Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Tournaments > CMAS World Freedive Spearfishing Championship

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #61
Bill McIntyre

Re: CMAS World Freedive Spearfishing Championships

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdiver View Post
I was talking about sbo.
OK.

In that case, if I went to the Bahamas and speared before the contest, I think I would delete my GPS log.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #62
Gamble
NATIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_HeaDHuNTeR View Post
All Im Saying Is That There Is No 100% Evidence That Him And His Team Cheated...they Did Not Put Him On The Lie Detector Machine Instead They Put Him On A Human Lie Detector...without A 100% Positive You Are Dirting His Name For No Reason...and I Know This For A Fact
Dude you need to resolve what ever your pissed at and get on with your life. His own buddies ratted him out on Tuesday BEFORE the SBO when he left the dock with his team and a second boat for the Bahamas. They did so because they where sick of him cheating every year.

The year before he posted pics of his "scouting" catch one or two days before the SBO and then had all his gear stolen before the tournament date. AMAZINGLY,,, he turned in the exact fish species within ounces of his "scouting" trip.

Look, he is an EXTREMELY talented shooter but obviously doesn't believe in his ability, so he cheats. I'm not saying he cheated in the worlds, but theirs NO question he cheated in past tournaments.
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #63
Adelito

Re: Change Of Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDie View Post

His success in this competition does nothing to refute the fact that he cheated in the Spearboard Open and got caught red-handed (finally ) In my opinion those actions should have warranted him being removed from the US Team and having his sponsors drop him. Maybe he should go represent Cuba next time instead of the US.
dumba$$
Adelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #64
Gamble
NATIVE

Please,,, last time I checked you had your head stuffed up his ass
Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #65
Adelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
Please,,, last time I checked you had your head stuffed up his ass
last time i checked, u need a lesson in respect. I bet you would not have that pair of loose lips if we where face to face..... there is alot of tuff guys on the net.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #66
Adelito

Regardless of what any of you think, especially those who have never even participated in a spearboard tournament, he placed 10. He didnt cheat in venezuela, this is conclusive, a guy got disqualified because strung a fish up on his belt to reload and shoot another fish, i think a more serious offense would have easy to catch. Fact is he is great, no matter what happens in any other tournament ever he is still the tenth best spearfishermen in the world in 2008. Spetton, miami, cuba, florida, bahamas, none of that matters........ because this one was in venezuela, and it wasnt for a trophy, or a prize, but PRIDE. Funny, alot of people say that they dont want him representing the US, but without him the US would have been the bottom of the barrel.PERIOD. It is unfortunate the he must contend such envy. i suggest alot of people do alot of growing up, and moving on. As a spearfisherman, and that is what we are all here for, we have alot to learn from him, and hopefully retain it for the next time around. I am thankful that this years team was mostly composed of cuban-refugees, cuban-americans, americans now none the less, who love this sport and this country so much that they have sacrificed enough to fund themselves a trip to put the US as high as they can among the rest of the world......... something all of us are not willing and able to do with the way things are of late...... so its great that all of you are excersing you rights to speak, instead of just excercising so maybe you could fish good too!!!!!

anyways regardless of what harolf did, or didnt do, there is a bunch of good young talent that will be representing the US, JUSTIN ALLEN, AND dan silva? i believe his name is dan silva.....

either way these to guys i have met personally, and i am impressed! with talent and class to spare these to guys need to be supported, they are our best chance at being the best country of spearos..... if you dont believe me ask anyone from MASS, or Cali.

-adelito
Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #67
PrimeTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDie View Post
I'm surprised that the US Team officials allow a cheater to be a member on the Team. I personally wouldn't want Harolf representing anything related to the United States.

Besides that unfortunate incident, great information on this thread and thank you for sharing it Mr. Edlund. Congratulations to the winners and the fortunate participants.

Two questions:

1. Why hasn't the US ever been considered as a valid venue for the Championships?

2. In order to even the playing field, has the option of only allowing a certain amount of time to scout prior to the 2 day event ever been considered?
I think I can put some light to your questions here FishDie.

In order for Harolf to be removed from the US team the other team members and captain would have to get together and vote him off the team. I know that this years team went through two team captains before settling on their third captain. One was a highly respected west coast freediver and former national champion and the other was a world record breath and depth holder for many years.

The US will never host a world championship because of what the CMAS rules want. The biggest rule that they allow and want that will never fly in the US is unlimited quanties on all species of fish. There is a reason that Bill Ernst has the record of 240 fish shot for two days of competetion and pretty much fair game on everything. If you look at the winning fish over the years of the worlds you will see a bunch of very small fish.

As for your last question. The world is a very political place dude.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #68
spaghetti

For the records: it's not the first time a US spearo ranks in the world top ten:
Lentz won the individual World Champ in 1959 (US team 3rd), Don Delmonico was 3rd in 1961 (US team 3rd), Keffler was 2nd in 1963, Bill Ernst was 2nd in 1971, 1981 and 1983.
As shown here: http://www.apneateam.it/Palmares%20M...0Subacquea.htm
spaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #69
spaghetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

The US will never host a world championship because of what the CMAS rules want. The biggest rule that they allow and want that will never fly in the US is unlimited quanties on all species of fish. There is a reason that Bill Ernst has the record of 240 fish shot for two days of competetion and pretty much fair game on everything.
Not to be argumentative in any way, but it's no more as it was during Bill Ernst's times: now there are actually strict bag limits per species and penalties if you exceed, as shown in rules below.
http://mundialpescasub2008cmas.files...al_english.pdf

Bag limits were introduced after the disaster of the Cuba Worlds (I don't remember the year): too many fish were caught, big scandal and protests by enviro's, many national federations urged the world CMAS assembly to ban spearfishing comps. Since then, bag limits were established (normally 10 fish for each group of species and maximum 2 groupers). Not to be the smartass, just to help clarify.
spaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #70
Gamble
NATIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelito View Post
last time i checked, u need a lesson in respect. I bet you would not have that pair of loose lips if we where face to face..... there is alot of tuff guys on the net.

You call it loose lips,, I call it facts and trust me I have no problem saying it to your face.

As I already stated, Harolf is known to be an extremely talented freediver and shooter,, it's sad but he's also known as a cheat. Every time he places well in a tourney all his peers will questions if he cheated...... again.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #71
PrimeTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti View Post
Not to be argumentative in any way, but it's no more as it was during Bill Ernst's times: now there are actually strict bag limits per species and penalties if you exceed, as shown in rules below.
http://mundialpescasub2008cmas.files...al_english.pdf

Bag limits were introduced after the disaster of the Cuba Worlds (I don't remember the year): too many fish were caught, big scandal and protests by enviro's, many national federations urged the world CMAS assembly to ban spearfishing comps. Since then, bag limits were established (normally 10 fish for each group of species and maximum 2 groupers). Not to be the smartass, just to help clarify.

No problem dude. I saw some requirements many years ago and was stunned at what they wanted from the hosting country. The first thing that stuck out was no bag limits on lots of fish. I'm glad that they changed it for the better.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #72
Gamble
NATIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelito View Post
Regardless of what any of you think, especially those who have never even participated in a spearboard tournament, he placed 10. He didnt cheat in venezuela, this is conclusive, a guy got disqualified because strung a fish up on his belt to reload and shoot another fish, i think a more serious offense would have easy to catch. Fact is he is great, no matter what happens in any other tournament ever he is still the tenth best spearfishermen in the world in 2008. Spetton, miami, cuba, florida, bahamas, none of that matters........ because this one was in venezuela, and it wasnt for a trophy, or a prize, but PRIDE. Funny, alot of people say that they dont want him representing the US, but without him the US would have been the bottom of the barrel.PERIOD. It is unfortunate the he must contend such envy. i suggest alot of people do alot of growing up, and moving on. As a spearfisherman, and that is what we are all here for, we have alot to learn from him, and hopefully retain it for the next time around. I am thankful that this years team was mostly composed of cuban-refugees, cuban-americans, americans now none the less, who love this sport and this country so much that they have sacrificed enough to fund themselves a trip to put the US as high as they can among the rest of the world......... something all of us are not willing and able to do with the way things are of late...... so its great that all of you are excersing you rights to speak, instead of just excercising so maybe you could fish good too!!!!!

anyways regardless of what harolf did, or didnt do, there is a bunch of good young talent that will be representing the US, JUSTIN ALLEN, AND dan silva? i believe his name is dan silva.....

either way these to guys i have met personally, and i am impressed! with talent and class to spare these to guys need to be supported, they are our best chance at being the best country of spearos..... if you dont believe me ask anyone from MASS, or Cali.

-adelito
But his team still got smoked by team Red Tide, G.R. Tarr, RZ and Sasa at states.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #73
bgbill

Quote:
But his team still got smoked by team Red Tide, G.R. Tarr, RZ and Sasa at states.
Thats because they didn't let him shoot in the bahamas before the tournament opened, if you guys weren't hatin' on the cubans like that, he would kick all of your asses.
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #74
Gamble
NATIVE

I'm Cuban... should I kick my own ass?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #75
bgbill

Quote: