Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #16
OBLIGATED

Re: Hurricane Irma

Buddy of mine in Miami just called to check in.No power but he has fuel,generator,lots of food and ammo.Place is covered with debris and sparking power lines and standing water.Miami got off easy considering what this storm could have done.
Im still waiting on some friends in Naples,Ft Lauderdale and Stuart to check in
Buddy just sold his half of a 45'center cockpit sailboat to his ex.Probably in her house now!Karma may be real.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #17
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Irma's Last-Minute Westward Shift May Have Saved Florida $150 Billion In Damages

I, for one, feel very fortunate. It could have been MUCH worse. I was expecting the worse but came home to power, electric, and a few downed limbs. South St. Pete REALLY escaped destruction as it is all low lying area of which a storm surge would've inundated MANY homes. The storm surge forecast is what made me leave my house boarded up. I was VERY surprised that I had power upon returning. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Last edited by Marcus; 09-12-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #18
OBLIGATED

Buddy in Naples said his house looked like it was pressure washed and the big Royal Palm blew down AWAY from his house
We lost power last night so I had to hook up the generator to the RV for my caffiene fix.Good to run stuff every now and then to make sure it works when you REALLY need it.BIL pulled his generator out and wouldnt start.They need to be ran with a load and store either dry or with fuel stabilizer.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #19
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
B.BIL pulled his generator out and wouldnt start.They need to be ran with a load and store either dry or with fuel stabilizer.
Don't forget to always fill your cans and small engines with non-ethanol fuel. Corngas rots more quickly and causes nasty corrosion.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #20
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps1 View Post
Don't forget to always fill your cans and small engines with non-ethanol fuel. Corngas rots more quickly and causes nasty corrosion.
Im fortunate to have several gas stations that sell ethanol free fuel.Car gets the crap but it never gets the chance to separate.It will ruin your small engines and also eats fuel lines.
Brother had a aluminum tank eat through on his Grady.He smelled fuel while mowing and found he lost forty gallons of gas from an ate out tank!Imagine if he didnt have the Perko switch off and the auto bilge kicked in with a little spark!
Old 09-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #21
Marcus

Yea, roger that. The filling station a couple blocks from my house started selling "recreational" fuel about a year ago.
I've had to repair many of older boat engines due to that methanol crap.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #22
Marcus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_YiwZt_Vv8
Old 09-16-2017, 01:49 AM   #23
Marcus

Irma's Aftermath: "For The First Time In 300 Years, There's Not A Single Living Person On Barbuda"
Old 09-16-2017, 05:03 AM   #24
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Crap, I am still without power... only had about 15 inches of water....tired of tearing out sheet rock and insulation. Twice in one year sux..........luckily after Mathew, I raised all my electrical outlets to 4 feet.....so at least I don't have to rewire again........
Tired of listening to generators......
Old 09-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #25
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplipper View Post
Crap, I am still without power... only had about 15 inches of water....tired of tearing out sheet rock and insulation. Twice in one year sux..........luckily after Mathew, I raised all my electrical outlets to 4 feet.....so at least I don't have to rewire again........
Tired of listening to generators......

Seems like it might be time to rebuild in concrete and stucco.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #26
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Seems like it might be time to rebuild in concrete and stucco.
A lot of homes in Floridah are block and stucco.Problem is most of the state is not very high above sea level so they get flooding.
Before we moved to the mountains I offered the wife a choice of a two story home built on an elevated pad with poured concrete walls and roof to weather storms worry free east of Naples.She chose the log house in the mountains and looking back it was the right move.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #27
mepps1

On the Swath of Destruction.....

http://takimag.com/article/the_hurri...#axzz4seR1EcKn
Old 09-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #28
Marcus

t
Quote:
Yea, you really have to take things in stride You have to understand that the MSM hypes everything. I waited to the last minute to board up as it was a possibility that it could've gone West of me and caused some serious damage...including storm surge at my residence which I don't mess around with. I can take the wind but....
It took a jog East of us about a 100 miles South. I wish I didn't have to board up my windows BUT you never know. I made the right decision. I still haven't removed the boards and won't until these new threats go away. Right now, Tropical depression Maria is headed right towards us. Screw it. It was enough work putting up those boards. I'm getting my money's worth. My neighbor has the same idea so at least I'm not the turd in the punch bowl.

Last edited by Marcus; 09-17-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #29
Marcus

Government Regulation, Crony Capitalism Is Keeping 1000s In Florida Without Power
Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #30
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Maybe off topic, but relevant to hurricanes and power outages, etc. After Irma, I was happy, but also disappointed that I could only get 1 TV channel (ABC) on HD antenna. Just ran across a website http://www.tvfool.com/ that you can check to see what channels you can expect to receive depending on your location and antenna setup (we probably got 2 dozen channels on the same setup at my son's house in St. Cloud).

I thought it was interesting ...

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.

The Pope flies to Greece to tell Christians to love Muslims, why doesn't he fly to Iraq and tell Muslims to love Christians?
Gary H is online now   Reply With Quote