Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
popgun pete

Shooting Line Gobbler

Decades ago Cavalero Champion manufactured a gadget to retrieve shooting line on their euroguns, it was called the "Line Gobbler". I remember seeing them for sale, but never bothered to really examine one. Recently someone mentioned an old article about them in Skin Diver magazine which shows how they work. Basically they can store and retrieve about 10 feet of shooting line in a tube that is essentially a water pump. The shooting line, a woven cord type, pulls out from the tube during the shot, which does not sound like such a good idea, but it is the retrieve that is interesting. When you operate the water pump it creates a vacuum that sucks water in the front end and with it the shooting line which goes in with the water. Each pump stroke sucks in more of the line. On pushing the pump handle forwards each time water in the pumping chamber just squeezes out past the small hole in the front as the hole does not seal tightly on the line and the water can escape.

I thought that I would mention it here as probably most have never heard of it, or have completely forgotten about it. Possibly the concept could be used in other applications where one wants to retrieve line underwater without cranking a handle on a drum or wrapping it end to end on some stowage hooks.

I have yet to find the patent for it. (1982 vintage)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	line gobbler.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	243904   Click image for larger version

Name:	cavalero-line-gobbler-1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	243905   Click image for larger version

Name:	cavalero-line-gobbler-4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	243906  

Last edited by popgun pete; 08-26-2019 at 09:14 PM.
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Shooting Line Gobbler

Just found this video.
https://youtu.be/cFL5cVVtuSY
Old 09-05-2019, 03:10 AM   #3
Mikel_24

The real improvement appeared with the retractable line releasess in contrast with the crocodile clips in some guns.

I can see why it didn't get much love. For starters, it does not work with mono, which is what most spearos uses. I cannot remember the last time I saw someone using woven line in a gun. Well, there is a recent trend about using stiff spectra or kevlar line but you don't see it too often.
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:34 AM   #4
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I think the only, real potential market - and it really is a tiny, tiny market would be commercial spearos on scuba. They can often get very close to the prey and don't need the most power performance oriented guns (as far as I can tell). But they do need to be able to reload easily and get off as many shots as possible per dive.
Diving Gecko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #5
popgun pete

In 1982 most euroguns used woven cord line because that was what they were supplied with, usually black nylon, and not many guns had reels, although reels on spearguns go back to the thirties. The "Line Gobbler" was ready to go out of the box, including the shooting line which was already fitted. However the marketers assumed that spearguns shot straight off their reels, they don't and the advantage of shooting directly from the coiled line store was seen as no advantage at all. Very early euroguns had passive line clips which line wraps sometimes fell out off, but the "Line Gobbler" was introduced when the "Surete Rouge" Polynesia handle is being used on their guns and that has an auto line release linked to the sear lever. That means spearoes are already using one or two line wraps, so they don't really need a Gobbler which has about 10 feet of line on it, measured from the front of the unit, not the front of the gun.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
In 1982 most euroguns .....
Pete,

I was BORN in 1982.... So my historical memory is what it is.

And yes, when I was a young spearo (say, 14) I used nylon as shooting line. Not long after that the diving/spearfishing magazine APNEA released a number with a few meters of mono, two sleves and included a full article explaining the benefits of that shooting line along with instructions to use it.

that was my first contact with the mono.

It took a while for the diving shops to start stocking it and untill then all you could do was to try to source mono and crimps from the manufacturers of the "palangres". I have no idea how do you reffer to that style of comercial fishing in english where a looooong line of thick mono is fitted with shorter leads with hooks on them and put in the water to be left overnight (usually) and retrieved in the next morning to get the catch.

Those were the only ones using such a thick mono. Crimps were also hard to get.

Mikel
Old 09-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Pete,

I was BORN in 1982.... So my historical memory is what it is.

And yes, when I was a young spearo (say, 14) I used nylon as shooting line. Not long after that the diving/spearfishing magazine APNEA released a number with a few meters of mono, two sleves and included a full article explaining the benefits of that shooting line along with instructions to use it.

that was my first contact with the mono.

It took a while for the diving shops to start stocking it and untill then all you could do was to try to source mono and crimps from the manufacturers of the "palangres". I have no idea how do you reffer to that style of comercial fishing in english where a looooong line of thick mono is fitted with shorter leads with hooks on them and put in the water to be left overnight (usually) and retrieved in the next morning to get the catch.

Those were the only ones using such a thick mono. Crimps were also hard to get.

Mikel
I was spearing long before you were born, there were always guys who played around with mono by raiding commercial fishing tackle supplies, but it was awful stuff and clear or slightly blue-green and was very springy. When you went in the dive shop there were drums of black, sometimes blue, woven nylon cord, they sold large amounts of it. There was also Tuna cord which was light blue. One advance was it gradually got thinner as previously many guns were equipped with essentially tow ropes that trailed heavy shafts ploughing through the water. Serious spearfishermen did not use euroguns except for the longer guns and one popular conversion was to stick a Polynesia handle on a big tracked barrel as many people liked that handle, so much so that Cavalero-Beuchat have been making it ever since. One thing that divers did not like was paying an arm and a leg for screw in bands, so most used loop bands, whereas the eurogun with a no track tube was basically designed for screw-in band muzzles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polynesia handle.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	243973  

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-05-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:05 AM   #8
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
....One thing that divers did not like was paying an arm and a leg for screw in bands...
True. I still don't like paying for them today, so I mostly use open muzzle guns with single looped bands.

Still keep a few Sporasubs Aspic / Viper arround and they require those bands, but I seldom use them, so they last a veeery long time.

Mikel