Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2008 Tournament Archives > 2008 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 17-18

2008 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 17-18 This is the traditional Spearboard Open to be held May 17-18, 2008 - New Port Richey Rotary Pavilion

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #31
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Re: What happened to Harolf Dean????

Hawgdawg, are you at the Marathon FL Facility?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #32
hawgdawg

no comments!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #33
Powerhead
Used Member

Correct me if I'm wrong. But, in the past didn't one of his Co-divers win the SBO?

Hawgdawg,

Do you work in Grassy Key? I work For the Toppino's in Key West and I'm hoping to get them into Aqua-culture here pretty soon.

They have 4 huge quarry pits that are 60 to 80 feet deep and full of fish already.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #34
Powerhead
Used Member

NEvermind you don't have to answer that.

Rick
Old 05-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #35
Adelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpalmspearo View Post
lie detector machines are used in most big tournaments and by entering the tourny you subject your self to the test
hes a cheater some one close to him told me and its about time he got caught
it was a stupid thing to do especialy a diver of his skill level probably could have scored pretty high without breaking the rules
if he comes to palm beach and does the same thing i will make him eat through a straw for a couple months.......see you guys at the next tourney
That is a bold statement, and in my opinion has no place in this sport. If your character is such that this is statement could be a likely possibility, i suggested you personally make this statement to the person whom you are making it about. I suggest you dont do the same with me. thank you. safe spearing
Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #36
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgdawg View Post
The format of this tournament is an open invitation to all cheaters. Surprised it took so long for someone to get busted. People cheat in tournaments with much more stringent rules, this one should be a piece of cake for the con artists. I work in aquaculture, and have quite a few cobes in our tanks that could take first place! It is a great tourney with a lot of good people, but to think nobody is going to try to cheat is naive.
Damn then call me naive (for lack of better terminology...As in Idiot)...I just can't conceive why someone would cheat in a competition. I'm by no means an angel, but when I compete its to challenge myself first then to best others. All this interplays in my conscience and is an intricate part of my psych, that is personally knowing at what level I'm at compared to others on the same field...this inturn fuels me to push to another level, become a better spearo...IMHO I don't think guys/gals are spearing for the $$$ or prizes, but for more or less the same things I just mentioned above, going with that reasoning would steer one into naively thinking "no one cheats at these contests". I won't make an opinion as to HD particular situation, but will say , generally speaking is cheating worth it? The price you pay first to yourself, then the grief one must endure every contest thereafter, would make it a no brainer- DON'T CHEAT- yet it seems people (spearos) do... what ya get out of it...a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff? is it worth it at the end?
From some of the comments I can see how this type of conduct can put a crimp on a contest and the contestants (or would be competitors)
OK that said whats the solution? should each of the competitors have volunteer on the boat monitoring them, or a remote camera filming their each and every step? Truthfully it sux to see this type of BS amongst such a small group of athletes...In this type of community...the price a competitor should pay for cheating should be severe enough to prevent it from ever reoccuring...my 2 centavos
Old 05-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #37
diverlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Great Job???? Tony has know about this cheating for three years! He kicked the old moderators off because they raised a concern about this EXACT THING! If anything, Tony tried everything he could to sweep this cheating under the rug until it became just too obvious.
Well Tyler, I am sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I think Tony acted reasonably and promptly on this one. IMO, this was a very delicate situation and it appears that it was handled in a very professional manner. Too bad the weighin had to be delayed to take care of a bad situation but it was absolutely necessary. Hopefully, it will be a long time before anything like this occurs again.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #38
hawgdawg

settingsteel, I agree with everything you said, but if you think everybody who competes in tournaments share the same ideas as you, then yes, you are naive.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #39
Slider136

Look at racing, baseball, football. It was only a matter of time that our sport came to this. You kick a dog to many times and he stops coming back. Work with the divers and make the feild fair and they will. And it needs to be brought to the higher level.

As a retired Racer I have seen it all.

Good move Tony!

My $.02.
Slider
Old 05-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #40
Adelito

O in regards to the question of who am I? If my fishing abilities continue to progress you well now soon enough. But like i said, and allow me to use more elementary writing for easier interpretation, if you say it online, make sure to have what it takes to say it in person, if not you should spend your time doing something else more productive. hypocracy should also be spared from this sport.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #41
oto_gc
I like diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelito View Post
O in regards to the question of who am I? If my fishing abilities continue to progress you well now soon enough. But like i said, and allow me to use more elementary writing for easier interpretation, if you say it online, make sure to have what it takes to say it in person, if not you should spend your time doing something else more productive. hypocracy should also be spared from this sport.

dude, don't mess with westpalmspearo, just let it be.

sounds like you are some kind of super spearo on the rise? please don't tease us, what can you do? how deep can you shoot? what's your bottom time?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #42
Teh Wicked

Reguarless of any views or perspectives...A cheater was caught, and disqulified. Good riddens!!!

Personally If I was Tony i would make it a point that every tournament this year knew about there actions and they should not be allowed to enter. Cheaters are no different than thieves, they take things from the rightful owners. in this case it would have been a $2,000 chopping spree or a Motorcycle. Instead the rightful owners which was Rob and Ricky Hampton got what they diserved. they worked hard and honestly for there prize.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #43
Tyler Durden
1st rule: Don't Talk.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverlen View Post
Well Tyler, I am sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I think Tony acted reasonably and promptly on this one.
If 3 years is your definition of "promptly", then what the hell would constitute dragging your feet??? A full decade????

Ask Tony, make him deny it. He was told of EXACTLY this by these EXACT guys over three years ago.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #44
ScottZeagle
www.Zeagle.com

Send a message via Yahoo to ScottZeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
If 3 years is your definition of "promptly", then what the hell would constitute dragging your feet??? A full decade????

Ask Tony, make him deny it. He was told of EXACTLY this by these EXACT guys over three years ago.
How many other people have been subject to the cheating rumors? More that Harolf, that is for certain, yet rumors is all they ever were....and many were started more out of jealousy than actual proof, as far as I can tell.

This year someone got caught, based on the additional support tools that Tony brought in. Better late than never, in my opinion.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #45
snooker
Wearer of the Man-kini!!

Send a message via AIM to snooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelito View Post
By you using elementary writing, did it also require you to use elementary spelling as well???
Closed Thread