Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Question New Experimental Forum on Spearboard

I have decided to set up a new experimental forum on Spearboard. There has been some very good recent debate on the merits and problems of having a special place for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects. I would like to try this idea out and see how it works. We can always merge back the threads and delete the new forum if it does not work.

Basically, the way it would work is if the subject is political or religious in your opinion, please start the thread in this forum. There would be no changes to the way new posts show up on the new posts section at the top of the board. I will move some active threads from the recent past here now to kick this off and see what happens. I personally have no issues with political or religious debate and like to see it happen, but I know some members would like to see it in a separate forum. We may decide this does not really change anything or matter, but I am willing to try it out. Please bear with this experiment.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996

Last edited by SpearMax; 11-10-2006 at 11:18 PM.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
ObieWan2bWet
Stupid should hurt

Re: New Experimental Forum on Spearboard

Tony I think it is an awsome idea. If we have had a few, feel spunky and want to get our blood up lookin' for a fight for right... we can hit it entirely in seclusion... I like the fact that now this way 'Off Topic' can be the happy place for happy drunks without wading through the unsolvable viscous circle of... well politics and religion...

A HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE WILL REMAIN IN PLACE,
EAST WINDS 5 KNOTS. SEAS 1 FOOT.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS SMOOTH.
ObieWan2bWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
Bill McIntyre

If this change will help people avoid religion and politics, I sure have no objection. But I bet the same people who couldn't resist clicking on a thread with an obvious religious or political title in Off Topic won't be able to resist sneaking a peek here either.

But that is up to them. I'm curious. A lot of people don't use the New Posts button to enter Spearboard, so they might never see this notice or this forum.

When the inevitable happens and someone mentions politics or religion in the Off Topic Forum, what happens? Will the thread be deleted by a moderator, moved to this forum, or what?
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre
When the inevitable happens and someone mentions politics or religion in the Off Topic Forum, what happens? Will the thread be deleted by a moderator, moved to this forum, or what?
I'm guessing if the main purpose of the thread is religion/politics it should be posted in that forum. Just like anything else, if it's in the wrong place it will be moved.

We have never deleted a thread because it was posted in the wrong forum.
richhermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
WreckDiver
Memeber What?

And for those of us that like to see new post but dont want to see the new political thread because we are weak and have to look and open our mouths. USE THIS

http://www.spearboard.com/forum/sear...ly&exclude=120 right click and select COPY SHORTCUT.

works good to remove the California section too just add ,8 to the end of it. works best to set it as your home page.

Viola no more political thread.
WreckDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Wink Re: New Experimental Forum on Spearboard

Quote:
If this change will help people avoid religion and politics, I sure have no objection. But I bet the same people who couldn't resist clicking on a thread with an obvious religious or political title in Off Topic won't be able to resist sneaking a peek here either.

But that is up to them. I'm curious. A lot of people don't use the New Posts button to enter Spearboard, so they might never see this notice or this forum.

Bill, I think you are right. There will probably be as much traffic in the Politics/Religion forum as before because it is kind of like driving by a car crash. Humans always want to look.

I am not sure how the entry approach breakdown really is. The more seasoned users probably use new posts more than specific forums. I use both approaches, but new posts much more often.

Concerning moving threads, as Rich says it will be a judgement call as always. If a thread is about pineapples used in a fish recipe and a bunch of people start pontificating on the spiritual powers of pineapples, a moderator might want to move it to the new forum.

Thanks for the questions, Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

Pineapples have spiritual powers?
Old 11-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by richhermes
Pineapples have spiritual powers?
No, but I've got some very spiritual mushrooms. I'll try to stick to this forum when I'm consuming them.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
richhermes
Nappy Headed Ho

Quote:
No, but I've got some very spiritual mushrooms. I'll try to stick to this forum when I'm consuming them.
That explains a lot!
Old 11-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
Gradyman
Man on a Mission...

I remember those enlighted days in the fields with the mushroom gods. Took a trip and never left the farm!

Thanks Tony for the new "place to go"...I think it's a great idea.

If you lose your wealth you've lost nothing, if you lose your health you've lost something, if you lose your integrity you've lost everything.

When there is nothing left but God,you find out that God is all you need.

Our thoughts become words...words become actions...actions become habits...habits become character and it becomes our destiny.
Gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:15 AM   #11
bgbill

Tony,

I think this new area is a great idea Roland has figured out a way to avoid certain sections of the Forum when using a search function, that way people wouldn't even see the new posts.
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
Bill McIntyre

It sure is working well so far.

I really like the way Gradyman put up his weekly devotional thread, saying that he wasn't trying to argue with anyone or convert anyone. I've read through it out of curiosity, and while it may not fit my beliefs, it is frankly not pointed at me, so there is no need to respond. It set up a perfect atmosphere for those with similar beliefs to communicate with each other.

Other religious threads have tried to save me, or even worse, people have injected efforts to save me into threads that were not specifically about religion, so in those cases I wanted to respond.

Hmmm?. It just occurred to me that Gradyman could have set up the same thread in the Off Topic and I could have made the same decisions about the necessity to respond, but maybe there is a certain extra distance with this new forum that makes it better.

However, I'm disappointed that Roland finds it necessary to filter out the California forum. I guess I can see how he might not like some of our politics, but its too bad that even our discussion of spearfishing is offensive.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #13
bgbill

Quote:
However, I'm disappointed that Roland finds it necessary to filter out the California forum. I guess I can see how he might not like some of our politics, but its too bad that even our discussion of spearfishing is offensive.
Bill,

Why should it matter if Roland or anyone else decides to filter out the California section or any other section?

It isn't like he is trying to keep anyone else from seeing the section, he chooses not to see it, isn't the "Right to choose" one of the basic democratic ideals?

I don't think he ever said the california section was offensive.
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #14
Bill McIntyre

Yes, it is absolutely his right to filter it out.

There are East Coast regional forums in which I sure don't read most of the posts, but I was never motivated to make sure I would never even see evidence of them in New Posts. I can choose to click or not click. I couldn't help being curious about the motivation.

But hell, I don't even know that he HAS filtered out the CA forum. I just inferred that from his post in which he showed the string to do it.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:14 AM   #15
zeN

Just popped in to say what a great idea this thread is, freedom of thought is the basis for American idealism and no other area requires a forum where freedom of expression must be guarded, kudos zeN
zeN is offline   Reply With Quote