Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2008 Tournament Archives > 2008 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 17-18

2008 SBO Blue Storm Classic - May 17-18 This is the traditional Spearboard Open to be held May 17-18, 2008 - New Port Richey Rotary Pavilion

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #61
Adelito

Re: What happened to Harolf Dean????

But if any more of westpalmspearo friends would like to take a shot at me, it would be easier if you start a new post......You guys are doing great things for my ego....
Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #62
Adelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdude View Post
I as many board members respect patrick he never has anything bad about people that dont deserve it. I agree with patrick. all these years that man STOLE from all the good hearted spear fishermen.that put a great deal of money into these tournies,and play by the rules.. You post on here almost in a defensive manner to Patrick's post. Saying that if he said that to you you would hit him??? YOU cant say you were any better than his post. also you post saying watch out for me. sounds like you have a BIG ego..
Do me a favor read it again slowly, maybe ask someone to read it for you.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #63
Mobile Diver

There was a lie detector there?? Where??

The Harolf Dean rumors have been around for a long time. There was never any way to prove them or any sort of cheating. Only a boat observer could do that.

Tony needs to clear all this up. I am sure we will get a thread soon.
305 849 0866
Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #64
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgdawg View Post
settingsteel, I agree with everything you said, but if you think everybody who competes in tournaments share the same ideas as you, then yes, you are naive.
yep then I be...perhaps a new thread....Why do you compete? if not for the reasons I mentioned >or< then why, surely not for the $$$ or at least not primarily for the $$$...its not like one of them Billfish tourny with a 100bangs, which still wouldn't justify one to cheat...I agree with what has been said by a few, lie detectors, boat observers, etc. should all be things to consider if this is something thats going around like Lolita Pantunflas on a Saturday night...
Old 05-20-2008, 05:01 AM   #65
diverlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
If 3 years is your definition of "promptly", then what the hell would constitute dragging your feet??? A full decade????

Ask Tony, make him deny it. He was told of EXACTLY this by these EXACT guys over three years ago.
Yes, Tyler, I have heard all of these arguments many times before; however, I stick with my original post. Sometimes, jealousy and animosity are hard things to die.

Last edited by diverlen; 05-20-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #66
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelito View Post
But if any more of westpalmspearo friends would like to take a shot at me, it would be easier if you start a new post......You guys are doing great things for my ego....

Adelito, It is not about you bro. Dude was allegedly caught cheating and exposed. You don't see him here defending himself. Cubans are good people, there are bad apples in every bunch man. You must be Cuban, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you know the guy. Don't take it personally.

Personally, I think he has done more damage to himself than anyone here could. How embarassing...
Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #67
anchorman
Gifted

People cheat at everything. Its human nature. Glad this guy was caught but this kind of thing happens all the time.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #68
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_720 View Post
hey i dont give a f*** im not the one crying about this shit...so dont come to me with the sarcastic bulls***, cus i dont give 3 f****...ur just hot headed and u think its right to threaten people, and its f****** wrong, bro if u havent realized u can get in alot of sh** for that..... sapingo, pela-pinga
You remind me of my Fiance's little yappy lap dog. All 6# of the lil' bastard.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #69
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulit7 View Post
Personally, I think he has done more damage to himself than anyone here could. How embarassing...
Word!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #70
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
People cheat at everything. Its human nature.
I hope not.

From the hundreds of spearo's I have met, I'd bet 99.9% are honest. Most won't take the lifetime risk of ruining a solid reputation in the dive community for cheating.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #71
Grin

Lie detector test are involved in many tournaments in Florida and the Bahamas, Caribean and Pacific and anywhere big money tournaments are run. Why would anyone object to this practice / enforcment unless they were a cheater themselves or trying to back up a cheater freind or just a plain moron. Rarly do the test even need to be conducted, but when the possibility is there for any competitor to file a complaint and institute the rule it keeps it clean 100% of the time.
It appears to me that the Spearboard Open is not a big money tournament and for this reason the Lie Detector threat was never thought of at all. But the tournament became huge quick in it's short history, and has many uncommon circumstances that make it a easy target. It also appears to me that this problem was most likely present before Tony had anything to do with the tournament. Maybe not as far as the winners every year, but it appears it worked it's way into some parts of the winners circle last year, and quickly became a serious issue. So for the Tony bashers, it appears it may have taken Tony a year to straighten up what he inherited, as far as this tournament goes. How many different versions of accusations have we heard in the last year here? It appears to me this years situation will be a great stride in the tournaments future. Although it may be late, who's to say what year it would be neccessary to see the unforseen. A unforseen tournament structure issue from day one was fixed as soon as it could be as soon as it appeared.
In reality it appears it worked out perfectly. The same people who were suspected of cheating last year, gave Tony the chance to proove it this year. Otherwise, it would be hearsay and unprooven forever. Although many made this claim last year, the structure of the tournament had no way of dealing with it then.
In the respectable world, who would suspect anyone could be low enough to cheat in a tournament for personal pride and notoritety. Money was not even the object of this torunament of integrity.
Since it's supposed to be a fun tournament (not a money torunament), the Lie Detector thing was just a unforseen neccassary rule. Hindsight shows it needed to be in place from the first day. When you look at the uncharacteristic situation this tournament provides, where you are allowed to hunt one day(anywhere in the USA) then bring in what you caught the next day to weigh, it opens the door and should be no suprise that some thieve took advantage. It just took a few years to work it's way up into a "directly in your face " situation.
Right now I'm going to the 2007 archives to see what this Harold Dean guy, and his teammates, look like, and who they associate with, or who they represent(ed).
Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #72
anchorman
Gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnoly View Post
I hope not.

From the hundreds of spearo's I have met, I'd bet 99.9% are honest. Most won't take the lifetime risk of ruining a solid reputation in the dive community for cheating.
I agree, most people I meet in general are good people. Its the 1%'ers that screw up everything. Sad but very true.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #73
bigwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Diver View Post
There was a lie detector there?? Where??

The Harolf Dean rumors have been around for a long time. There was never any way to prove them or any sort of cheating. Only a boat observer could do that.

Tony needs to clear all this up. I am sure we will get a thread soon.
I hope he (Tony) does shed some light on the situation all of these presumptions are rediculous. I'd like to here from the direct parties involved, I guess wether he cheated or not, any Tourney Harolf or any of the spearos that shoot with him are going question every time now. It just doesn't make sense to me why ( if he did cheat ) someone would go through all that trouble and expense to win the SBO. It's a shame either way, that guys a hell of a spearo and true or false this kinda shit isn't good for the sport. BW
Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #74
StabbinBoy
A good view on life

Send a message via AIM to StabbinBoy

I saw the milky eyes as he lifted the fish out of his cooler and onto the table next to us, and thought to myself "This guy has got to be kidding - does he think we're all stupid or WHAT???"

Rumor has it he shot those fish in the Bahamas with a speargun too - further proof that this guy ain't playin with a full deck. It's hard to make the weigh in while you're in a Bahamian prison.

Sadly, our plans to run to the Bahamas were thwarted by those damn cameramen Tony put on our boat, or I just KNOW we'd have taken first place !!!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #75
Adelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulit7 View Post
Adelito, It is not about you bro. Dude was allegedly caught cheating and exposed. You don't see him here defending himself. Cubans are good people, there are bad apples in every bunch man. You must be Cuban, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you know the guy. Don't take it personally.

Thank you very much, i really appreciate the kind of approach you bring. I did realize the mention of origin in the thread, but decided fishing is what was important here. Believe it or not i have never fished with him, but against him dozens of times, he never stops amazing me. I would not dream and make this argument about me, i am sincerely not good enough. In the tournaments where our spots have coincided i felt like i was watching a video. But again thank you for your statement. I will take your advice, and make it the least personal i can. I am not mad at all, just surprised that no one understands, that this man will most likely be one of the top finishers in the world this year, he is on the world team for a reason. thank you once more, i hope that you mentor many more like you. o and nice f#@$%%* bike, what does it do? i understand if you dont take it all the way........ i did 140 in a hayabusa not to long ago.......... and dont plan on doing it again
Closed Thread