Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #61
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: US closes embassy in Damascus, pulls American diplomats out of Syria

You would think the MSM would be salivating over such a story.

Escalation: Syria Says Turkish Jet Shot Down Was Over Syrian Territorial Waters

The "Syrianna" story from this afternoon, which many were quick to label as merely a lot of diplomatic hot air and rhetoric, just turned uglier, after Syria not only did not officially apologize as Turkey PM Erdogan implied had happened previously for the shot down Turkish F-4 fighter jet, but instead turned the tables on Turkey, and gave itself an out for what is now a definitive military action. From Reuters:

The Syrian military said it shot down a Turkish military aircraft "over Syrian territorial waters" on Friday.

"Our air defences confronted a target that penetrated our air space over our territorial waters pre-afternoon on Friday and shot it down. It turned out to be a Turkish military plane," a statement by the military circulated on state media said.

The only question remains whether Syria's act was offensive or defensive. Naturally, its version is one of self-defense. Turkey obviously will claim it was in its right to be wherever the plane may be, and will say this was an act of provocation. Then NATO, read Hillary Clinton, will promptly step in, and make this a case in which Turkey was in its right and that Syria committed an act of aggression. From there, things will just escalate, and can potentially deteriorate to a far more troubling scale, because as we reminded earlier, Syria has recently become a major symbol for NATO vs the Russia-China axis..."
Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #62
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You would think the MSM would be salivating over such a story.
The New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/wo...ambush.html?hp

The Wall Street Journal.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

The Los Angeles Times.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7796533.story

It just happened and its on their web sites, Tomorrow it will be in the paper editions. You're always bitching about the MSM coverage, but you have no idea what it is since you don't read anything but your fringe sources.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #63
Kirk Killebrew

Bill, out of the cockpit, what is your take on a probing mission into sovereign airspace ? Was the pilot sent on a suicide mission ? Is this modern day political brinkmanship ? Or, did Syria just happen to find a target with the right trajectory to make a scene?

What's your honest opinion ? And yes, I realize your actual name is posted here and some unsavory people may misconstrue your words as dissent. However, your eyes view of this scenario is warranted and appreciated.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #64
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Killebrew View Post
Bill, out of the cockpit, what is your take on a probing mission into sovereign airspace ? Was the pilot sent on a suicide mission ? Is this modern day political brinkmanship ? Or, did Syria just happen to find a target with the right trajectory to make a scene?

What's your honest opinion ? And yes, I realize your actual name is posted here and some unsavory people may misconstrue your words as dissent. However, your eyes view of this scenario is warranted and appreciated.
I don't think the fact that I was a pilot gives me any special insight into this incident. The pilot could have been lost and made a wrong turn, could have been following orders for a reason unknown, etc. And why was Syria so quick to shoot? Did it really want to provoke Turkey or retaliate for support of dissidents, or did a low level officer make a snap decision?

I just don't know.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #65
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
The New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/wo...ambush.html?hp

The Wall Street Journal.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

The Los Angeles Times.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7796533.story

It just happened and its on their web sites, Tomorrow it will be in the paper editions. You're always bitching about the MSM coverage, but you have no idea what it is since you don't read anything but your fringe sources.

Do you read the World sections of these newspapers everyday? Do you think the average American would? Don't you think the American citizens should be more informed about what our gov't is up to given the gravity of this situation? Don't you think that this news should be on the front page of the American National section???? Don't you think it should get better coverage like being reported on the nightly news??

You wouldn't even know about this if it wasn't for my 'fringe' sources. You had to go do a search for the actual story in those papers in order to find it.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #66
Marcus

Ron Paul's statement Introducing HR 5993 The Syria Non-Intervention Act of 2012

"Mr. Speaker: The Administration is marching toward another war in the Middle East, this time against Syria. As with the president's war against Libya, Congress has been frozen out of the process. The Constitution, which grants Congress and only Congress the authority to declare war, is once again being completely ignored.

The push for a US attack on Syria makes no sense, is not in our interest, and will likely make matters worse. Yet the Administration, after transferring equipment to the Syrian rebels and facilitating the shipment of weapons from Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States, has indicated that its plans for an actual invasion are complete.

This week there are even press reports that the Central Intelligence Agency is distributing assault rifles, anti-tank rocket launchers, and other ammunition to the Syrian opposition. These are acts of war by the United States government. But where is the authority for the president to commit acts of war against Syria? There is no authority. The president is acting on his own.

Today we are introducing legislation to prevent the administration from accelerating its plan to overthrow the Syrian government by assisting rebel forces that even the administration admits include violent Islamic extremists.

The bill is simple. It states that absent a Congressional declaration of war on Syria:

"No funds available to the Department of Defense or an element of the intelligence community may be obligated or expended for the purpose or which would have the effect of supporting, directly or indirectly, military or paramilitary operations in Syria by any nation, group, organization, movement, or individual."

This legislation is modeled after the famous Boland Amendments of the early 1980s that were designed to limit the president's assistance to the Contras in their attempt to overthrow the government of Nicaragua. Congress has an obligation to exercise oversight of the president's foreign policy actions and to protect its constitutional prerogatives. This legislation will achieve both important functions.

Mr. Speaker, the last thing this country needs is yet another war particularly in the Middle East. Even worse is the president once again ignoring the Legislative Branch and going to war on his own. I hope my colleagues will join me in standing up for our Constitutional authority and resisting what will be another disastrous war in the Middle East."
Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #67
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Do you read the World sections of these newspapers everyday? Do you think the average American would? Don't you think the American citizens should be more informed about what our gov't is up to given the gravity of this situation? Don't you think that this news should be on the front page of the American National section???? Don't you think it should get better coverage like being reported on the nightly news??

You wouldn't even know about this if it wasn't for my 'fringe' sources. You had to go do a search for the actual story in those papers in order to find it.
You're just being silly now. I subscribe to breaking news emails from the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, and I had learned about that way long before your post.

But if I hadn't, then when I brought in the papers before leaving early this morning to go diving, I did notice this article on the front page of the WSJ.

There really is news outside of zerohedge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wsj.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	174096  
Old 06-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #68
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
You're just being silly now. I subscribe to breaking news emails from the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, and I had learned about that way long before your post.

But if I hadn't, then when I brought in the papers before leaving early this morning to go diving, I did notice this article on the front page of the WSJ.

There really is news outside of zerohedge.
Touche'

Still doesn't make my sources 'fringe' though.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #69
Bill McIntyre

Latest from the MSM.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/wo...ported.html?hp
Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #70
Marcus

Turkey Claims Syria Fired On Second Turkish Jet, Says "Act Won't Go Unpunished", Has Invoked NATO Articles 4 And 5

"At this point even those who have never heard of the Gulf of Tonkin know where this is headed:

SYRIAN ACT 'WON'T GO UNPUNISHED,' TURKEY'S ARINC SAYS
SYRIAN ACT 'HOSTILE,' 'COLD-BLOODED,' ARINC SAYS
SYRIA SHOT DOWN TURKISH JET WITHOUT WARNING, NULAND SAYS
TURKEY INVOKED ARTICLES 4 & 5 FOR NATO MEETING, ARINC SAYS
TURKEY TO PROCEED AGAINST SYRIA USING LEGAL RIGHTS, ARINC SAYS
TURKISH JET SHOT DOWN IN INTERNATIONAL AIRSPACE, ARINC SAYS
..."
Old 06-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #71
Marcus

Ron Paul Floor Speech on Syria June 27, 2012
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #72
HARVESTER

Quote:
Ron Paul Floor Speech on Syria June 27, 2012
http://youtu.be/CvA_sQHqIzE
The man tells it like it is. Ron Paul inspires with TRUTH!

And spearboard yappers bark and nip at the guy who supports Ron Paul (then they "hope" for "change" and move "forward" towards their hole in the sand).
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #73
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Quote:
Turkey Claims Syria Fired On Second Turkish Jet, Says "Act Won't Go Unpunished", Has Invoked NATO Articles 4 And 5

"At this point even those who have never heard of the Gulf of Tonkin know where this is headed:

SYRIAN ACT 'WON'T GO UNPUNISHED,' TURKEY'S ARINC SAYS
SYRIAN ACT 'HOSTILE,' 'COLD-BLOODED,' ARINC SAYS
SYRIA SHOT DOWN TURKISH JET WITHOUT WARNING, NULAND SAYS
TURKEY INVOKED ARTICLES 4 & 5 FOR NATO MEETING, ARINC SAYS
TURKEY TO PROCEED AGAINST SYRIA USING LEGAL RIGHTS, ARINC SAYS
TURKISH JET SHOT DOWN IN INTERNATIONAL AIRSPACE, ARINC SAYS
..."

Where exactly was the news here? After reading that page and all of the comments on page 1, I am at least ten percent dumber than when I woke up this morning; however, I feel at least 20% better about my intelligence relative to those posting on that site...go figure...I'll take that as a net gain. Happy day!
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #74
Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedhead View Post
Where exactly was the news here? After reading that page and all of the comments on page 1, I am at least ten percent dumber than when I woke up this morning; however, I feel at least 20% better about my intelligence relative to those posting on that site...go figure...I'll take that as a net gain. Happy day!
Huh? I know not what you speak of. The article lists the sources....or are you saying that there is no valuable news content there? You saying that the words coming out of Turkey's speaker of the House isn't relevant?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #75
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Quote:
Huh? I know not what you speak of. The article lists the sources....or are you saying that there is no valuable news content there? You saying that the words coming out of Turkey's speaker of the House isn't relevant?
I didn't see sources...just saw a list of paraphrases attributed to Arinc with no source, and a bunch of mindless drivel in the comments section.

Regardless...seems like both Syria and Turkey effed up. Not sure about the MSM, but I get most of my news from the BBC and it has been all over the news there. I'm definitely not seeing some grand cover up or conspiracy though.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote