Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science

Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science Discuss invasive exotic species such as lionfish, carp, snakehead, etc. including news, spearfishing and scientific research in any geographical region.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Aquatic Argobul
Registered User
 
Aquatic Argobul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 67
Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

Just noticed the new section. The lionfish population in Pensacola, Florida seems to have exploded in the last 12 months. Anecdotally, I have personally witnessed the lionfish population go from a 10% chance of sighting one to about a 90% chance of sighting in the last year or so. Here's a re-post from the Upper Gulfcoast section.

Footage from 1-6-12. Killed 8 lionfish on this small piece of scrap metal in 100 feet of water out of the Pensacola pass. I think we killed 13 on the day and were able to catch one live for the UWF biology department. We had to cut them to get them off of the spear and slowly the red snapper turned their sights on the dead lionfish. Sorry the video isn't the best quality, the wide angle of the gopro means you have to get really close to your subjects without scaring them away. It really helps to watch it in 720p.

Red snapper eating lionfish in Pensacola, FL - YouTube

Last edited by SpearMax; 02-07-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Embed player
Aquatic Argobul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
kendo
Registered User
 
kendo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 41
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but do you guys eat them? I saw a link to this video after watching yours and it made me wonder. A win win if they good eating and you end up helping out the native species.

Lionfish - If you Can't Beat 'em, Then Eat 'em! - YouTube
__________________
"If we saved every whale that ever lived, there would be no room for boats" - Joe Rogan

Last edited by SpearMax; 02-07-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Embed player
kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
SpearMax
Forum Administrator
 
SpearMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 16,094
Lightbulb Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

Ah, sure - that scientist in the Guy Harvey video says at the end that we humans are the main predator against lionfish. While that may be true and I am very supportive of the idea of us humans killing them, and eating them if we wish.

I am very skeptical that we can really stem this tide of the lionfish invasion. We may be able to help specific areas we dive, but the ocean is a humongus place and these lionfish are breeding rapidly everywhere it seems.

Look at them all around the base of our latest find in my backyard at 185 feet - the Jupiter Helldiver airplane. Guess what? They are at hundreds of feet deeper as well.

One of my scientists friends says in the Pacific they are kept in check at their infantile stages. I sure hope something like that happens here as well.

Dr. Craig Layman has put together some great stuff about lionfish here:

http://absci.fiu.edu/?cat=46


.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jupiter-Helldiver-Airplane-Wreck-Engine-1.jpg
Views:	2408
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	167593  
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
kendo
Registered User
 
kendo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 41
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

I agree that spearo's are not going to solve the problem since we're too few and there's too many of them but I was curious at how they taste. If you're going to have an invasive species collapse your fishery then take as many as you can for the table.
__________________
"If we saved every whale that ever lived, there would be no room for boats" - Joe Rogan
kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Aquatic Argobul
Registered User
 
Aquatic Argobul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 67
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

I haven't kept any in Florida, but during a trip to the bahamas, we ate about 10 of them. Had them fried and grilled. They were tasty, took to the seasoning really well. They are very mild, almost like tilapia but softer flesh.
Aquatic Argobul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
GoproTheron
Registered User
 
GoproTheron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bahamas
Posts: 21
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

Down here in the Bahamas it's getting really bad, i can go to a single reef and kill -15-20.. these things are deep to! friend of mine caught a monster one on deep drop line in 700' of water.
__________________
You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
—Wayne Gretzky

GoproTheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Aquatic Argobul
Registered User
 
Aquatic Argobul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 67
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

700 feet!?! I guess that is bad news if humans are going to be the only natural predator of lionfish
Aquatic Argobul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
hogphish
Registered User
 
hogphish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stuart
Posts: 485
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

lionfish are great eating...plus you can flash the dorsal spines in the microwave and use them as serving toothpicks. Adds a nice touch lets your gourmet buddies feel like they are adventurous.
hogphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
GoproTheron
Registered User
 
GoproTheron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bahamas
Posts: 21
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

ill have to try that one!
__________________
You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
—Wayne Gretzky

GoproTheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
kmoose
Team Headhunter
 
kmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Slowcala, FL
Age: 52
Posts: 3,896
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

I've seen AJs eat them like popcorn off NC. We also saw several while gutting shot AJs as well. I'm sure other fish will eat them as well. There here for good, get used to it and don't get stung.
__________________
The Moose is Loose !
"SUPER SPORTY"
kmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
SC00BAD1V3R
Registered User
 
SC00BAD1V3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 370
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

nice video
SC00BAD1V3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
laguna80
El Capitan
 
laguna80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: D.C.
Age: 34
Posts: 1,450
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogphish View Post
lionfish are great eating...plus you can flash the dorsal spines in the microwave and use them as serving toothpicks. Adds a nice touch lets your gourmet buddies feel like they are adventurous.
Can you really do that? Pretty cool idea for a pupu party.
laguna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
ny_er
Registered User
 
ny_er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Key West
Posts: 2,731
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

I found a small lion fish inside a mutton last week, so we are not there only predators
__________________
ny_er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Keysdivers
keysdivers
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Marathon,Florida Keys
Posts: 811
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

Tried to feed them to Jewfish over the weekend. No takers.
Keysdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
Capt Crunch
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SW Ranches, Big Pine Key, FL
Posts: 1
Re: Red Snapper Eating Lionfish

Found lionfish inside Morey last week. So it seems our native Reef dwellers are adapting.
Capt Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com