Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
catalina jay
Isthmus Shaggy Dive Club

What is the Best microSD card for the Gopro 3 Black Edition?

I just bought this camera and a no name brand class 10 64g microSD. With this no name microSD I haven't been able to film more than 42sec. until it just stops filming. In protune mode @ 1440 it only records for about 5 sec. and then stops. What is the absolute best card??? I know gopro recommends the scandisk card but I have heard of people having problems with that card as well. Also, I did update the camera and format the SD to no avail.
catalina jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
catalina jay
Isthmus Shaggy Dive Club

Re: What is the Best microSD card for the Gopro 3 Black Edition?

I was thinking about buying this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-64GB...90795713437%26

Looks like it may be faster/better than the scandisk.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
AlexbeeintheUK

Overall the SanDisk is superior, it even has faster read/write speeds (write speed is obviously the one you want, check the 3rd image on the amazon link below) than Samsung or any other brand. Be sure to buy it from a reputable retailer to avoid getting a fake.
Go with the 64gb if you can part with the cash and then you will be able to use features such as ProTune without worrying about memory space.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A): Electronics Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A): Electronics
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
catalina jay
Isthmus Shaggy Dive Club

When looking at the 3rd image it shows a little over 10 read speed and around 20 writing. Whereas the samsung shows a 20 write speed and around 70 read speed. So wouldn't you think the samsung is superior?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
AlexbeeintheUK

The Samsung does say "Up to 20mb write speed" whereas the picture from the SanDisk is test results - there are also user uploaded test results with different adapters etc.

Brother-in-law has the Samsung in his iPhone and says its not as good as his SanDisk that he used to have - he says it freezes (for a second or two) more often when viewing pictures and videos.

Me, i want something i can totally rely upon and my 32gb SanDisk hasn't failed me yet.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
catalina jay
Isthmus Shaggy Dive Club

So does the read speed not matter as much as the write? Because the read read speed is significantly higher on the samsung, but not much higher on the write speed.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
AlexbeeintheUK

The read speed doesnt matter if you use a usb 2.0 port or the SD adapter slot on your PC/laptop as you will probably only achieve 15-20mb/s. A slower read speed just means it might take a minute longer to transfer videos to your PC - unless you have a USB 3.0 port in which case buy an adapter -
Amazon.com: Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K): TRANSCEND: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K): TRANSCEND: Computers & Accessories
With a USB 3 adapter in a USB 3 port (blue coloured) and your class 10 card you can get up to 100mb/s but it will probably average 50-60mb/s which is still 3 times faster than USB 2.0

The write speed is the reason why everyone yells "make sure its class 10!" because the gopro needs to be able to write the data to the card without lagging - probably the reason your current card only does 40 seconds, the gopro gives up trying to record the information.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
purepursuit

I'd stay away from the 64gig cards for a little while till they figure them out. I killed a few sandisk 64gb cards with my black. I am having success with the lexar 32gig card.
purepursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
AlexbeeintheUK

Having the Hero3 Silver and the 32gb SanDisk i am confused - perhaps niave - to wonder how your Black edition "killed out" microSD cards.

Can you please elaborate?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
purepursuit

I can't isolate whether the cards were doomed to fail or if the GP3 Black was the culprit, however I'll explain what I mean. The cards can no longer be detected by any of my three computers or the camera. You insert the card and it does not register on any of the machines. I hear its a common problem with the way the 64GB cards are formatted. Just do a Google search and you'll see the issues.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
AlexbeeintheUK

There is most definitely a way around this issue. I had an external hard drive pull the same crap on me a couple months ago. From what i can remember you have to access the device manager when the card is plugged in and you can format it from there.

Im racking my brain trying to remember the details but pretty sure through the device manager you can access drives that don't appear to be recognising and are able to fix the problem. It worked for me with an old Samsung M3.

Anyway, im not trying to say your wrong, this stuff really should not be happening when your paying $40 for one of these things.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
purepursuit

There are a few recovery methods for seemingly fried drives. I put it through the gambit. I'm fairly computer savvy (can code and build em). Check in the the issue on other sites, it was common and a lot of us were unable to save the cards (some had success).
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
AlexbeeintheUK

Well, that just sucks then!

Any warranty available for issues like this? Any luck getting replacements/reimbursement?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
pernicia

Even SanDisk 32gb had issues that fried them.....

I read a lot of reviews reporting the same issue, and all said that if you call Tech Support and mentioned the card got warm/hot, they'll send you a new one, no questions asked.

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
catalina jay
Isthmus Shaggy Dive Club

With all the problems people were experiencing with the scandisk I decided to try the samsung that I posted a link to above. I will let everyone know how it works.