Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
popgun pete

Sea Snip Dive Scissors

https://spearfishing.com.au/products...-sea-snips-red

I recently bought some of these Sea Snip dive scissors which are on special at 9 dollars a pair. One blade is serrated and the other blade is smooth, so they grab while they cut rather than the item sliding through the nip in an "S" form, somewhat like braid scissors. The blades are stainless steel and ribbed like Tullen cutters which shear cut through most things and would be great diving cutters except that they rust being a plated carbon steel. I once bought a no name rip-off of the Tullen cutter in stainless steel, but the spring was only chrome plated that kept the blades sprung open. No springs in these Pro Blue Sea Snips and there is a cable shear cutter close in to the pivot pin on the grip handle side of the scissors, you can see a small half moon shape where it is on each handle's blade section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro Blue Sea Snips.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	242061  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: Sea Snip Dive Scissors

Pete, I have punched sea snips in Amazon.es (Spain) and while I didn't get any results, I tried directly with TIJERAS TRAUMA (TRAUMA SEARS) and I got quite a few results. All of them look the same, wire cutting notch and all. Some even indicate STAINLESS STEEL and one of them claimed to be titanium coated.

all of them cost arround the same, with the most expensive options including a sheath of some sort.

Now my question are:

- Which one is the real McCoy? I would like to get a pair but mostly for my campers first aid kit. I want to make sure I get the best ones!

- No doubt they are usefull for scuba diving but... for spearos? Definitely they cannot substitute the knife (as they are useless for killing fish having no point).

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #3
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Pete, I have punched sea snips in Amazon.es (Spain) and while I didn't get any results, I tried directly with TIJERAS TRAUMA (TRAUMA SEARS) and I got quite a few results. All of them look the same, wire cutting notch and all. Some even indicate STAINLESS STEEL and one of them claimed to be titanium coated.

all of them cost arround the same, with the most expensive options including a sheath of some sort.

Now my question are:

- Which one is the real McCoy? I would like to get a pair but mostly for my campers first aid kit. I want to make sure I get the best ones!

- No doubt they are usefull for scuba diving but... for spearos? Definitely they cannot substitute the knife (as they are useless for killing fish having no point).

Mikel
A bit late in answering, but the truth is I don’t know which cutters are the original version, so I bought the Pro Blue ones from China as they were readily available. The original Tullen cutters (made in New Zealand) went out of business some years ago sending buyers scrambling for old stock and whatever turned up in charity shops when deceased estate household goods were sent to them for disposal. Now the demand has seen the business start up again and they can virtually cut through anything that is not too thick.
https://tullen.co.nz/products/tullen-shear

I bought 3 pairs of Tullen cutters a couple of decades ago and all are going strong, but they would be ruined by saltwater.

Why shear cutters are handy is to cut yourself out of trouble if you ever get, or look like being wrapped up, or you come to the rescue of one of your dive buddies, plus no risk of being accidently stabbed as their ends are blunt.

P.S. Looks like the new versions are in stainless steel, so I am going to buy myself a pair.

Last edited by popgun pete; 08-07-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:18 AM   #4
popgun pete

A little bit of history.
https://teara.govt.nz/en/diagram/41853/tullen-snips
The Tullen blunt cutters could cut anything, from flimsy cling-film to metal. Their versatility led to large export orders for Tullen Industries, especially after marketing manager Steve Bridges led a design team creating versions for the kitchen, the workshop and the playroom. Pictured are patent drawings of the kitchen cutter designed by Peter Davies. In 1985 Tullen was sold to the British-based Wilkinson Sword, which sold its Home and Garden division to Finland-based Fiskars in 1988. When the new owners visited the almost-completed Auckland factory, they were not impressed by the latest innovation: the world’s most efficient robotic plant, designed to make 360 stainless-steel scissors per hour, 24 hours a day – far more than existing Fiskar factories. The scissor plant was scrapped and the blunt cutter production was shifted to a Wilkinson Sword plant in Wales.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #5
popgun pete

The new Tullen cutters arrived today and are a bit larger than I thought that they would be from the photos. The green plastic handles are a new design, but something about them seemed different in the curved inwards nature of the stamped reinforced blades which is what makes them shear cut as they slide over each other. Then I flipped over the cardboard and blister packaging to see the words "made in China"! For the 40 buck purchase plus shipping price and from the promotional spiel I figured that, like the originals, they were made in New Zealand, but as soon as I could see nothing stamped on the blades I suspected something was amiss. Watch for the clones from China as inevitably they get copied or sold by the Chinese manufacturer who is impatient for greater sales to another outlet, it happens all the time.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
aue-mike

I've been using these for a while now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018OCOROU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The carabiner addition is nice as you can clip them off on a d-ring while dealing with something and then re-sheath them later at your leisure. For $11 they are a good deal and will last a few seasons before needing replacing, or longer if you take better care of them.
aue-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
popgun pete

You can buy those same snips in black with different handle colors here: https://www.cesdeals.com/product/1pc...lack-300890.01
Old 08-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
aue-mike

The link I posted also has them in black and blue, which are only $10. I go with the bright colored handle so if they are accidentally dropped in silty and/or low vis situations they are easier to spot.
aue-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #9
theonetruerat

All our paramedics carry those scissors.

Many practitioners use them as bandage and cast scissors so they are often offered as "Booth Swag" at conventions but you have to get to the table early to get the ones with the clip on the handle.
theonetruerat is offline   Reply With Quote