Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #46
mikeme

Re: Wahoo on the GATKU Pole off SoCal

Why do you think most seasoned and nice spearos left this board.
mikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #47
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Maybe not in Florida but they sure as hell do in the Pacific.
Ill have to try it when I go to mag bay in november.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #48
Npfreediver

Hahaha such a nice video!!!
Npfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #49
reefstalker
Husband, Father, Spearo

What a blessing to be in cali and see such a rare fish, let alone get shots on it. Grats for sharing such a beautiful experience. All these haters just dont get the experience. I would die to see one in cen cali let alone a *chance* to shoot one. Besides its the ones that get away that keep bring me back to the water, we learn more from failure then success
reefstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #50
Seeco

some if us have very little free time to go diving and while this pole spear guy is allowed to do whatever he wants it still kills us to see a wasted opportunity. I think pole spears are for when you already have too much fish on the boat or freezer or you are just diving so disgustingly much that bringing something other than your A game sounds like a good idea. there also might be a psychological component to it for some like bringing inferior equipment prevents you from being judged at the same level as the guys that go out armed to the teeth. like a 6 foot tall kid who rather play ping pong than basketball.
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #51
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

I have very little time to go diving as well, and didn't have the time when I was back in CA. I almost always polespear. It's not all about the killing for some of us. It's about the experience and the hunt, hanging out with your friends or finding solace in the sea. The meat is just a nice bonus.

If you're really interested in stocking the freezer, it's cheaper to just go out and buy a ton of fish at Costco or something. If you've ever done the math on your $/lb ratio, you'd probably shit a brick. Factoring in the cost of your past and present gear, fuel, boat, trip costs, freediving classes, etc. versus your lifetime catch in pounds of actual filet, most people who don't own boats and just go on trips every so often are likely around 5x market price. Guys that own boats don't bother counting, or they'd cry.

I don't think you guys realize that the guy in the video, quite literally, is the Gat in Gat-ku.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #52
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy View Post

If you're really interested in stocking the freezer, it's cheaper to just go out and buy a ton of fish at Costco or something. If you've ever done the math on your $/lb ratio, you'd probably shit a brick. Factoring in the cost of your past and present gear, fuel, boat, trip costs, freediving classes, etc. versus your lifetime catch in pounds of actual filet, most people who don't own boats and just go on trips every so often are likely around 5x market price. Guys that own boats don't bother counting, or they'd cry.
F ucken aye.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #53
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeco View Post
some if us have very little free time to go diving and while this pole spear guy is allowed to do whatever he wants it still kills us to see a wasted opportunity. I think pole spears are for when you already have too much fish on the boat or freezer or you are just diving so disgustingly much that bringing something other than your A game sounds like a good idea. there also might be a psychological component to it for some like bringing inferior equipment prevents you from being judged at the same level as the guys that go out armed to the teeth. like a 6 foot tall kid who rather play ping pong than basketball.
I'm diggin this comment Seeco, well said

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #54
norcalsurfer

Quote:
It's not all about the killing for some of us. It's about the experience and the hunt, hanging out with your friends or finding solace in the sea. The meat is just a nice bonus.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #55
VangysWay

Quote:
It's not all about the killing for some of us. It's about the experience and the hunt, hanging out with your friends or finding solace in the sea. The meat is just a nice bonus.
Well said
VangysWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #56
MLandau27

Well done Ryan! What an amazing opportunity for a truly humbling experience. Just to be able to stalk such a ghost is an amazing feat in itself to get a shot off with a pole spear. Most east coast guys use cannons and take like 20' shots. You were able to get him within 10'. My hats off to you and what you do for the sport. At the end of the day freediving is a minimalistic sport and you embrace that to the fullest with your product and hunting style.
MLandau27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #57
toptuna

Wahoo on the GATKU Pole off SoCal

Quote:

Maybe for you....... Great video though.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #58
Huntersmoon
The Creature

Seeing, let alone getting a shot off with a pole spear in California waters is epic! That was ano brainer with a gun, with the pole spear....legendary.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #59
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptuna View Post
Maybe for you....... Great video though.
I'm not as good as you are, apparently. I also get to go out less, so my costs are not as spread out over poundage.

What would you estimate your $/lb. to be then, oh great one?
Old 10-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #60
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Oh stop fighting you idiots, I'm sure we all agree it was a sick video but we just would of been more stoked for him if he landed it. Go shoot something then come back and post a report ya babies
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote