Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 07-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Watergator

Best free or best value video editor?

My computer automatically updated to windows 10 (then had the audacity to ask me to take a survey about why I updated), and movie maker doesn't seem to be available anymore. What do y'all recommend for a simple video editor? I don't need anything professional grade, I just want something with not too steep of a learning curve that I can use to cut clips from my dives. I prefer free but I'm not opposed to buying something if it works well and isn't ridiculously priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Re: Best free or best value video editor?

Go pro studio works pretty good for a free program.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Watergator

Do you know if you can edit footage from non GoPros in that? I'm using an xaiomi yi and the footage comes off of there in a MP4 file

Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:38 PM   #4
Red Tide

Filmora Ultrashare is a good free one.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Sorry Gator, not sure. I have only Used gopro cameras with it.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watergator View Post
Do you know if you can edit footage from non GoPros in that? I'm using an xaiomi yi and the footage comes off of there in a MP4 file

It worked fine with a video from my cell phone. Pretty sure it was an mp4 formatted file.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
Fishy_Killa
#breakwallmob

FCPX or Adobe Premiere

SpearAmerica.com
Fishy_Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #8
Ric

Adobe premiere is free ?
When you buy a camera for > $200 you should have a working software that really works, not pretend to work.

There are 3 problems with Quick free for Gopro :
1)you are limited to produce a 1 minute video from all your clips
2)you have to include the provided music in your video since their is no option to use only the recorded sound of your movie
3) it is actually not so easy to show exactly what you want to show since the software edits and synchronize the clips with the music. The result may look fancy, but it may not be what you want.

To me that rules out Quick as a good software, Quick works, but it is substandard because it doesn't give you total freedom for editing.

Also, that's incredible to believe but since Quick (the free version) forces you to include a music soundtrack, some people have reported that they have run into copyright issues with the music after they had uploaded their video to youtube. It never happened to me, but I read a complain about it.
The fix for all of that, is, you bet correctly, to buy the non free version of Quick....
but isn't it a rip-off for a $200 camera ?

Gopro Studio 2.0 now : it comes with Quick, it is very good, If, IF, IF, it works, but for many, including me, it crashes or freezes all the time.
The old version worked flawlessly. Do NOT install the new one (which comes with Quick) if you get a new camera or you run a serious risk of loosing your only editing software. Or find a way to preserve your old version of Gopro Studio.
If you get stuck with a non-working Gopro Studio 2.0, know that Windows movie maker won't produce videos as good as Gopro Studio with your clips.

A trick for those who have installed the new Gopro Studio that comes with Quick : If Studio crashes all the time and you have tried all the Gopro FAQ troubleshootings, like me, you may have a better luck if you use the provided templates to edit your clips in step 2. If a clip is rejected when you insert it in the template, remove that clip. If the edit still freezes, try a different template or download a new one from gopro. That may work, sometimes...

My system (Windows 7) is way above the minimal requirement to run Gopro Studio (RAM and graphic card). The only thing though, is that it is an AMD-CPU (FX6150) based system and it is very possible that Studio has some issue with AMD, of course GOPRO will never admit it officially on his website, because that means that there is nothing wrong with your system, it is Gopro Studio that needs recoding. I say that, because I have installed Gopro Studio 2.0 on an Intel-based CPU system and it works flawlessly.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Juan View Post
It worked fine with a video from my cell phone. Pretty sure it was an mp4 formatted file.
probably because you uploaded or shared it on the cloud/google, which Quick can accept.

That makes me a slave of the Goolag, because I had to do it in order to use a video clip taken on my cell phone (uploaded to the cloud and shared on my Google youtube channel) mixed with video clips from my Gopro camera. I used Goprostudio2.0 from my wife's Intel-based CPU computer, in agreement with what I said above, it wouldn't work on my AMD-based computer. You see the result here:
https://youtu.be/KUCXTJDzmyc
Sun rise from the cell phone, the rest is Gopro camera. Not great, but doable.
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Premiere Pro for video editing way easier workflow than Final Cut for cutting, compiling, titling and tweaking, etc. and plays nice with Lightroom for stills and managing your whole vid and stills library.
both free on torrents
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
labrax
Dicentrarchus labrax

Quik - Highlights video
GoPro Studio - Free
Sony Vegas Pro - 400$ (Sony Vegas Movie Studio 50$)

Vegas Pro gives you total freedom in editing. Didn't use SV Movie Studio but you can check.
Quik for PC will load only Gopro videos. Android version will allow you to edit other videos also (mp4).
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote