Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #16
armandozx

Re: Cyrano Evo HF Hands On Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrom1207 View Post
Let me know how you like it. I put one on my Cressi and it made the gun harder to load. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen (I probably should have asked Marko, but never got around to it). It felt like the spear would get jammed up when trying to push it in (like the friction with the O-ring was causing resistance with the spear going in). I changed the way I load it so that the spear goes in straighter and it helped a bit. I've considered taking the gun apart to make sure I didn't screw anything up inside, but have been worried I'd just make things worse.

If anyone can let me know if this is common or not, that would be helpful.

Other than that, I absolutely love the Tomba kit. Power improvement and noise reduction are amazing. I'm considering putting one on my Mares also, but wanted to give it a season of regular use first to see how I liked it.
Will do, damn, sorry to hear that. I thought it would do the opposite, according to Marko loading should be easier. Were you using the recommended ranges for PSI ? When marko made you the kit, did you discuss shaft diameter? did you actually measure your shafts with a caliper prior to him having all the work done? I'm asking because we discussed this and he had me measure my shafts just in case. Glad I did though.

Pete always has some type of answer, maybe he can chime in on why you encountered resistance, loading angle is my first guess. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, this is the last thing I will be doing to this gun, is a hit and miss in the long term relationship status for me, I have forced myself to develop some type of affinity with my first pneumatic, so far the transition has been unpleasant

I come from euro, rear handle guns but this gun somehow doesn't shoot like a open muzzle rail style speargun. I'll have to do some practice shots, I've had shots go too low and some go too high, maybe angle has a big part in this but head position perhaps does too. I'm left eye dominant right handed, so I have to adjust and feel super comfortable in order to develop a rhythm when shooting any particular speargun, but I go to my most trusted gun when I start missing fish. My best shot with this gun has been on a horizontal plane on a bigger fish, which the gun destroyed about 10-14ft away. with small fish, my luck varies.

Will update on kit performance once I get it wet.
armandozx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #17
Alexrom1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandozx View Post

Will do, damn, sorry to hear that. I thought it would do the opposite, according to Marko loading should be easier. Were you using the recommended ranges for PSI ? When marko made you the kit, did you discuss shaft diameter? did you actually measure your shafts with a caliper prior to him having all the work done? I'm asking because we discussed this and he had me measure my shafts just in case. Glad I did though.

Pete always has some type of answer, maybe he can chime in on why you encountered resistance, loading angle is my first guess. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, this is the last thing I will be doing to this gun, is a hit and miss in the long term relationship status for me, I have forced myself to develop some type of affinity with my first pneumatic, so far the transition has been unpleasant

I come from euro, rear handle guns but this gun somehow doesn't shoot like a open muzzle rail style speargun. I'll have to do some practice shots, I've had shots go too low and some go too high, maybe angle has a big part in this but head position perhaps does too. I'm left eye dominant right handed, so I somehow have to adjust and feel super comfortable in order to develop a rhythm when shooting with any speargun. My best shot has been on a horizontal plane on a bigger fish, which the gun destroyed about 10-14ft away. with small fish, my luck varies.

Will update on kit performance once I get it wet.
It could be a number of things, including possibly getting some of the silicone grease down the barrel (which I what I was worried about, and why I considered taking the gun apart to check out the parts). I don't think it is supposed to happen, because otherwise I would have read about people noticing that before.

I should have asked marko straight away, but things just got away from me and I decided to live with it for a little while. And yes, I measured everything and discussed shaft diameter.

I'm sure someone will weigh in. And I'm sure that, as usual, it will be something I did (not anything wrong with anyone else's stuff). SO I wouldn't worry.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:06 AM   #18
tromic

Markos latest work for 9/32 (7.15 mm) shaft, Tomba715X

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8x9r64o0kuxhxh/Tomba.pdf

Last edited by tromic; 03-10-2015 at 06:16 AM.
tromic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #19
popgun pete

The resistance comes from not pushing the shaft in straight or the shaft bowing slightly. Tromic has been working on versions that allow some slight misalignment https://forums.deeperblue.com/thread...42#post-942958
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #20
Alexrom1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
The resistance comes from not pushing the shaft in straight or the shaft bowing slightly. Tromic has been working on versions that allow some slight misalignment https://forums.deeperblue.com/thread...42#post-942958
So. Sounds like my Kung fu is weak. Figured it was something like that. The gun is 70cm with a slightly longer than stock spear overhang, so it's at that odd length that's too long to load on the knee and too short to load on the foot. I tried a new loading technique which helped a lot.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:20 AM   #21
blastedm4

Hello fellow spearos,

I'm new to the board and i just got my cyrano evo hf 110 about a month ago.. on my second day of use after about 12 to 15 shots total the line release broke and i can't seem to find the part and mares won't have it in stock till after about 1.5 months.. its really stupid and i had to buy a new band gun cause i didn't wanna screw up my spearfishing trip.. hopefully when i get back home i can ship it back to them and they can fix it..

Real bummer
blastedm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:58 AM   #22
popgun pete

If it was a fundamental design problem then all of the "Cyrano Evo" guns should be breaking their line releases, but given the number of failures being reported the problem must be down to a trigger adjustment made at the factory which is incorrect or slightly out on some of these guns. The current design does not provide much of a margin to play around with, but here is a way to check the gun out before you start using it.

Muzzle load the gun on land and immediately place the spear tip into a shallow drilled hole in a thick wooden block placed on the ground with the gun body pointed vertically downwards. The idea is you are going to pull the trigger with your body weight firmly braced against the gun while using both hands to hold it so that you don't allow the gun to rapidly push up off the now trapped spear shaft. As an additional precaution set the gun on "low power" and then maybe let some air out of the tank so that you can safely control the gun's release action. Any air released will not be coming from the main tank, but don't let too much air out. Place a loop ended line onto the line release finger with a weight such as a fishing sinker on the bottom end so that the line hangs down alongside the tank with just a few inches left for the weight to fall to the ground. An alternative method is to use an office supplies rubber band to tension a simple line loop running back from the front line wrap hook to the line release lever. Then brace yourself against the gun and squeeze the trigger slowly (keep the gun always on the low power setting during this test), the line release finger should drop the tensioned line slightly before you feel the piston catch (sear lever) release, or at the minimum both should occur simultaneously, but not later as the piston will reach the muzzle driving the spear tail stop diameter against the line slide thus loading up the line on the line release finger before it can move when you are actually spearfishing with the gun. Wet the gun down before conducting the test to provide some lubrication. Wetted line can slide around an immobilized line release finger, but once any slack in the line wraps is all used up the line release lever will probably break. Guns with a bungee at the shooting line anchor end can provide some give in the line wraps as the bungee stretches, but you would not want to rely on it protecting the line release lever from damage as the line under tension then has to drag around the hooks holding each end of a wrap.

On some guns you can push against the line release lever with your finger and feel for the moment of disengagement with the trigger rather than use a tensioned line to rotate the line release lever, but here you will need both hands on the gun, especially if it is a long one.

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-28-2015 at 01:29 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #23
neoshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshooter View Post
Have Mares Cyrano Evo 70, love the performance! Out of the box, this gun is more powerful (min 20%) than classic Cyrano for sure.
However, line release was broken after 1 months of gentle use. My old Cyrano (3 years) on the original line release still... Mares told that replacement of that plastic crap will take up to 1.5 month (in NJ, USA) and they cannot send spare part to me. I begin "hating season"
I got my cyrano Evo back from Mares (USA). Fixing line release took 2 months. BUT they screwed up they put spring opposite way and it pulls line release straight forward and does not return it back.
On Cyrano evo, trigger does not return line release back! It only locks it in place… so now, I’ll have “cowboy” shooting style… Will have to return line release back in the locked position (by hand!) after each shot… Never expected that mares will do such a crap work on such a good gun.

I do not even consider to send this gun to those butt-handed “professionals”. Will disassemble line release, create template for making copy for replacement and will fix spring installation myself. No more respect/trust to those thechs.
neoshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #24
popgun pete

Even if you fix it yourself may I suggest that you still send feedback to Mares, otherwise the same mistake may be repeated again for someone else. A copy to the Mares distributor as well as those in the repair shop who actually "fixed" it. Hard to see how someone could screw it back together with the replacement parts and not at least check that it was working properly just by squeezing the trigger on an unloaded gun while pulling on the end of the line release finger. Very unprofessional!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #25
neoshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Even if you fix it yourself may I suggest that you still send feedback to Mares, otherwise the same mistake may be repeated again for someone else. A copy to the Mares distributor as well as those in the repair shop who actually "fixed" it. Hard to see how someone could screw it back together with the replacement parts and not at least check that it was working properly just by squeezing the trigger on an unloaded gun while pulling on the end of the line release finger. Very unprofessional!
You will be surprised, but they returned this gun together with the paper slip, which claims that "gun was repaired and tested under the water...". I honestly do not believe that Mares (Italy) can change the condition/attitude of the local Mares reps here in the USA. However, I guess, I should follow the suggestion and file claim with Mares (in Italy and USA) and will see what will happened.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #26
Marco

I am really interested in these guns, but will not buy one until all issues have been sorted.
Please keep us posted.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 AM   #27
neoshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshooter View Post
You will be surprised, but they returned this gun together with the paper slip, which claims that "gun was repaired and tested under the water...". I honestly do not believe that Mares (Italy) can change the condition/attitude of the local Mares reps here in the USA. However, I guess, I should follow the suggestion and file claim with Mares (in Italy and USA) and will see what will happened.
Guys, It is broken again! 3 days of spearfishing and F.cking spring is off the line release. What a crappy design! Would love to see engineer of this thing...
Does anybody know good magnetic line release for cyrano speargun? Please!
The gun itself is very good but i cannot do free shafting in murky NJ waters. Any suggestions!?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #28
popgun pete

Any response from the company concerning the multiple feedback that you provided before? Well now you really have something to complain about, or did you change the spring around yourself since your last post? Could be the spring positioning is still out rather than something being broken, but you really need another one to compare it with.

I think that you should pursue the issue with Mares, especially as the side-line release is one of the main features of the gun, as well as the larger transfer port. There is a magnetic line release from "Pelengas" that piggy backs on a replacement rear inlet valve plug, but really the gun should be fixed, not provided with a "make do" work around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnetic line release Pelengas.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	218736  

Last edited by popgun pete; 06-16-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 06-17-2015, 12:45 AM   #29
tromic

This is a solution I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdIAMYUYsQ0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8x9r64o0kuxhxh/Tomba.pdf
tromic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:48 PM   #30
Alexrom1207

So. Did you get the tomba on it? How do you like it? Have you noticed much of a difference?