Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #46
Jyxaw

Re: Nevada and Arizona visibility reports

Thanks for the information... I'm gonna start a new thread so this one doesn't get further off topic.

Jyxaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #47
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyxaw View Post
Thanks for the information... I'm gonna start a new thread so this one doesn't get further off topic.

Also make sure you shoot every carp you see they are really bad for the native fish.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #48
Jyxaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
Also make sure you shoot every carp you see they are really bad for the native fish.
I always do. Not only is it one less mouth for the river to feed, but it also returns all that biomass to the ecosystem.

I'm almost 100% sure I'll be camping/spearing Willow Beach Jan. 10-13 with a buddy of mine. I'm sure we'll slay a mighty pile of carp... I just hope to bring home some striper too. The meat on those fish is amazing.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #49
apexdiver
Tony

I didn't dive but i went h&l fishing at willow
and the river looks decent maybe 20 30ft of vis, and the current was really slow.

Last edited by apexdiver; 01-06-2013 at 02:08 AM.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #50
Jyxaw

Went diving at Willow Beach Jan 10-13. Camping was a little cold, but was totally fine once I got into my bag. The fish were pretty scarce... Saw a fair amount of carp and catfish. I missed shots on two nice 10-12 lb. striped bass . I didn't miss a single carp but choked on two of the fish I actually wanted.
Water temp was between 53-56 according to readings from two different dive computers. Current was mellow. Wind was mellow, but still made things a bit nippy.
We covered the general area around the marina and down river a mile or so. We were seeing more action the farther we went. The plan for the next trip is to float down farther and cover more ground.
I was sad to miss those shots, but with everything frozen solid here in SLC, UT... I was really happy to be in the water at all.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #51
Crusty Old Dive

Any of you fellas want to meet up in February (23rd-25th) to kill some fish. I'm coming from CT to Phoenix and plan to make a trip up north. PM me if you can point me in the right direction. Guided tour you say? Well, I buy lots of beer and will bring spearfishing shirts and hats and such for those of you who hook me up. As well, I will return the favor if you are ever on the east coast.
Crusty Old Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #52
FinsFurFeathers

Possibly the best day of the year to go to the lake is on super bowl day, and playoff schedules. This is when all the jock sniffers have their noses pressed against tv screens, and you will have the lake to your self as I did yesterday. Interesting day it was when I came across a school of rather large Gizzard Shad. They were about 12 inches, shaped like piranas, and metallic look to their scales, and at first glance would seem like Tilapia but minus the vertical stripes. They were very skittish, but could be played if you make the Carp comfortable around you, in which case the Shad become a little more inquisitive.
On a side note, apparently the new laws regarding the banning 2 stroke outboards is in affect. It may be of interest to some if considering the idea that there could be many boats for sale, but to the degree that boats flood the market making it a buyers market, I can only speculate. Attention out of staters.

I cought wind of some gossip that Speed is being manufactured around some areas of Mead. Witness reported to me seeing men with guns cooking speed.
FinsFurFeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #53
OutdoorCatholic
† Catholic Spearo †

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsFurFeathers View Post
I cought wind of some gossip that Speed is being manufactured around some areas of Mead. Witness reported to me seeing men with guns cooking speed.
Quit giving away our competitive advantage sources.
OutdoorCatholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #54
kelppaddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Dive View Post
Any of you fellas want to meet up in February (23rd-25th) to kill some fish. I'm coming from CT to Phoenix and plan to make a trip up north. PM me if you can point me in the right direction. Guided tour you say? Well, I buy lots of beer and will bring spearfishing shirts and hats and such for those of you who hook me up. As well, I will return the favor if you are ever on the east coast.
Where north are you referring to? North as in north PHX (lake pleasant) or north and is Nevada area. I would love to go out and get some east coast stripers with you.
kelppaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #55
Crusty Old Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelppaddie View Post
Where north are you referring to? North as in north PHX (lake pleasant) or north and is Nevada area. I would love to go out and get some east coast stripers with you.
Sweet! Thanks everyone for PM-ing me. I don't really care where in AZ... I just want to go to the best spot. I'll buy the beer, and grub, be the anchor bitch, whatever, I'll even wash your wetsuits.

P.S Sorry for Hijacking this thread.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #56
Crusty Old Dive

Ok So after some great advice I am heading to Willow Beach on Saturday 2/23 in the morning from Phx for a noon dive in the Colorado. Couple questions:

1. I'm no stranger to current as the waters I dive in New England have some of the worst. Is there a strong current at Willow Beach? Does the damn release at certain times? Is it best to walk upriver and jump in and ride down? How do you guys do it? Is there a kayak rental at Willow? Is it best to use a kayak there?

2. What can you kill? Carp and Striped Bass I know... anything else? Fishing license needed? If so does AZ offer a day pass?

3. I've eaten just about every fish that people call trash fish... anyone eat the carp there?

4. My biggest gun is a 55" (140cm) enclosed track Hatch mid-handle... which is as big a gun you need here in New England. Should I bring a bigger gun?

5. Is there a cheap hotel in the area you can recommend? I won't be bringing a tent and I thought it would be nice to stay over night. If there is a bar around and you want to join the wife and I for a drink... I got the first round.

Thanks in advance for the info.

John
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #57
Jyxaw

1. The current is really mellow, but enough to make a swim upstream take a little while. I highly recommend a kayak. Call the marina, you may be able to rent something. You get more action far enough downstream that a swim back would be a PAIN.
2. You can only shoot carp and striper. BE SURE THAT YOU DON"T SHOOT THE RAZORBACK SUCKERS. They are a native species and are protected. I attached a pic. You'll also see catfish and the wording on regulations are confusing so we don't shoot em to be on the safe side. Maybe talk to one of the rangers down there and find out for sure.
3. I've not eaten the carp, but would be interested to hear what you think.
4. I rock a RA 140 and it works great for the area. I used a 110 and felt that my range was short.
5. You're 20 mins or so away from the town to the north... that would be the closest place for lodging. But if you do tent at Willow... they have hot showers that are epic for suiting up in the morning

JP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RZBS.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	184606  

Last edited by Jyxaw; 01-31-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #58
Paul Benson
Mi nombre es Ben

How do licenses work for mead and willow beach?
Paul Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #59
FinsFurFeathers

For Nevada license, you will need a river stamp because the river is the state line in that area.. Not sure how that reciprocates in Az..
FinsFurFeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #60
Jyxaw

The staff at the marina in Willow Beach will get you what you need as far as stamps. I think the prices for licenses go like this...

$17/1 day
$32/5 days
$39/4 month