Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 09-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
blakevorwald

South Padre on the 6th, did I miss the season?😔

Just like the title say's. Heading down to SP the weekend of Oct. 6th. Wondering what to expect? Was wanting to sneak down to Packery, on Monday and I'm hoping I didn't miss my opportunity. Anyone have any current info on either?
blakevorwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
scuba201

Re: South Padre on the 6th, did I miss the season?😔

Snapper? Yes. What were you referring to?
scuba201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
SPI hunter

Are you doing Padre Island or South Padre Island? Packery is Padre Island (Corpus). I am on SPI so I don't know current info on Packery. I their summer has been like ours there has been VERY little viz near shore.

October can be very good or worthless, depending on wind and waves... Last October here was quite good.
SPI hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
blakevorwald

Thanks guys! Just wondering current jetty conditions at both Padre, and South Padre, and if they have been holding anything but sheepshead? I go to Port A a couple times a yr, kinda know what to expect there. Didn't know if the waves stirred up as much sediment in South Padre as it does in Port A? As I see the waves picking up as we get closer to my trip.

Ive seen Packery with 15' vis in October. August - October is what I consider my window. Was also wondering if others have the same conclusions?
blakevorwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
SPI hunter

SPI Jetties holds sheepshead, spade and mangrove. One of these days I will get lucky and get a black drum. Have heard of some shooting triggerfish as well, I haven't got/seen one yet.

Boca Jetty (south side) is shallower and has lots of sheephead and medium to small mangroves mainly.

You are seeing the same as me; it does not look very promising. MagicSeaWeed calling for overhead waves next Tues. Not enough wind predicted to push those waves... must be something tropical moving into the Gulf.
SPI hunter is offline   Reply With Quote