Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2008 Tournament Archives > 2008 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 17-18

2008 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 17-18 This is the traditional Spearboard Open to be held May 17-18, 2008 - New Port Richey Rotary Pavilion

Old 05-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
SBO Grounds Trip...PB Hog...16-9

Sea Shooter (pops), myself, Teh Wicked (Brandon) and Whit (Keith) made a trip out the grounds for the SBO. We left out of Port Richey late Friday evening and got a little beat up on the way out. By the time we made it to the grounds and anchored up, the sun was down and we did a little night fishing. By the time we were ready to turn in, the winds had died down a little and we got a good nights rest.

The next day we made several drops in hopes of filling out our categories.

My best dive of the day was my third drop. It was a nice ledge with lots of relief and great structure. I had popped two gags and strung them up early in the dive. As I am cruising down the ledge, the fabled brown snouter heads my way and I sent a 60" Ray Odor free shaft in his direction and hit him with what I thought was a great shot to the head. He shook the shaft and darted down the ledge with a stream of green blood following. I caught up to him a short time later and he was floating about 10' above the ledge, just stunned. I had never seen that before, almost as if he was paralyzed. Usually if you paralyze a fish, it happens right away, this seemed like his spine broke after he swam away. I then tried to grab hold of the hog and the little bit of power he had left he scooted away. Funny thing was in all of my excitement at 130', I had a hard time getting him on my stringer. It ended up taking me a few minutes to get him strung up, but eventually it happened. To top things off I also got chased to the surface by a Dusky.

When he was weighed, he ended up being 16 lbs. 9 oz. gutted. My largest to date. He was beat out by 5 oz. by Rob Harding's fish.

After a couple of more dives, we headed back inshore to make one final dive from the grounds around 4 PM and stopped at an inshore ledge in 50' of water. After diving the grounds all day, this felt like a half hour saftey stop. I ended up getting 3 more fish to fill in my slots, only missing a final trigger/sheepshead.

I ended up with 62 points, my best result yet, and took one of those great E-SeaRider bean bags from the prize tent. Thanks Pat, I love those things!

I had a great time and appreciate Brandon and Keith for heading out with us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	biggsy_hog.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	75616  
Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
PrincessSlaya!
Just Simply Laura

Re: SBO Grounds Trip...PB Hog...16-9

Very Nice!

A champion is someone who gets up, even when he can't.

I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok. They know me here.

http://www.koahspearguns.com/
PrincessSlaya! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Topshotta

Congrats John!! That a great looking Hog right there. Sorry my schedule didnt allow me to shoot with you guys.

Kevin
Topshotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
sharpshooter

John, nice hog. A suggestion. If you carry 2 shafts, reload and put #2 shaft in the fish. If you only carry one shaft reload and shoot again. I lost some nice fish in the past thinking they were mortally wounded. Only to see them come back to life or give a few tail kicks and slip into a crevice. Then, silt it up. Finally,think about what happened. How could you do better next time? You'll be amazed how in the future. The same thing will happen again. Then, you're better prepared. How'd you're dad do?
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
nailman
Sponsor

Nice hog! Brandon said he had a blast with you guys. Great job at the weighin trying to keep order in all the confusion!

Warning: If it is not spearfishing related and positive in nature then keep your stupid ass away from my threads!
nailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
anchorman
Gifted

Kick ass hog man..........I love the big guys!!!<----in a fishing way not a gay way.
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

John, nice hog! It's always a great day when you set a PB! Also, thanks for stepping up and helping out! Everybody appreciated it. Thanks again. Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUj...HOLnolbCo3PlDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMIgPFBW1M
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

WTG man...thats a slob hog!
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
snokat
Registered Lobster Abuser

Send a message via AIM to snokat

Hogzilla!!!!!!

The only good fish, is the one on my plate. AK
snokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
PrincessSlaya!
Just Simply Laura

Beautiful !

A champion is someone who gets up, even when he can't.

I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok. They know me here.

http://www.koahspearguns.com/
PrincessSlaya! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #11
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

Nice fish John...it was great meeting you!

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

Our thoughts become words...words become actions...actions become habits...habits become character and it becomes our destiny.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
John, nice hog. A suggestion. If you carry 2 shafts, reload and put #2 shaft in the fish. If you only carry one shaft reload and shoot again. I lost some nice fish in the past thinking they were mortally wounded. Only to see them come back to life or give a few tail kicks and slip into a crevice. Then, silt it up. Finally,think about what happened. How could you do better next time? You'll be amazed how in the future. The same thing will happen again. Then, you're better prepared. How'd you're dad do?
You know that is a great idea and I would have normally done that but I got way too excited. I carry three shafts, so I had the extra firepower. Next time I won't play with it and just pop him again.

Dad did about the same as last year...33 points I believe. He got some fat mangoes which I was not able to find and he got the biggest amberjack on the boat which he stoned from overhead...it was a great shot.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
DRSALADO
Team Maverick America

John congrats That is a beast, great fish, very nice looking hog!
DRSALADO is offline   Reply With Quote