Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:25 PM   #16
CDMdeepbreather

Re: Spearfishing After Shoulder Replacement

Some interesting info on this thread. I'm curious, does diving 20-50ft (as that's the depth of 99% of my dives) really cause vascular restriction to the point of avascular necrosis of the bones in our knee/hip/shoulder joints? Is it just caused by depth, or also influenced by time below the surface? I don't have any avascular necrosis, but after years of abuse in soccer/running/volleyball/surfing/snowboarding etc... both hips get sore and one of my shoulders (had hip arthroscopy in 2012...still gets sore after exercise). I've heard of AVN before, but had never heard of it being caused by diving. Curious what you guys know about this. I'll be doing some researching on my own as well....
CDMdeepbreather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #17
Habo

Please ask your ortho about a reverse shoulder replacement. It is a younger procedure where the socket on the scapula is replaced with a ball joint and the original ball on the humerus is replaced with a socket.

Faster recovery and less restrictions initially. Created and Patented by Dr. Marc Frankle in Tampa Florida.
Habo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #18
ggoodman

Also Call your local OR and ask who they would let replace their shoulder, You get a the best job you can. I am OR nurse and will at some point will be an Otho ARNP Physiologicly there is no reason you can spear fish and load a band gun just get strong do your rehab and follow directions. Motivated patients tend to do very well, just follow their directions and like ai said Call you local hospital ask to speak to charge nurse in the OR and ask them who they would let do their shoulder. GG OR nurse manager
ggoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #19
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Good luck Moose. I'll be starting my conquest for stem cells soon. Motrin helps me a lot so maybe I have a chance. Another thing to remember the money is in replacement not stems. . so ask a stem cell place. Ill take a dozen big needles vs. Surgery anyday.
Next tiem you are at the doctor’s office, ask your doctor for a prescription of Ibuprofen with a gastroprotector. That way, you can reduce your risk of developing an ulcer. My doctor told me about it and wrote me Duexis 800mg. He said that the pain killers can also kill your gut! I used it for a month and it was the shnitz!!!! Maybe the medical guy can chime in.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #20
Coos-spearo

I had a hip replaced two weeks ago on a Monday, was walking the next day and went driving on the 3rd. After one week I was back to work and off the crutches. I am almost to the end of week 2 and climbing stairs unassisted and planning my next dive. I prepared in advance. I lost 50 lbs, cleaned up my eating and focused energy on a quick recovery. I am 56 years old. I imagine I will be back in the water, at the end of week 3. I only see an improvement over diving with osteoarthritis in the right hip. Good luck.
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote