Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #61
TheSturgeon

Re: "spearing giant tuna with a float is very easy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshaft View Post
Hey Sturgeon, could you put an icon in your post so that we know that you are joking?
~~ or ~~
LOL..i thought people would understand i was joking without needing the Smiley.

but since you asked ..

TheSturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #62
Hank49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
I feel any of the above species could be taken with minimal ease given proper resources and timing.
I thought this as pretty much the goal we all try to accomplish. I don't want to fight big fish unnecessarily any more than I want to get in a bar fight with someone a lot bigger and tougher than I am.

Last edited by Hank49; 11-19-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #63
Dudro612
Jr. Fish Slayer

So basically bottom line to this thread,

Freedivers just put a line shaft on when you shoot the 200lb tuna that way a scuba diver will not say man that must be easy letting the float wear out the fish.
Dudro612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #64
Mattedhead
Matt Head

It's official....winter is here.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #65
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
I'll ask you again. How many wahoo have you shot and landed?

Talked to a guy that has shot 200 lb yft, 100 lb carbo's and many wahoo. He said that the tuna thing is a joke. You get in the water shoot the tuna and get back in the boat and eat lunch while you follow your float around and wait for the tuna to wear itself out and die for 30 minutes to an hour and then get back in and pull up the almost dead tuna. Really hard there!

The wahoo make one really hard run right off the bat and maybe a second run before it wears down to get. Once again the float does all the work.

The big blacks on scuba are butt kicking from the start! You have a very powerful fish that you have to deal with right off the bat. No floats or floatlines. Just you and the grouper in a all out hands on battle.
Cool Story Bro!

Your friend sounds like a huge pussy BTW.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #66
Ryfish

I know many here hunt on land and I compare hunting big game with a bow to bluewater hunting.

I bow hunt for big game and the toughest part I feel is getting your self in the right position for a shot...... scouting, time in the woods, reading sign, figuring out where to be, and playing the wind all add up to a successful hunt. Of course a big part of bowhunting is getting close enough to get a shot and making a real good ethical shot.

Same thing applies with bluewater hunting. I scour reports on the net about where people are getting fish. I read a bunch of different sites that show you sea surface temps, current, and also clarity. I call dive shops and get vis and current reports. Also you have to take into account the moon phases and tides as these will affect where and when the bluewater fish will be. Of course bottom structure comes into play. All these things add up to a sucessfull hunt just like in bowhunting.

Add in making a good freedive and making a good holding shot can be a challenge in its self.

I in no way say I am some expert in bluewater hunting, but I learn as much as I can and thoroughly enjoy it. Bluewater hunting is one of the most challenging hunts and rewarding hunts I have done and Ive done a lot of different types.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #67
chawk25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfish View Post
I know many here hunt on land and I compare hunting big game with a bow to bluewater hunting.

I bow hunt for big game and the toughest part I feel is getting your self in the right position for a shot...... scouting, time in the woods, reading sign, figuring out where to be, and playing the wind all add up to a successful hunt. Of course a big part of bowhunting is getting close enough to get a shot and making a real good ethical shot.

Same thing applies with bluewater hunting. I scour reports on the net about where people are getting fish. I read a bunch of different sites that show you sea surface temps, current, and also clarity. I call dive shops and get vis and current reports. Also you have to take into account the moon phases and tides as these will affect where and when the bluewater fish will be. Of course bottom structure comes into play. All these things add up to a sucessfull hunt just like in bowhunting.

Add in making a good freedive and making a good holding shot can be a challenge in its self.

I in no way say I am some expert in bluewater hunting, but I learn as much as I can and thoroughly enjoy it. Bluewater hunting is one of the most challenging hunts and rewarding hunts I have done and Ive done a lot of different types.
How many hours of riding around scouring the bottom machine and doing many deep dives do you think it takes to find a 100lb black? It's really all the same shit so do what you like to do. You think what you do is better which is why you do it. Other people think throwing a 1/4 stick of dynamite in a school of mullet is "the way" to do it. j/k
chawk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #68
Ryfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawk25 View Post
How many hours of riding around scouring the bottom machine and doing many deep dives do you think it takes to find a 100lb black? It's really all the same shit so do what you like to do. You think what you do is better which is why you do it. Other people think throwing a 1/4 stick of dynamite in a school of mullet is "the way" to do it. j/k
My post above didn't take anything away from shooting fish on scuba. Ive shot fish on scuba and when I see guys go down over 100ft and shoot huge grouper I give credit where credit is do. Of course finding the the spot where a big fish is likely to live is a skill in its self too.

But a couple of post above people where saying shooting bluewater fish is easy. But I pointed out that a lot of things go into just finding the fish that adds up to a challenging hunt. Also the wahoo I have seen shot haven't been easy they are usually on the edge of range and you have to make a good shot to land one as they can rip off easily.

Take my posts for what they are worth to you.... just stating my experience.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #69
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
So you are saying that I have no experience shooting and landing bluewater fish? name 5 people in south florida that have more experience.
Is this for real....?? Seriously....no, theres very few people who have ever hunted pelagics in florida. I feel social tonight so I'll play along and contribute to this...

I know you weren't trying to put someone else down, but were trying to defend what can be a challenging endeavor. Unfortunately the whole tone of the thread is going to be PERCIEVED by a lot of people as inflamatory and pretentious.

I thought back in the 90s my buddy craig and I were like the only ones doing blue water in south florida...we had homemade bw guns like the guys from terry maas's book adn were living the life targeting mahi and occasional wahoo adn kings...then I saw a guys pictures from pompano beach in the 70s with stringers of much bigger mahi and BIG wahoo he shot with some voit or usdivers gun and a boat bumper float. Then I joined the longfins and Mark Stalnaker would routinely come in with 40-70 lb hoos while the rest of us had little snapper and hogs and grouper. We later learned his technique and duplicated it with consistant wahoo being chummed up along boynton beach. Doug Peterson (who before FII was working/training in some capacity with Martin S.) was teaching his wife to spearfish in the late 80s/early 90s when she shot a 50ish lb yellowfin tuna with something like a 36 inch biller off the mooring bouy outside of oakland park blvd in lauderdale in like 30 ft! (if I remember the story correctly). I've watched Speedy Gonzalez (george) shoot a hoo that was easily 60-80 lbs and see the things first run actually evicerate itself and fall off the shaft. He had been down at about 70 feet for over a minute in a raging current over a wreck. Thres little chance many people could duplicate the skill he showed on this dive consistantly.
Point is spearfishing is so random. There are always easy and difficult hunts. There is always someone better than you, and always someone who will put you down. How bout that guy in CA who's young son shot his limit of wsb in like 10 minutes...then other guys who are really great divers have a hell of a time getting one in a season?
I really respect you (and your crew) for consistantly targeting the bw fish and the time and patience it takes. I LOVE hearing your stories and seeing the pics. I don't make time to do it these days and like living vicariously through your stories, BUT don't assume someone (even myself perhaps ) hasn't done similar...
I know you weren't trying to put someone else down, but were trying to defend what can be a challenging endeavor. Unfortunately the Perception is
that of arrogance and stirring the pot. just saying, and I'm pretty much exclusively a freediver (although its been so long for me getting out that Im almost feel like a poser calling myself one).
Good luck on the hoos and one of these days maybe you'll find out how difficult the yft is for yourself. I hope you share it with us with photos as usual.
Best Regards
Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #70
Ryfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
We later learned his technique and duplicated it with consistant wahoo being chummed up along boynton beach. I'm pretty much exclusively a freediver (although its been so long for me getting out that Im almost feel like a poser calling myself one).

Sounds like you have a lot of experience which is great. I would be willing to share some info/spots for wahoo up in Northern Palm beach county for spots down south near Boynton. We can compare notes.

Better yet if you can find the time come out with us, I am always looking for extra guys to go out bluewater hunting out of Palm Beach.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #71
sbh

I would love to make it out with yall sometime. Unfortunately I'm on the opposite of an open schedule. I'm in the tennis/cheerleading dad mode when I'm not working these days. I'd be happy to get out and catch baitfish on a sabiki these days!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #72
Ryfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I would love to make it out with yall sometime. Unfortunately I'm on the opposite of an open schedule. I'm in the tennis/cheerleading dad mode when I'm not working these days. I'd be happy to get out and catch baitfish on a sabiki these days!
Being a dad takes up a lot of time fore sure. If you find the time hit me up I usually try to get out at least twice a week if possible.

Also feel free to PM some spots down south and I will PM you some for up north.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #73
REEFED

I have been shooting Yellowfin Tuna now for 5 years (twice a year). The first time I went out in 23 foot swell 40 miles offshore 16 Deg water and drove around the whole day looking for good temp and soundings. Once we managed to find some fish i jumped in, put a shot into 3 fish and lost all of them due to inadequate gear. Mono tore through the crimps, barbs broke and shots pulled out. Shooting big tuna is very specialized, like hunting any other trophy fish you need the right gear and need alot of time in the water. We have always had big tuna off the South African coastline but we only started using the board and bungee system roughly 15 years ago, before then no fish over 40kg were landed here. So if people are saying its easy getting fish on that system perhaps they should go on a couple trips off the deep in SA and give some feedback on how many fish they lost on a standard rigg!
REEFED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #74
KillerKanuck
Dr. Bluewater

There is nothing to argue / compare in my mind of the hunt and landing of a cow yft... Amen
KillerKanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #75
REEFED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKanuck View Post
There is nothing to argue / compare in my mind of the hunt and landing of a cow yft... Amen
Cows that you dont often see and that swim with Makos and Whites
REEFED is offline   Reply With Quote