Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #46
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Re: Lion fish, its official

Ive been stung...didnt think it was that bad. Then again, I broke my nose 3x, my finger, and slipped 2 discs in my back with active spasms during football games and did not stop, did not tell people, and never sought medical attention because I didnt think they hurt enough to be anything. Maybe thats just me.

If I see one, I would shoot it. Im 100% against invasive, because Ive witnessed first hand the damage they can do to natives like carp in wisconsin, and south american fishes in your Florida freshwater. In reality though, they are found to have a high rate of cannibalism, and EVERYTHING is eaten by something else. On top of that, no matter how many you, or anyone else shoots they are never going to be gone, in fact there will only be more. People will continue to release them and every female you dont find will produce god knows how many offspring. Shoot as many as you can, yes. Go ballistic about something you cant change? No.

Youve heard me, Ive heard you, lets let this be done so other people can get on with a discussion about the situation.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #47
Bolton
Tridiver

Dude, What the hell are you smoking!!! You can DEFINITELY control something by eliminating it!!! And it's nice to know you're such a bad ass that can handle pain!! And BTW you don't even come close to me and a lot of divers here as far as breaking their bodies up, so if's that all you got.....save the typing! And show me the documentary of lionfish eating each other. I'd like to see that!! You're a lib that thinks if we shoot muslim terrorists, we'll only create more!!! Great thinking there Einstein
Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #48
keezdiver
Resident Fish Biologist

Send a message via AIM to keezdiver

the problem lies in the fact that they are able to inhabit areas that are not frequented by divers.

they have been reported in waters as deep as 300ft. if a pair set up residence on a place like the marathon hump...what are divers gonna do about it?

i have not seen much scientific based information saying that cannibalism occurs. while i'm sure it's possible, it won't be enough to control a population. if it was, than we wouldn't have seen the population explosion that we did in the north florida to carolinas.

and while i'm sure there are fish out there that will eat them, preliminary studies have shown a VERY quick learning curve. predators may suck them in, but once they get stung, they remember WELL. and its interesting that some flat out avoid them based solely on the coloration and plumage (reason they are bright with large fins).

shooting them will help. but it is not going to prevent them from spreading. its inevitable, just a matter of how long.
Accepting donations of beer, food, gas or numbers...for a ride
I'm a car fanatic...my web page with pics
keezdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #49
Badfish5446

I just came back from Jamaica and actually saw a nice sized one there hanging out in one of the rocks.
Badfish5446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #50
GRIMLOCK

I've noticed a huge increase in the LionFish population here in &*%#@, Japan. Since reading this thred, I've been shooting any Lionfish I come across. Shot 5 two nights ago, one was HUGE, should have tried to eat the bugger, heard they are tasty
GRIMLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #51
BreathlessSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolton View Post
So they are good eating!! That's nice to read. So shoot them them and EAT them!!
They are part of the grouper family arent they?
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #52
Charlestondivin

We used to be excited to see one in SC, then we started seeing them often, then every dive. Now we see Multiple lionfish near every dive. Seems like there are a pair every 10 yards down the ledge. They will also make their home on very small structure as welll as bigger ledges.

Seems that all the little tropicals are gone... there used to be lots going in and out of the rock and coral, Just not there any more.

I've seen them from 50' to 220' with the numbers increasing exponentially. Killing them is like pissing on a forest fire. It's just too many.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #53
ShallowMinded
Don't break for Cuda's

How far south are they officially?
ShallowMinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #54
Aimrite Tko
Broward Longfins Member

Ill be in the keys looking for these guys.
Aimrite Tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:16 AM   #55
vnxdragon

The answer to this problem lies in the eating. I know of a species that will keep lion fish population in check. They are call ASIANS. Convince them that it's good eating, release them in the water and your problem is solve. There's quite a few here in california if you guy need some. Come with your net and I'll show you how to catch them.
vnxdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #56
Ballenita

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn now that shit is foul man..!!!

Ballenita is offline   Reply With Quote