Post
I can't say that I have. Do they really make that much difference? Not sure what my size would be, but if they work it's worth looking into. Thanks!
$16 doc's proplug vs ear trauma, thousands $$ surgical procedures, tinnitus, vertigo, pain... u get the point. I think it's worth trying out. No guarantee that it'll work, but at $16 it's worth a try. I'm getting a pair this week. Your local dive shop should be able to fit you for sizing.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
AdamAquatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by godluvsall View Post
$16 doc's proplug vs ear trauma, thousands $$ surgical procedures, tinnitus, vertigo, pain... u get the point. I think it's worth trying out. No guarantee that it'll work, but at $16 it's worth a try. I'm getting a pair this week. Your local dive shop should be able to fit you for sizing.
Agreed. Please let me know how they work out for you.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

It sounds like you suffered a barotrauma. I had one back around 2004. Exact same symptoms as you, also blood came out of the ear.

Seeing an ENT and getting a proper diagnosis is imperative. REST is the most important thing eventually after the acute injury is treated. What I mean by rest is NO DIVING FOR A LONG TIME!

You need this long break to let it properly heal. I didn't dive for a year when mine happened. And even then it was tender getting back into it. I know a guy that kept going back to diving too soon after his happened and he just screwed it up more in the long run.

The ringing for me stopped after about a week. It still does ring bc i have tinnitus (from drumming) but its not noticable how it was really loud after the diving accident.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

I've busted my right ear a couple times. Ear surgery once to repair. I figured out that one ear clears more easily than than the other. I assume it's due to the little flap/check valve that closes the estachion tube...and one is different than the other...although I did have tubes in my ears when I was a child and believe that one ear drum is weaker than the other.
The incidents occurred when I was excited about shooting a big fish. IMO, the adrenalin flow blinded my senses to the imbalance in equalization, hence the rupture.
First time was free diving, shooting a big AJ w/o a reel...having it drag me up/down in the water column. The second time was descending upon an 80 lb. Cobia to put the final shot in him with sharks all around.
Something to think about. Anywho...be careful. It really sucks with only one ear working. Also, if your ear drum bursts, go up. Going down any further in colder water will make you disoriented, and thus, in danger. It's not worth it. I lost that huge Cobia that way but no regrets.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Marcus; 08-07-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
Ocean

If you buying a DOCs pro Plugs, buy it with a leash, I lost my in first day )
Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Water Boy76
Hardbottom Houligan

Agree that you had barotrauma.

I have a dive buddy that uses Doc's ear plugs and they work great for him.
Also, you may want to get in the habit of taking Sudafed before you dive to help clear your sinuses. I do it on days that I'm stuffy and it helps.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #12
godluvsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAquatic View Post
Agreed. Please let me know how they work out for you.
Picked up a pair yesterday, with a leash. Will give u a report when my toddlers let me go spearing.

btw, someone also briefly mentioned jbl earplugs. Don't know much about them, but u might wanna check them out. I have heard a lot more positive user reviews on doc's proplugs though.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

ME barotrauma in one ear,no treatment after ER.Had no hearing for a week,massive nausea for days and no equilibrium.6 weeks and all symptoms had resolved and back to diving.Freediving has more rapid pressure changes and at times I am unable even with decongestants.Again 1 eustachian tube is smaller with me as well.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
MB_Spearo

I had some trouble clearing my ears one day but was able to clear them and dive. After the dive I had a lot of pain in my ear and it only got worse. I was basically screaming in pain around 3 a.m. when suddenly fluid started coming from my ear and the pain went away. Went to the ER got some ear drops and pain meds, my ear drum had ruptured. I was deaf in that ear for at least a month. I have had sinus issues my whole life and it has a huge effect on my ears, I have to take psudafed and afrin to dive.
MB_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #15
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

I haven't had any bad trauma yet, thank God, but I do get frequent ear infections. You really have to jump on those as soon as they are a problem. For me, that's when I decide I need to flush them out with a bulb syringe or something. If they're that irritating, see a doc and have him get his eyes on the situation. The last several times I decided to clean things out myself, it turned into a nasty problem. The very last time, I realized I was using too strong a solution of hydrogen pyroxide, and burning the damaged tissue in my ear. (Making things worse, as usual).

I have some Doc's pro plugs now, I just haven't had a chance to use them yet. I have high hopes...

I will back up what Water Boy said. I don't take sudafed unless my sinuses are messed up, but I often take Motrin before diving, to prevent inflammation in my eustachians and throat from snorkle breathing and constantly clearing with my jaw. I think it helps a lot.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote