Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #16
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Gags on Scuba...

Eyep, their ability to blend in w/ the sand is quite amazing. You've got to act uninterested though.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #17
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Eyep, their ability to blend in w/ the sand is quite amazing. You've got to act uninterested though.
Acting uninterested is usually what I do when I see them. I'll try to swim parallel to them and slowly close the gap and slowly bring my gun on them. I often try to pretend like I don't see them by not looking right at them. Usually they'll leisurely swim away, which gives me the opportunity to strike, but this year they are having no part of my techniques and I've missed big gags on every dive so far this year. Frustrating.

I'm going to keep trying different things and see what happens. Hopefully I will have better success and I'll report back. It's certainly motivation to get back in the water ASAP.
CuzzA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #18
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1811.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	235100  
Old 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #19
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldomson1 View Post
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
I won't hold my breath.

Well maybe.
CuzzA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #20
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Lot of good info on here. I'll also offer a few thoughts.

Gags are cold blooded animals, as the water temps increase, their body temps increase along with it. As their body temp increases, their metabolism increases. They think, react and move quicker when warmer.

Try to be as quiet as you can, avoid throwing a 10 Lb buoy onto the spot you're going to roll on. Avoid diving with flailing loud dive buddies. Avoid driving over the spot 6 times with the motor running. (its loud as hell on the bottom) Avoid dropping on the down current end of a ledge which forces a hard commotion filled swim up the ledge against the current.

Try to appear as non-threatening as you can. Try to dive on smaller bottom which probably doesn't receive as much pressure from other divers. Try to minimize all your gear and gun to become more stream lined. Thus producing less effort to move forward (quieter).

Take the time to get accurate gps numbers on both ends of a ledge so that on any given day, you can swim it with the current.

Configure your gear so you can obtain neutral buoyancy without much effort. Don't wear so much lead that you have to pump(loud) 20 Lbs of air in to the BC to get neutral. Be as quiet and non-threatening as you can.

Treat gags like a big game land hunt. The gun configuration that works in cooler months to shot Hogs and SheepHead isn't going to be the best choice for warm water Gags. Don't drop down with every gadget known to man on your gun.

A medium range lightweight, easy to turn and shoot gun is the ticket. In the typical low viz, and considering the spooky shallow water fish you're hunting, you might only have split seconds to react and put the spear where it needs to go.

Best, Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUj...HOLnolbCo3PlDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMIgPFBW1M
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #21
kmoose
Team Headhunter

All the things Dan listed above not to do are things he squalled about me doing long ago. Solid and priceless advice.

When I'm having trouble closing the gap on flighty gags I will give them enough room by sliding out into the sand and loop back from the high side of the pile or ledge. Once you go by them without pointing your gun or swimming at them you can cut the distance of their view of your approach from the high side and get a closer shot from a better angle.

Don't chase gags, stalk them from a distance and wait for them to make a mistake. Every gag that has ended up in a cooler made a mistake that you or someone else capitalized on. If they didn't screw up you would never shoot one.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #22
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Kmoose,we call that "herding".
They will often head for a cave or piece of structure to hide in or behind even as small as a single sponge or soft coral.Once they do ,you can keep the structure between you and angle in closer.
100days-a-year is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #23
SeaSage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post

Try to be as quiet as you can, avoid throwing a 10 Lb buoy onto the spot you're going to roll on....Avoid driving over the spot 6 times with the motor running. (its loud as hell on the bottom)
I am guilty of both of these, so simple and yet I didnít think of it myself.

How far away to do keep a bubble watching boat? Unless you anchor you need to keep the engine running, right?
SeaSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:08 AM   #24
jfjf

I have seen the effects of engine noise on gags and it can be dramatic.

You are stalking a fish, trying to close the distance, the fish is clearly nervous with the situation and any additional distraction or noise will be send it running for cover. A jewfish thumping, some other fish darting away or the boat driver pops the engine in gear 100 feet above your head and the opportunity for the shot is lost.

It's a great discussion when you come up with an empty stringer and bitch to the captain that he caused you to not shoot a fish. They think you're crazy or joking, but I have had it happen several times.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #25
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I have seen the effects of engine noise on gags and it can be dramatic.

You are stalking a fish, trying to close the distance, the fish is clearly nervous with the situation and any additional distraction or noise will be send it running for cover. A jewfish thumping, some other fish darting away or the boat driver pops the engine in gear 100 feet above your head and the opportunity for the shot is lost.

It's a great discussion when you come up with an empty stringer and bitch to the captain that he caused you to not shoot a fish. They think you're crazy or joking, but I have had it happen several times.
Hatch doors and coolers slamming is another point of frustration as people on the boat settle in for a snack to endure the wait for my return. My wife is well schooled as my driver. She makes sure all the "rules" are followed and knows not to drop the boat into gear until she is 100+ yards away and makes sure she doesn't cross the spot on her return upwind.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #26
SeaSage

I don't think I have heard hatches or coolers slamming, but I am not as observant as a grouper when I am swim in their world.
I certainly have heard the boat passing overhead though.
I guess Boat Captain training is in order for the next trip out.
SeaSage is offline   Reply With Quote