Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
Bill McIntyre

Re: US closes embassy in Damascus, pulls American diplomats out of Syria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetro View Post
It's Shah not Shaw.
Thanks. That's three points for you.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
I don't see the US saving Israel, nor do I see the US involved in military action against the dictatorship in Syria. All I see is the US closing it's embassy in a nation that is about to break out into civil war
Want to bet on it?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
I don't see the US saving Israel, nor do I see the US involved in military action against the dictatorship in Syria. All I see is the US closing it's embassy in a nation that is about to break out into civil war
Oh my. That is way too simple. There has to be some sinister motive other than preventing harm to our sheepie diplomats.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
jackpine savage
Kill your food

As of 1:33 pm EST there has been no US involvement in Syria. The country I'd falling apart because the Assad clan has run the country as a brutal dictatorship for over 40 years. Also they are Alawites, which is a sect that represent less than 10% of the population but runs the military, security apparatus and the economic sector to the exclusion of the other 90% of the population. The uprising was created by this anger. You comment on a lot of things you know nothing about yet you come off as so damn smug that there is a US driven conspiracy behind it. Did you realize that this regime murdered 40,000 of it's own citizens in the 80's to prove a point to the rest of it's populace. This civil war about to erupt has been in the making for decades.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
Marcus

Wesley Clark ( US 4 Star General ) US will attack 7 countries in 5 years. - YouTube
So, do you want to bet on it or not?? Stop flip flapping your jaws and answer.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
Bill McIntyre

I think Marcus is having a nervous breakdown over Ron Paul not believing in his conspiracy theories.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
jackpine savage
Kill your food

So Clark thinks one thing. Has it happened? Are troops involved? If they intervene then that's a different story but they haven't yet.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #23
Marcus

Quote:
So Clark thinks one thing. Has it happened? Are troops involved? If they intervene then that's a different story but they haven't yet.
So how many of the 7 countries have we attacked? How many are left? How many is the propaganda machine currently making noise about?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Marcus

Quote:
Obama administration moves to aid Syrian opposition

"The Obama administration is moving to provide direct assistance to the internal opposition in Syria for the first time, marking a shift in U.S. policy toward a more aggressive plan to help oust President Bashar al-Assad. "

McCain: U.S. should bomb Syria
Old 03-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Obama administration moves to aid Syrian opposition

"The Obama administration is moving to provide direct assistance to the internal opposition in Syria for the first time, marking a shift in U.S. policy toward a more aggressive plan to help oust President Bashar al-Assad. "

McCain: U.S. should bomb Syria
Dumb ass move if they start getting involved. Even with arms the opposition doesn't have the numbers to take out the Syrian army. Of course if we flew combat missions pin their support then they may. The real problem is the administration doesn't know who all these different groups are, they could end up supporting someone worse.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
Aaron Proffitt+

I told somebody in January, while we were out at Pendleton, that I believe we will somehow be involved with Syria by Memorial Day. I'm thinking now I wished I had put money on it.
Aaron Proffitt+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #27
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt+ View Post
I told somebody in January, while we were out at Pendleton, that I believe we will somehow be involved with Syria by Memorial Day. I'm thinking now I wished I had put money on it.
Special Forces of a number of nations have been there for a while for purposes of training the opposition and for reconnaissance. Stratfor emails, again;

LEAKED STRATFOR EMAILS: Source Says Several Countries Already Have Forces In Syria

Michael Kelley | 4 hours ago | 2,695 | 14
  • A A A
  • inShare8

US Navy
Stratfor emails refer to several informants inside Turkey.
Special Operations Forces from numerous countries were on the ground in Syria as of December and the island of Cyprus would be the main base for an air strike against Bashar Assad's Syrian regime, according to internal Stratfor emails leaked by WikiLeaks. An email dated Dec. 7 of last year recaps meetings attended by an analyst that day.
The analyst writes that he spent most of the afternoon at the Pentagon with the U.S. Air Force strategic studies group— "guys who spend their time trying to understand and explain to the USAF chief the big picture in areas where they're operating in"— that consisted of four men at the Lieutenant Colonel level, including one French and one British representative.
"After a couple hours of talking, they said without saying that SOF teams (presumably from US, UK, France, Jordan, Turkey) are already on the ground focused on recce [i.e. reconnaissance] missions and training opposition forces... They have been told to prepare contingencies and be ready to act within 2-3 months, but they still stress that this is all being done as contingency planning, not as a move toward escalation."
They then discuss the option of an air campaign in Syria and what its objectives would be, saying the situation "makes Libya look like a piece of cake" because of the geography and Syria's robust air defenses.
"The main base they would use is Cyprus, hands down. Brits and French would fly out of there. They kept stressing how much is stored at Cyprus and how much recce comes out of there... There still seems to be a lot of confusion over what a military intervention involving an air campaign would be designed to achieve."
As more emails are published, the potential credibility of Stratfor's network of informants becomes clearer. Reports with information attributed to a source often come with a name, description, source reliability rating, item credibility rating, special handling and a handler.
One email report (sent on Dec. 10) describes its source as "Former NSC official in Turkey, adviser to Erdogan" and provides detailed information about Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's operation for colon cancer as well as Turkey's plan to create conditions for civil war in Syria (by deploying Special Operation Forces).
Another from the same day cites a Reuters correspondent of Syrian-Jordanian heritage when passing along information about Syrian President Bashar Assad's mother being "disappointed in Bashar and [his brother] Maher for the mess that they have created."
Stratfor provides confidential intelligence services to large corporationsand government agencies, including the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. Marines and the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency.
WikiLeaks has published 712 out of what they say is a cache of 5 million internal Stratfor emails dated between July 2004 and December 2011 obtained by the hacker collective Anonymous around Christmas.

Please follow Military & Defense on Twitter and Facebook.
Follow Michael Kelley on Twitter.
Ask Michael A Question >
Tags: Military, Defense | Get Alerts for these topics »

mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #28
Bill McIntyre

On the Syria subject, please note that, just like on Iran, its Republicans calling for bombing, while Obama is not.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...ptions-030612/

Quote:
McCain said he is growing angry over the argument that the U.S. and others want to figure out who the Syrian opposition is before providing greater aid to them. A lot of people will die before that happens, he said.

The Obama administration and other international leaders have opposed military intervention in Syria, and instead have pushed instead for increased sanctions.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #29
jackpine savage
Kill your food

I definitely could see Turkey and Jordan involved and I wouldn't be surprised if Israel was involved some how. A lot of countries want to payback the Assad regime for years of Syrian sponsored trouble.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #30
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
On the Syria subject, please note that, just like on Iran, its Republicans calling for bombing, while Obama is not.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...ptions-030612/
Are you serious??? Who's driving that car?