Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2011 Tournament and Event Archives > 2011 The Blue Wild Expo - May 28-29, 2011

2011 The Blue Wild Expo - May 28-29, 2011 This is a world-class spearfishing event with over 1,000 participants at the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #1
diligaf

Arrow Announcing The Blue Wild 2011

The Blue Wild 2011 -- Dive and Marine Art Expo

Announcing the Show’s 5th Anniversary

Ft. Lauderdale Beach, FL, February 21, 2011 -- (PR.com) -- The Blue Wild, http://thebluewild.com, announced today the dates, speakers, and special 5th anniversary plans. The Expo will feature the top names in freediving, scuba diving, underwater videography and photography, spearfishing, marine artwork, and exhibitors from around the world!

The Expo will be held at the Broward County Convention Center on May 28th and 29th. “We chose Memorial Day weekend as we have so many exciting activities surrounding this year’s event,” said event producer Sheri Daye. “A three day weekend lets out-of-towners enjoy an extra day on Ft. Lauderdale Beach, or guests may also want to participate in a Spearfishing Tournament that is being put on by a local club.”

The South Florida Freedivers “Invitational Spearfishing Tournament” will be held on Monday, May 30th. The tournament is open to all -- freedivers and scuba divers, amateurs and professionals. Proceeds will go to the Blue Wild’s favorite charity – Twin Palms Center for the Disabled.

“We wanted to take advantage of having top spearos from around the world here for The Blue Wild and put on the baddest, funnest tournament of all time!” exclaimed the Club President, Santiago Alvarez. “We’ve got a lot of fun planned around the weigh-in, including our picnic and social, perfect for the whole family. We’ll finish off the weekend with a bang!”

This year’s Expo will have an international flavor as divers, speakers, and guests from around the world attend. “Diving has no borders, as we all share that common bond with the ocean,” stated Sheri Daye. “The Expo has been so successful because of the atmosphere -- created by each and every diver at the event, sharing what we love to do.”

As always, the Expo has the who’s who in diving attending and speaking at the event. Some of this year’s top speakers include:

Stan Waterman – Award-winning Cinematographer, Producer, Author
William Trubridge – Unassisted Freedive World Record Holder, Instructor
Manny Puig – Shark Wrangler, Swamp Explorer, Sculptor
Dr. Terry Maas – Spearfishing Champion, Videographer, Inventor
Martin Stepanek – Multiple World Record Holder, Freediving Instructor
Carey Chen – World Renowned Marine Artist, Conservationist

A giant raffle will be held each day promising the chance to win prizes worth hundreds of dollars. Admission to this year’s Expo is only $15. “We wanted to do something special for the 5th anniversary, get everyone in attendance, and thank everyone that has made us successful,” said Dave Earp, the Expo’s Floor Manager. “We never want to be the same old Expo, and this Expo will be the best yet!”

For information about the Expo, see www.thebluewild.com
For information about the Tournament, see www.southfloridafreedivers.com
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Thumbs up Re: Announcing The Blue Wild 2011

Hooray! This is the event to go to no matter where in the world you live.

Check out the dozens of event photos I shot at the 2010 Blue Wild right here:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=105993

Sheri, Dave and all the volunteers do a fabulous job!

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
KCArborist
@SPEAROBRANDO

Re: Announcing The Blue Wild 2011

Details on the invitation speaking tourney? I havent received my invitation but would be stoke to be able to participate )....is it possible to compete without formal invite? Would love to get info....can we open another thread solely about this portion of the event?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
KCArborist
@SPEAROBRANDO

Oops...typo....invitational spearing..not speaking. Lol
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Sheri
So Little Time

No invitation necessary! The Memorial Day spearfishing tournament, put on the South Florida Freediving Club, is open to all! They are about to post a separate thread on this exciting tournament with location, rules, etc.

Don't want to spill the beans, but I do know they are planning many "fun" divisions and categories...like a freediving, scuba, disabled, international, lionfish....so it will be very inclusive and a fun-filled social event. Stay tuned!
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Bill McIntyre

Seeing Stan Waterman on the list is sort of weird for me. When I lived in Hawaii in the early 60s, I went to a big gig in Honolulu where he showed his underwater photos, and it was absolutely breathtaking for the time.

Then I took him out on our club dive boat at MCAS Kaneohe so he could try to film humpback whales. We saw a few breaching, but unfortunately we couldn't get him into the water near any of them. But I recall thinking that this was one smooth urbane dude.

I was about 23 years old then, and my impression was that he was an old guy. I guess I've aged, but he hasn't.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

this is awesome news...any word on presale tickets Sheri?

also, do you guys have volunteers already or are you still needing some help?
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Sheri
So Little Time

Bill, I've had the privilege of meeting some amazing people, and Art Pinder and Stan Waterman are my top two heroes -- and not for the reasons you might think. They have certainly accomplished a lot in life, but what I admire most is their attitudes, their sense of humor, and the way they lived their lives. Stan is 88 years young now -- still diving and traveling all over the world. I asked him to come to The Blue Wild again, because he is such a warm and funny and fascinating person. It's a prvilege just to be around him.

If you haven't read Stan Waterman's autobiography, I guarantee you would enjoy it. It's called "Sea Salt". Here is a write up on it:

Faced with the decision to remain a New England blueberry farmer or take a chance on a life of adventure like his heros Hans Hass and Jacques Cousteau, Stan Waterman chose the latter. He converted a fishing trawler into a charter dive boat and angled the bow toward the Bahamas. It was there, in the 1950's, during those heady seminal years of underwater discovery that Stan fist carried a movie camera underwater. Thus beginning a globetrotting life of underwater filmmaking that has entertained and enlightened audiences with the novel wildlife images for a half-century. For a decade he eked out a living traveling the back roads of America showing his hand-spliced films. In 1965 Stan took his family to live in play in Tahiti. Success was launched when National Geographic purchased rights to their tropical odyssey. A stellar string of ventures followed beginning with this 1968 collaboration with Peter Gimbel on the shark classic "Blue Water, White Death". Sea Salt is the handiwork of a born storyteller with a flair for language as stoke with imagery and insight as his films. Liberally sprinkled with humor, verve and singular turn of phrase, his autobiography and selected writings detly portray the joys and travails of a diving pioneer and legend. 320 pages including 67 photographs.

Stan was an English major at Dartmouth and studied with Robert Frost -- so he can write! If you're coming to the Expo, you will enjoy meeting Stan even more if you read the book in advance. I suggested that people read "Adrift" before we had Steve Callahan here, and I know those who did read his book in advance got a much bigger charge out of meeting him. Unfortunately, Stan just sold out and isn't printing any more, but you can usually find a used copy on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stan6.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	147312  
Old 03-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Sheri
So Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkerBuster View Post
this is awesome news...any word on presale tickets Sheri?

also, do you guys have volunteers already or are you still needing some help?
LunkerBuster, the good news is that entry tickets this year are just $15! The Expo has grown to where we can charge less, and it's also our 5th anniversary special to thank everyone for their support. So there is no special pre-sales price, just $15 cash at the door.

Yes, I do need more volunteers, so I appreciate the offer. Send me a PM with your e-mail and phone, and I will contact you. And now your $15 entry fee has just been reduced to...FREE!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Don Paul

I would love to hear Sam Waterman's story's again. He is the best public speaker I have ever heard, and his books and cinematography are pure gold.

I'm feeling a little old now as one of my deep diving mentors was William Tetake ( son of world record freediver Tetake Williams) William was Sam's guide on a few blue adventures.

Sam was one of the first to dive the uncharted shark filled seas of Raratonga and Aitutaki in the Cook Islands. A finer gentleman would be hard to find.

I hope to make this event next year, thanks for your hard work Sheri.

Cheers, Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	William Tetake (left)  son of Tetake Williams.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	147326  
Don Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
headhunter561
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
No invitation necessary! The Memorial Day spearfishing tournament, put on the South Florida Freediving Club, is open to all! They are about to post a separate thread on this exciting tournament with location, rules, etc.

Don't want to spill the beans, but I do know they are planning many "fun" divisions and categories...like a freediving, scuba, disabled, international, lionfish....so it will be very inclusive and a fun-filled social event. Stay tuned!
Can't wait! Getting my team together and awaiting further instructions
headhunter561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

I remember seeing Blue Water, White Death, when it came out, and it was great. The best part was the night dive under the dead whale, and all the great whites chewing on the whale. That was before Jaws, and I still night dove, after Jaws I was a little jumpy at night, but it wore off. I realized it was all fake. Fantastic footage! I am sure he will have out takes. I made it in 2009, and was in the Bahamas last year, but might be able to make it this year. I will plan on it!
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
KCArborist
@SPEAROBRANDO

Just throwing it out early...If anyone is looking for a fill in on their team I'd be stoked to do so. Not sure if we'll be able to bring the boat all the way from Naples...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
KCArborist
@SPEAROBRANDO

Any schedule updates? Noticed it looks like the 2010 schedule is still up..
Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
Powers
Dad

Any details available on the tournament yet?
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote