Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #376
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Re: Alert to Deniers - February breaks global temperature records by 'shocking' amoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSub View Post
Have you guys in the US seen more frequent and stronger hurricanes and tornados, and if so why, if it has nothing to do with climate changing?

No. If anything, the opposite is true. It's been 9 years since a major (3-5)
Hurricane has hit the US.

I can't speak for tornados, but I haven't noticed any increase in them on the news either.

So we have 2 big hurricanes in a month. That wasn't uncommon in the past. So if anything, global warming is decreasing the number of major hurricanes in the Atlantic basin.

C
Old 09-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #377
mepps1

Re: Alert to Deniers - February breaks global temperature records by 'shocking' amoun

Quote:
Have you guys in the US seen more frequent and stronger hurricanes and tornados, and if so why, if it has nothing to do with climate changing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz View Post
You know you are right! My ass has been hurting way more that usual. Must be fuc#ing climate change! I fuc#ing love science.
Quote:
Ahh... Always refreshing watching Mr. Fitz putting his intellect on display! Bravo Mr. Fitz, bravo!
Quote:
Well, I wasn't saying this or that, and I certainly wasn't saying "I told you so". I don't live in the states and asked a question out of curiosity to the people with first hand info. Derailed straight away, what a ****ing surprise.

Well.... I wasn't going to say anything. But now that Fitz brought up personal details..... My balls have been itchier.

But perhaps the point Fitz was making is that correlation is not causation. On top of that, there's no clear correlation. So..... Did you have some point in mind?
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:08 AM   #378
SubSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
Well.... I wasn't going to say anything. But now that Fitz brought up personal details..... My balls have been itchier.

But perhaps the point Fitz was making is that correlation is not causation. On top of that, there's no clear correlation. So..... Did you have some point in mind?

Not really a point, I don't live there and don't have first hand info. From my impression the hurricanes causing big problems have been appearing more frequent. Katrina, Sandy, Matthew, Harvey and Irma, all causing big problems. Maybe it is just the news that are more easily accessible nowadays?
SubSub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #379
Wayward Son
You're Screwing Up My Chi

katrina was 12 years ago. we were told that was proof that GW was making them stronger & more frequent.

then we had 12 years of relative calm with no hurricanes here. if GW was in fact driving them, why would we go so long without a one?

we've had cat 4 & cat 5 hurricanes before. we've had multiples in a single year before. this is, after all, the peak of hurricane season, the time of year that the coast of africa spits them out like a pinball machine.

http://www.thefra.org

If god turns out to be a lobster, I am so royally screwed...
Wayward Son is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #380
mepps1

Quote:
Not really a point, I don't live there and don't have first hand info. From my impression the hurricanes causing big problems have been appearing more frequent. Katrina, Sandy, Matthew, Harvey and Irma, all causing big problems. Maybe it is just the news that are more easily accessible nowadays?
As usual, it depends upon whose charts you want to look at. Data can be snipped and parsed in multiple different formats to support whichever conclusion you favor.

It's either this; http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastdec.shtml (Effectively no change or decreasing)

Or this; https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/historical...storm-records/ (Perhaps. Maybe. Inconclusive)

We're all gonna die. Or probably not. http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...htmlstory.html

No correlation. But it could happen; http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...torms-graphic/

Overall, I'd say there is no evidence linking CO2 and hurricanes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	protecting us.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	235250  
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #381
Wayward Son

Old 09-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #382
Wayward Son

Old 09-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #383
Wayward Son

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-war...nd-hurricanes/

Old 10-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #384
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Climate change might be worse than thought after scientists find major mistake in water temperature readings

| The Independent
October 26, 2017

FROM THE ARTICLE

"The new research suggests that the oceans hundreds of millions of years ago were much cooler than we thought. If true, that means that the global warming we are currently undergoing is unparallelled within the last 100 million years, and far worse than we had previously calculated."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a8020696.html

SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #385
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Yep, apparently, according to the current propaganda, we'd be much better off if global cooling was happening. Palease...I'll take global warming over global cooling any day. BE AFRAID!

Quote:
In 2007, Alan Rusbridger, editor of The Guardian, said of The Independent: "The emphasis on views, not news, means that the reporting is rather thin, and it loses impact on the front page the more you do that".[43] In a 12 June 2007 speech, British Prime Minister Tony Blair called The Independent a "viewspaper", saying it "was started as an antidote to the idea of journalism as views not news. That was why it was called the Independent. Today it is avowedly a viewspaper not merely a newspaper".[44] The Independent criticised Blair's comments the following day[45][46] but later changed format to include a "Viewspaper" insert in the centre of the regular newspaper, designed to feature most of the opinion columns and arts reviews.

A leader published on the day of the 2008 London Mayoral election compared the candidates and said that, if the newspaper had a vote, it would vote first for the Green Party candidate, Sian Berry, noting the similarity between her priorities and those of The Independent, and secondly, with "rather heavy heart", for the incumbent, Ken Livingstone.[47]

An Ipsos MORI poll estimated that in the 2010 general election, 44% of regular readers voted Liberal Democrat, 32% voted Labour,[48] and 14% voted Conservative, compared to 23%, 29%, and 36%, respectively, of the overall electorate.[49] On the eve of the 2010 general election, The Independent supported the Liberal Democrats, arguing that "they are longstanding and convincing champions of civil liberties, sound economics, international co-operation on the great global challenges and, of course, fundamental electoral reform. These are all principles that this newspaper has long held dear. That is why we argue that there is a strong case for progressively minded voters to lend their support to the Liberal Democrats wherever there is a clear opportunity for that party to win".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Independent