Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Gonefishing82

Installing a loading notch into wood gun?

I have an Abellan Denton 120 I'd like to screw a loading tab/cheater tab so I can use some Rob Allen shafts I have that don't have rest tabs on them. I'm sure others have done this so I'd like to see what works best.

Was thinking of using this - https://neptonics.com/product/line-anchor/

Am I safe drilling into the top of the stock (on the side that does not have the shooting line / line release)? I'm not familiar working on wood - drill holes , screw on the tab with SS screws and I'm done or are there any other steps I am missing?

Thanks
Andrew
Gonefishing82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Hpwatson

Re: Installing a loading notch into wood gun?

You'll want to put it somewhere the bands/wishbones won't catch it when you shoot. I've seen guns with mid-stock cheater tabs before, just be mindful of the placement. As far as installation, just predrill the holes a bit smaller than the diameter of the screws the dip the screws in oil, preferably teak oil, and screw them in.

edit:

I had an idea for how to do this on a big gun I built last year but didn't end up trying it. You might be interested. My plan was to drill a 1/4" hole at about a 45° angle where I wanted the rest tab to be, then install a magnet inside the hollow AR-15 handle I was using. Then I could insert a stainless 1/4" pin into the hole when I needed to load, then remove the pin and snap it onto the magnet inside my handle. Seemed like it could work, I just never went through with it. Would be even better if you installed a 1/4" ID stainless steel sleeve in that hole so that the pin slid into the steel sleeve instead of just wood.
Hpwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
diveincanada

I ordered this one for my GF;

https://neptonics.com/product/shark-fin-line-anchor/
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing82 View Post

Was thinking of using this - https://neptonics.com/product/line-anchor/
Yes, that is exactly what you want. They also make a "sharks fin" trust me, it's NOT what you want! I learned the hard way.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
popgun pete

Those Neptonics gadgets are line anchors and band anchors (for rollerguns) respectively, you need to keep the top deck clear of obstructions as in the heat of the moment it will be all too easy to send the wishbones crashing into it. A removable pin is used on some guns whereas on the “Requin Flottante” a disappearing hook was released by a forward trigger. When you pull the sliding trigger the hook or cran pops up, when you let it go the hook disappears into the barrel. As the illustration shows when you are gripping the forward handle you are pulling the trigger which raises the hook and have a short reach to the wishbones with the bands slack. As soon as you release the front grip the band tension keeps the hook up and when you have taken the last wishbone off the hook then it descends back into the barrel. Why this forward handle? Well the "Requin Flottante" was 2 meters long and being a eurogun it had no cocking stock!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavalero Champion Requin Flottante instructions.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	243890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavalero Requin Relais D'Arnement.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	243891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion Requin Flottante detail R.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	243893  

Last edited by popgun pete; 08-24-2019 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added an illustration
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
SEATUX

I mount a spare shaft to the port side of my gun and a loading tab to the starboard SIDE of the gun...NO PROBLEMS!
Old 08-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I mount a spare shaft to the port side of my gun and a loading tab to the starboard SIDE of the gun...NO PROBLEMS!
Any photos?
Old 08-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
Wood Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpwatson View Post
You'll want to put it somewhere the bands/wishbones won't catch it when you shoot. I've seen guns with mid-stock cheater tabs before, just be mindful of the placement. As far as installation, just predrill the holes a bit smaller than the diameter of the screws the dip the screws in oil, preferably teak oil, and screw them in.

edit:

I had an idea for how to do this on a big gun I built last year but didn't end up trying it. You might be interested. My plan was to drill a 1/4" hole at about a 45° angle where I wanted the rest tab to be, then install a magnet inside the hollow AR-15 handle I was using. Then I could insert a stainless 1/4" pin into the hole when I needed to load, then remove the pin and snap it onto the magnet inside my handle. Seemed like it could work, I just never went through with it. Would be even better if you installed a 1/4" ID stainless steel sleeve in that hole so that the pin slid into the steel sleeve instead of just wood.
316 ss isn't magnetic, 304 and 818 only slightly so, so I wouldn't count on a magnet to hold them. "Another beautiful idea brutalized by a vicious gang of facts"-author unknown.

I like the idea of a removable tab, however. Maybe a threaded sleeve or insert imbedded in the wood with a similar one in the bottom of the handle. A pin could be fabricated with matching threads on the bottom half- just screw it in the side of the gun when you wanted the tab, and in the handle when you didn't. Like the others said, just keep it away from the loaded bands.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
Gonefishing82

Appreciate the input all.

Somebody has got to have done this successfully- any pictures of it done?
Gonefishing82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing82 View Post
Appreciate the input all.

Somebody has got to have done this successfully- any pictures of it done?
Check your PM's (Private Messages)
Old 08-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #11
Hpwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Guy View Post
316 ss isn't magnetic, 304 and 818 only slightly so, so I wouldn't count on a magnet to hold them. "Another beautiful idea brutalized by a vicious gang of facts"-author unknown.

I like the idea of a removable tab, however. Maybe a threaded sleeve or insert imbedded in the wood with a similar one in the bottom of the handle. A pin could be fabricated with matching threads on the bottom half- just screw it in the side of the gun when you wanted the tab, and in the handle when you didn't. Like the others said, just keep it away from the loaded bands.

Aha....had not considered that! I'm still wanting to try it on my own gun, I can only load it 3 or 4 times before my day is ruined.
Hpwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpwatson View Post
Aha....had not considered that! I'm still wanting to try it on my own gun, I can only load it 3 or 4 times before my day is ruined.
Pins have a habit of being dropped, better to secure it to the gun if you can on a line of some sort.