Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Recipe Corner > Recipes Here!

Recipes Here! Here's your little corner to demonstrate your culinary skills.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
TheKeeneroo

Salmon Sushi with Belly Skin Chicharrones and Micro Greens

I have a long time buddy that has a 26' Osprey and over the years we've got some really nice fish! Even though the bite was super slow for everyone on this day - we fished for almost 10 hours, we still managed to wrangle in a few salmon. The largest salmon was peeling line like a tuna no matter how tight I put the drag on... I was fighting for a good few minutes before I felt something pull it super hard and then it went limp... dang sea lion! I reeled in a half of a fish as fast as I could and right before we could get it on the boat, the sea lion grabbed it again and took the rest of it. So he had sushi too.

The other fish I successfully landed, I took home the collar, belly meat, fillets, head and spine. Had a great time last night making sushi with my wife and figuring out fun ways to use the meat from various parts of the fish. I didn't even really need to touch the fillets for the rolls because there was so much meat from everywhere else. One of my biggest challenges when attempting to get inventive in the kitchen is figuring out how to plate the food in an attractive way. At least it tasted good! I'm super grateful that my wife who was recently pregnant and the thought of fish sickened her, is now back in love with fish!!! I'm really excited to surprise my good buddy with the collar and a fat fillet - he loves fish!

The recipe for this yummy meal is below:

Sushi Rice:
2 cups sushi or short grain rice
2.5 cups water, plus extra for rinsing rice
1/4 cup rice vinegar (I recently ran out so I used white wine vinegar instead and it tasted great)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
INSTRUCTIONS
Place the rice into a mesh strainer. Swirl the rice in the water until the water runs clear. Place the rice and 2.5 cups of water into a medium saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Combine the rice vinegar, oil, sugar and salt in a small sauce pan and heat until sugar dissolves. Pour over rice and mix thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature before using.

Sushi Roll
I push rice onto a piece of plastic wrap (as thin as possible), then I get a sheet of seaweed and mist it with water so it doesn't crack when rolling, then basically you add whatever you want in the roll. I used salmon, avocado, green onion, sriracha, carrot (and I forgot cucumber at the store!). Roll it up and slice. Sprinkle furikake seasoning and sesame seeds. You could use salmon roe to top it, but my buddy threw it overboard when gutting the fish on the water (doh!).

Spicy Sashimi and belly skin chicharrones with Micro Greens
Flatten a ball of rice, add thick cuts of meat. top with seasonings and sesame oil. On the side, add sriracha, wasabi, and veggies. The micro greens were an afterthought but it actually made the whole dish pop with awesome and contrasting flavor with a bit of crunch. I bent metal skewers to shishkabob some salmon skin (make sure you descale it first!) and fry it otherwise it tends to shrivel up when cooking.

Miso Soup
I cheated and used a packet.

If you like sake, I recommend unfiltered cold sake. Bon apetite!!
TheKeeneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
HurricaneBK

Re: Salmon Sushi with Belly Skin Chicharrones and Micro Greens

Learning that salmon skin chicharrones exist might be the best thing I've learned this week. Must try them. All your cooking and recipes look awesome!

We have yellowjacks here in S.FL which are similar to your Pacific Yellowtail/Hamachi, have you ever done a collar on one on the grill or baked? It's one of my favorite dishes at Japanese restaurants and I'd like to try and replicate it.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote