Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-19-2017, 01:35 AM   #151
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr
Re: Testing Pathos Sniper 125

Follow-up question for my Denton 120... in your '17 Denton video, you mentioned you didn't like that the line release was so close to the bands. Any thoughts on fixing that, if you still think its an issue? (I've always liked the right side catch on the Riffe 120 guns we've both used, well away from the bands.)
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 AM   #152
Freshy

Just picked up a Sniper 115 and excited to kill some fish with it. I did notice the mono snagging around the line release when the trigger is pulled, not allowing the line release to retract into the handle. This seems like it would be a huge problem. I tried decreasing the amount of tension that the mono is putting onto it but it still happens. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The only thing I can think of is shortening the line release which I don't really want to do at this time
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:55 AM   #153
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroluvr View Post
Follow-up question for my Denton 120... in your '17 Denton video, you mentioned you didn't like that the line release was so close to the bands. Any thoughts on fixing that, if you still think its an issue? (I've always liked the right side catch on the Riffe 120 guns we've both used, well away from the bands.)
Yeah ... have thought about several ways to do that ... but I want to be absolutely sure that it works well and does not snag line and use up shaft velocity. It has to be just enough to hold the line, yet the line has to be able to unravel effortlessly ... and needs to look nice and unobtrusive. Most likely it will be a teardrop or oval shaped and just stick out enough to hold 3 lines of 400lb mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshy View Post
Just picked up a Sniper 115 and excited to kill some fish with it. I did notice the mono snagging around the line release when the trigger is pulled, not allowing the line release to retract into the handle. This seems like it would be a huge problem. I tried decreasing the amount of tension that the mono is putting onto it but it still happens. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The only thing I can think of is shortening the line release which I don't really want to do at this time
For the pin type line release ... snagging is actually one of the problems that is quite common but nobody realizes is happening. I once spent a couple of hours trying to figure out why the setup I know shoots well and could pass my Wahoo penetration test ... was shooting low and had very poor penetration. I only figured out the problem when I loaded a single band on the rest tab and tried a test shot ... the line snagged and shaft stopped. With 2 bands there was enough power to pull off the snag, but of course at a cost of shaft velocity and accuracy. If you don't want to file down your line release, just use thicker mono. To make sure you are not snagging do a test shot with a single band on the rest tab ... if it doesn't snag on that you should be good to go.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #154
Freshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
For the pin type line release ... snagging is actually one of the problems that is quite common but nobody realizes is happening. I once spent a couple of hours trying to figure out why the setup I know shoots well and could pass my Wahoo penetration test ... was shooting low and had very poor penetration. I only figured out the problem when I loaded a single band on the rest tab and tried a test shot ... the line snagged and shaft stopped. With 2 bands there was enough power to pull off the snag, but of course at a cost of shaft velocity and accuracy. If you don't want to file down your line release, just use thicker mono. To make sure you are not snagging do a test shot with a single band on the rest tab ... if it doesn't snag on that you should be good to go.
What a shame, I haven't noticed this at all on the Dangelo 1 handle. I tried it with 2 wraps of 300lb mono and it still holds the line release in the upright position unless you manually pull the mono off the line release. I tried out my mates Sniper 95 and the same issue is present. I think the best fix would be to file down the line release until it barely holds the mono and will release when the trigger is pulled (which I didn't want to do). Everything else about the gun is great though, so once I get this issue fixed, I'll be a happy camper
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 AM   #155
spearq8

The older triggers had the pin a little shorter, but it seems a lot of the guy using thick mono hated it as the line kept falling off. With thinner line you will snag with the longer pin. It is one of the reasons I think a side line release is just better.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #156
quattroluvr
Leigh

Send a message via Skype™ to quattroluvr

majd - regards the criteria for a line release mod on our Denton 120's... I'd add that it should hold well enough so that a pelagic float-line breakaway setup doesn't tug the line off too easily. (the Riffe Euro 120 right side line release which has a slight convex curve on the release catch was perfect in this regards.)

Line size: i was going to ask what weight of mono to use on the Denton 120, but you mentioned 400 lb mono, which is my standard shooting line. So I'll rig my new Denton that way unless you have other advice. (I was wondering if 400 had too much drag for long pelagic shots.)
quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #157
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroluvr View Post
majd - regards the criteria for a line release mod on our Denton 120's... I'd add that it should hold well enough so that a pelagic float-line breakaway setup doesn't tug the line off too easily. (the Riffe Euro 120 right side line release which has a slight convex curve on the release catch was perfect in this regards.)

Line size: i was going to ask what weight of mono to use on the Denton 120, but you mentioned 400 lb mono, which is my standard shooting line. So I'll rig my new Denton that way unless you have other advice. (I was wondering if 400 had too much drag for long pelagic shots.)

Yes ... there are a few mods I have seen with breakaways and they look good, but I really want to make sure there is zero snagging. I use a breakaway as is with no problems, but it would be nice to have the line more to the side.

As for line ... I hardly ever use 400lb mono, usually it is 250lb to 350lb. If there are structures I use a kevlar with PVC cover line that is around 1.6mm thick. I did a comprehensive test comparing 1.4 and 1.9 spectra and 1.2 and 1.4 covered cable ... comparing those lines to vanilla mono 250lb, using an 8mm shaft on a Denton 120. I don't know if I will put up that video as I think the 1.9mm spectra and 1.4mm cable should have been tested with an 8.5mm shaft with 3 bands ... but still some interesting results. Most interesting was how well the 1.2mm coated cable from Catchalltackle (around 1.5mm thickness) shot. It did almost as good or even better than 250lb mono. I also like the 1.2mm cable as it never floated all over the place ... so in a sense I can see that as being a positive and safe thing. It was also not too thin, so I could grab it as the covering adds a little more thickness. Was also surprisingly supple and came off the wraps very nicely. I might very well use it from now on over the kevlar + PVC line if I am hunting structures. The 1.4mm spectra also did very well ... but the 1.9mm spectra and the 1.4mm cable had just way too much shaft drop. They certainly are not for a 2 banded setup and probably need an 8.5mm or 9mm shaft with 3 powerful bands. I tested only 5 meters and now ... I wish I had at least taken one shot with each setup at 6 meters. I only tested the 1.4mm cable at 6 meters and it was way under the target plate. So looks like not enough data to really publish it.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #158
alldayreese

Have you tried this,

https://catchalltackle.com/49-strand...ol-100-crimps/
alldayreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #159
kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayreese View Post
Thread link.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:11 AM   #160
vamforce

Hi Majd, I have followed your path and modified my new Pathos Sniper-R 115. Track is opened, the barrel carbon skinned, trigger replaced, handle molded. Now a small issue. Once you add carbon fabric and few layers of epoxy inside the track, a track won't align with the trigger. To level, you have to cut through epoxy and the carbon down to original metal which is extremely thin, just over 1mm. Your solution? Thanks.
vamforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:57 AM   #161
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamforce View Post
Hi Majd, I have followed your path and modified my new Pathos Sniper-R 115. Track is opened, the barrel carbon skinned, trigger replaced, handle molded. Now a small issue. Once you add carbon fabric and few layers of epoxy inside the track, a track won't align with the trigger. To level, you have to cut through epoxy and the carbon down to original metal which is extremely thin, just over 1mm. Your solution? Thanks.
When I did this mod some years back, I put in an 8mm shaft with a layer of electric tape and vacuum sealed it along with the CF. This gave a perfect track to trigger fit. If the handle part of the trigger is below the track then that is actually no problem and you can leave it as is and more critical is shaft to mech height. You want your shaft just barely clearing the mech so that the shaft does not have to jump down or up to the track (causes shaft instability). Of course if the track is too high and not allowing the shaft to enter the trigger mech ... that is a problem and you need to file down the track. You can do that with a round dowel and some sand paper ... BUT ... if you are going to sand through Carbon Fiber, I recommend you do it wet with running water so you don't have to deal with CF dust. Also use gloves and a mask and high grit sandpaper like 80 or 100. Once you sanded down the track enough, take an 8mm shaft and lay a layer or two of electric tape with the edges of the tape up. Tape up the sides of your track and lay a layer of epoxy with graphite powder and high density filler mix and place your shaft on that. This should give you a perfect track to mech height once cured.

Another area where you can really improve how the gun shoots is the muzzle. Unlike with the handle area, the muzzle area needs to be absolutely flush with the track and should not be a little lower. If it is a little lower then when you put line over shaft and put pressure, it bends the front of the shaft down and when you shoot the pressure comes off and the tip jumps up. It is crazy but this little jump can destabilize your shaft where you will lose accuracy and shed velocity very quickly. Take this into consideration when you lay epoxy on your new track and just make sure the muzzle track area is included in the new track.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #162
kodama

Testing Pathos Sniper 125

https://youtu.be/xVvP8EKsnF0

I just wanted to share the above video since I believe it proves an important point.
Of course Giacomo De Mola is a tremendous talented spearfisher so we need to take that into account but most of the shots on all those big fish are taken with a Pathos Sniper 115.
Notice the double shot @ 8:00’ !

It gives food for thought.
I think the lesson to learn here is that skills always prevail over gear.
Sure you need a gun that shoots straight and is reliable but we can question to what extent all our tweaking and tinkering will actually makes a difference....

#liveready
#trainhard
#straightintheface

kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #163
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
https://youtu.be/xVvP8EKsnF0

I just wanted to share the above video since I believe it proves an important point.
Of course Giacomo De Mola is a tremendous talented spearfisher so we need to take that into account but most of the shots on all those big fish are taken with a Pathos Sniper 115.
Notice the double shot @ 8:00’ !

It gives food for thought.
I think the lesson to learn here is that skills always prevail over gear.
Sure you need a gun that shoots straight and is reliable but we can question to what extent all our tweaking and tinkering will actually makes a difference....

#liveready
#trainhard
#straightintheface

I have seen old-timers who were absolute crack shots with guns that they had used for decades, often home-made and weather beaten as were their owners!
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote