Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #3466
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Tyson Brown;
Thought you might like to know. We got a box full of assorted sauces from your buddy "Smokin'J's" and as carefull as he was to pack it ( and he went above the call!) one jar was broken. I contacted him and he re-shipped, no muss no fuss. All of the products are good, but Two in particular. The Sweet Dry Rub is Fantastic! And there was a small bottle ( about the size of a Tabasco bottle ) called Blackberry Ghost Pepper Sauce....W0W, good stuff!
Hope others give him a try, Thanks to you, I've now found him.
Awesome! I tried the blackberry ghost pepper sauce in a slightly hotter version he calls his "Red Top Hot Sauce", and that stuff is amazing on tacos/nachos.

We went earlier this month hiking in Georgia and then swung over to trout fish a little in Tennessee, and we did this with the rainbow trout and the stuff from Smokin' J's https://smokinjssignaturesauces.com/. Highly recommended:

Last edited by Tyson Brown; 07-27-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Tyson Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #3467
grey2112

Oh WOW I can't even begin to imagine how awesome those trout tasted. Been way too long since I've had fresh rainbow trout from TN.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #3468
Dbrown

Out of Anclote 7/29/2020
Multiple dives in 30'-55'
Viz was 20'. Bit hazy at times.
Temp shallow was 85. Deeper was 82
Lot of moon jellyfish.
Lot of fish.
Boat limit (4 divers) on hogs and Gaga plus one red grouper. 25 mangrove snapper.

Really great Wednesday!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4013.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	245863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4016.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	245864  
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #3469
CuzzA

Did someone say hurricane? Below a cat 3? Meh. We go diving. A couple donkeys, a doormat, and the usual suspects. Gags were thick everywhere and lots of scamps too. Only one big sandbar was seen as I was trying to retrieve a shaft after an Alamco free dive mishap. Mono broke on me. Better to happen on a jack than a gag.

Anyway, just another beautiful day in America's fish basket. 65 fsw off Palm Harbor. Viz was 30 ft. Seas laid down as the low shifted, then picked up to 2-3's. Marina was empty, gulf was empty. Good day for a Saturday.

Haven't seen a flounder in a hot minute.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1130
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	245865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captured.jpg
Views:	1643
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	245866  

Last edited by CuzzA; 08-01-2020 at 07:55 PM.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #3470
Dbrown

Nice job!
Old 08-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #3471
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Nice job!
Thanks man. I see you, Dave, Adam and Alyssa cleaned up yesterday too.

Those two jacks were a shot in the dark prayer in 65'. We never even dove the reef as they were shot out in the sand. The smaller was freeshafted, the bigger one turned the shaft into a pretzel. Lots of bait helped finding the fish shows on the bottom machine. Gags were definitely in shallower water as you know.

Spent the afternoon smoking a couple pieces. My youngest was impatient and started digging in before I could get them off the grill. 3 year old approved.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200802_194352.jpg
Views:	1118
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	245870  
Old 08-03-2020, 06:17 AM   #3472
dkay

Solid day Cuzza! I’m sooo jealous of that flounder!
dkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:07 PM   #3473
heybuddies

Out yesterday and today... worked our way from GunSmoke to north of the ditch to the Sheridan and a bunch of ledges in between. Viz was quit good. TTB in 55’ once we were in the water today. Not bad for summer. No AJs seen but we were free diving in 80’ or less. Did alright with gags, red grouper, hogs etc . And viz was remarkable for August. Pretty much 40-50’ no matter where we were, but definitely better the deeper we were. Great time of year to be cruising on the water.
heybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #3474
Dbrown

Dove shallow August 15, 2020 off Bayport. 55 to 60 foot of water. Visibility was about 35 feet horizontally and vertically. Moon jellyfish in the water at 20 feet. Lots of fish, lots of bait. No real size to anything. Shot my limit of snapper and got a bonus spiny lobster. Fun day. Easy diving. Helped 2 new divers with their first offshore dive after formal cert.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4076.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	245911  
Old 08-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #3475
CuzzA

We were out yesterday. Somewhere 50 miles off Steinhatchee. Dove a barge in 100 fsw with some fat mangoes and a couple amberjack plus a Cuda for one diver shooting in the SPO. Not sure the name of the barge. It was on that TV show Catching Hell. If anyone knows I'd appreciate the answer. Jewfish would pounce on the fish the moment you shot one. Back into about 80 fsw on ledges we found some really nice and fat hogfish, a few gags and I bagged my second firetruck of the year. But holy red snapper. Hundreds of them, many pushing 20+ pounds. One diver had a hogfish literally snatched out of his hands by a shark. I did not see any sharks. Viz was great all day. 30-50 ft. Seas kicked up a bit throughout the day and we got caught in a couple storms.

All in all a good day. A long one though on a slow diesel.

Last edited by CuzzA; 08-16-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #3476
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Anyone flying over the Gulf today for a vis report?
Old 09-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #3477
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
Anyone flying over the Gulf today for a vis report?
We will know on Saturday - LOL.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #3478
jbsrq

it's going to be chocolate milk for a while
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #3479
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrq View Post
it's going to be chocolate milk for a while
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:01 AM   #3480
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Despite the well-intentioned naysaying, we decided to take a chance and get off the couch.

I knew about the rule that if you spend good money on fishing bait and bring a lot of rods and three tackle boxes on a dive trip, that the vis is always good enough that you never end up fishing, and the bait goes to waste. So that's what we did. And it was worth it.

Well, the water in 45' looked less like chocolate milk and more like glittery chicken noodle soup, but Eric still pulled 4 or 5 mangroves off the ledge. 5' vis?

Headed out to 65' and found good vis, dark 20' improving to 30'+ towards early afternoon.

Lots of cool big jellyfish, not moons, but some type that was light tan and had 10' long tentacles - got one wrapped around my reg mouthpiece and I think Eric is maybe going to rename the spot "Mustache of Misery".

I shot the biggest mangrove I'd ever seen, probably pushing 10lb, at the next spot, and I saw it go halfway up my shaft, but it went under the ledge and got back off the front of the shaft. Flopper issue? It stayed under the ledge, and i popped over to the other side to see what I could see. When I looked back up across the way, a big goliath had stuck his eyeball into the entrance where my fish had gone in - his tail was straight up in the air (water?) and he was just sitting there with his nose on the sand, trying to see in his side just like me on my side. I was displeased regarding his intentions, so I let him know via a poke to the rear. He was surprised to learn of my animosity, and protested loudly several times as he took off and circled around the ledge.

In the middle of all that, a nice gag (almost 27") came up behind the goliath and was also trying to see about the commotion. His inattention led to his death. Of course, while I was stringing him up, a gag clearly twice his weight appeared 5' away from me, to hastily perform last rites for his departed younger brother. And then he also departed, though not in the way I would have preferred, as I'm not any good at throwing spears underwater.

And then the bull shark came, so I had a shark circling behind and a goliath circling in front. I charged the shark right away to dispossess him of any stupid ideas, and he henceforth left me alone. It was spooky going halfway into a hole, with only my legs and fish sticking out, knowing that sharks are dumb and have short memories...

I ended up shooting my mangrove again under the ledge, with a freeshaft because that's what I loaded, and the shaft was about 6" out of my reach. I hit 500 psi, and had a headache, and knew I couldn't wait for the silt to die for a shot with my lineshaft, so I ascended from my last dive of the day minus a nice mangrove and minus a nice shaft.

All in all, a fabulous day on the water. Really great vis, about normal for non-hurricane weeks.

Get out there, remember to bring your topside fishing gear to guarantee good vis, and be safe! You could probably bring tubing or wakeboarding equipment also, I'm sure that would help the vis.

Making Sherpa Stew:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20200920_022926107.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	246037