Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing > California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA)

California Fisheries Regulations and Science (MLPA & MPA) Here is a dedicated forum for the extremely important MLPA & MPA process

Old 05-31-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
Wind_in_his_hair

Re: Round 2 MLPA maps available??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
Also here are all the internal maps Lapis1, Lapis2, Opal, and Topaz.
Thanks Joe!

Just looking at the PV maps they appear not to conform to SAT size guidelines. Is that true or am I missing something?

Mike
Wind_in_his_hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #17
Seacidal

Another diver asked me why all the proposals agree to close Santa Barbara. Until I compared all of these maps, I didn't think it was true. With the exception of External Proposal B, it looks like all the Gem Groups and External Proposals A & C pretty much agree to place a closure right where UCSB wants it. Incredible! Actually, lousy!

I don't dive those beaches, but I'm hearing from a lot of divers who do. And from dive shop owners who are going to be really seriously hurt by these closures. Not good.

Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #18
tmaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacidal View Post
I don't dive those beaches, but I'm hearing from a lot of divers who do. And from dive shop owners who are going to be really seriously hurt by these closures. Not good.
Chip,
Probably the best thing you could have done to understand this mess was to shadow the groups that had to come up with these lousy arrays. Many did just that. We had observers in every group. That said, this is a pretty bad outcome for the folks who covet Coal Oil Point and Deveroux—I agree.
However, we are hemmed in with size and spacing guidelines. Going to the East hits an outfall pipe—a no-no for reserves. Going to the West takes in Naples reef. Doing nothing busts the spacing guidelines preordained by the SAT. Please come up with a better idea and we will fight for it.
Terry
tmaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #19
Seacidal

I'm trying. I'm trying. I agree, it's a difficult challenge with all the strong competing interests. What would be a preferred closure for divers might not be a preferred closure for kayakers, or lobsters fishermen, etc.

I'm hoping there might be some way to figure out a less painful outcome. We'll see.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:08 AM   #20
Seacidal

In reviewing the current maps, it's amazing how the Laguna and SB areas proposed for closures aren't all that different than what was proposed way back in 2001. Except that the Carp. closure (from 2001) appears to have been taken away.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #21
Nate Baker

Forgive me if it's posted somewhere, but what was the vote count for Opal?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #22
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomol View Post
Forgive me if it's posted somewhere, but what was the vote count for Opal?
Nate, for the internal proposals that went through coverged as one, there was no vote necessary. I believe it was Lapis that was split, and it was a 61 and a 62 vote. The RSG was much more interested in keeping their internal proposals alive than the Ext. proposals. Well....ONE of the Ext. Proposals had pretty broad support, but the name of it escapes me at the moment...
Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #23
IB Boyd

I guess I should know this but I dont-What exactly is allowed in the blue and green areas? Just tried searching the MPA website and couldnt find anything. Any help appreciated.
Boyd
IB Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #24
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Boyd View Post
I guess I should know this but I dont-What exactly is allowed in the blue and green areas? Just tried searching the MPA website and couldnt find anything. Any help appreciated.
Boyd
The (Blue) areas are SMCA's. State Marine Conservation Areas. The nearshore, thin iterations will be replacing the current SMP State Marine Parks(Yellow). If the SMCA is large enough to meeet size guidelines, (9sq. miles minimum) then they will be considered part of the network if they allow only Mod-high LOP take. Ie, pelagics, but not lobster or sheephead/ reef fish. The (Yellow) SMP are kind of custom built for each location, moslty they will allow finfish take and lobster, but will not allow any commercial take. The Green area is called a SMRMA State Marine Recreational Managed Area. The SMRMA is actually designed to be used as a management tool for waterfowl hunting, ala Morro Bay. United Anglers put it forth as a proposal for an advanced managemet tool. In the iteration shown, it would allow fishing, with a slot limit for 14-17" only for bass and sheephead. All other take would be OK for the other remaining species with no special limits. DFG said it was too much to deal with, so they shot it down.

We have a lot of answers to these and most other questions on the MLPA 101 clips on Youtube. Hope this answers your questions- if not, let me know!!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #25
Logan

Can someone post a link to the description/regulations for each of the SMCA's for these maps? In particular, I am interested in the rules for the SMCA at the southern end of Orange county in external C (high LOP only allowing spearing of coastal pelagics?) and also the SMCAs in the Laguna area in external A (also high LOP?)?

Very sneaky the way external C captures Monarch Bay with their geometry, could have made the point a very easy landmark and left SOME rocky structure...but no.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #26
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Can someone post a link to the description/regulations for each of the SMCA's for these maps? In particular, I am interested in the rules for the SMCA at the southern end of Orange county in external C (high LOP only allowing spearing of coastal pelagics?) and also the SMCAs in the Laguna area in external A (also high LOP?)?

Very sneaky the way external C captures Monarch Bay with their geometry, could have made the point a very easy landmark and left SOME rocky structure...but no.
SMCA's in Ext. A for Laguna are mod LOP, and allow broad range of take. They are designed to simplify regulations and to take the place of the existing State Marine Parks. They are not Mod- high LOP because they do not meet size/ spacing guidelines, and do not add tot eh network of MPA's for habitat coverage. They are specific toward tidepool/intertidal protections. The SMCA in Ext. C is exactly as you stated, pelagics only and bait. No calicos. But you can anchor there, and tear up the reef....legally.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #27
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaas View Post
Team,
I changed the extension as Joe suggested. Now when you download the three proposals, more WinZip applications will automatically "see" the three imbedded proposals. Extract them to a temporary folder. Double click each to veiw in Google Earth.
Terry
Here is the link
http://www.freedive.net/MLPA/maps.htm

Thanks for providing that link for the external proposals Terry.

But could you also provide a link to the Internal Proposals zip files? I like that Google Earth format a lot. Helps when comparing the maps.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #28
BigJoe

You can go to Marine Map now and without a login see External A, External B, and all four of the internal proposals. External C is not available as it is not moving forward. go to www.marinemap.org/marinemap Close the data layer and splash screen windows. Click on the Marine protected Areas And Arrays toolbar to open the selection box then you can check the array you want to see under public arrays. There is also a help icon that will help you understand how to select MPA areas or arrays. Then you can click an area and get full info that tells take and other information. Pretty easy.

Oh you must have Flash or this site will not work.
BigJoe is offline   Reply With Quote