Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

Belt reel line hookup to polespear?

What's the best way to attach my belt reel line to my polespear? Thx

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Renejr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Re: Belt reel line hookup to polespear?

A few friends of mine all like to use a short rob Allen bungee between the two. I just use a large snap swivel used in big game fishing and clip it onto the band itself on the rear of loop. Works perfect and I have landed hundreds of fish like this.

I suggest you check for no tangles before every single fish you shoot or you will risk drowning .
I check before the dive, during the dive and often right before the shot . I check with my eyes and my free hand by tracing the line back to the reel to feel for snagss, tangles.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
Renejr83
Freediving is Life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLIAN View Post
A few friends of mine all like to use a short rob Allen bungee between the two. I just use a large snap swivel used in big game fishing and clip it onto the band itself on the rear of loop. Works perfect and I have landed hundreds of fish like this.

I suggest you check for no tangles before every single fish you shoot or you will risk drowning .
I check before the dive, during the dive and often right before the shot . I check with my eyes and my free hand by tracing the line back to the reel to feel for snagss, tangles.
Thx Kill,

I picked up a rob allen belt reel. I'm planning on also having a floatline to experiment between the two.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Renejr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Over 12yrs of privately working with divers on reel setups. First two guys I helped went off to spear huge Pelagics in '06. Im not making up stories here but after a couple months I emailed them and Ive never heard back from them. One went hunting DTT and the other was spearing at Diego Garcia.
I Liked the wrist setup the best with a quick detach. There is a lot of reasons to not go with a reel attached to your belt.
Biggest issue ive seen is the reel, (many don't work 100% of the time.) If you get into a nice size fish, especially a Pelagic and it starts to run hard and your reel is jammed or the line is wrapped up around the reel, that fish will strip your belt in a millisecond. Once it goes how you have your legs can be critical to you making it back to the surface. Your belt and reel are gone at this point don't try and save them. Get your legs and fins straight and let the belt go. This is to keep the belt from wrapping up on your ankles.

If the belt does get twisted up you better have that knife handy. Don't have any type of knife or kill spike on your belt or legs. You want the belt to make a clean get away.

Ive helped many experienced spearos with setups and all that have gotten back to me have said a stoppage is a no joking matter.

And if your lucky, your not facing the fish when the reel jams and the belt comes off over your head. A Spearo told me it about knocked him out when the weights came flying up and hit his head.

You can dive a thousand days and shoot a thousand fish and never have an issue. You just need to be aware of what could happen.

One more thing. After you shoot your fish get your hand on that line and keep it off your legs. Hold it away from yourself. if you cant do this you have to much drag on the reel.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
Triton

The 2 most popular setups I've had experience and feedback on are with the Aussie paired to the quick detachable universal belt bracket and the Rob Allen belt reel on your shooting hand side. With both setups a small tuna clip seems to work best connected to a small ring on the band like the Headhunter big game bands have.

Aaron is right though, it is dangerous to have it connected to you in any form. Make sure you are aware of what can happen and be sure you are ready and practiced to quick detach the bracket or ditch your belt.
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
YoungMarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspearo View Post
I Liked the wrist setup the best with a quick detach. There is a lot of reasons to not go with a reel attached to your belt.
Can you describe this quick detach wrist setup in more detail please? I have one of your brand new Neptune spears in my closet that I fully intend on sticking a large fish with this year. I was originally thinking of going the belt reel route due to a floatline likely getting tangled in an oil rig structure, but a wrist mount sounds interesting.
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
Triton

So far we've had no issues and customers have been happy with belt mounts as long as they are using a reel that can be detached quickly and they are comfortable ditching their belt if need be. With that method you have 2 different ways to get out if something goes wrong. You definitely need to be a mature and experienced diver before you decide to go this route. And I would never recommend a belt reel for pelagics or really powerful fish. I'm interested too in hearing about a wrist option. How does it work?
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:48 AM   #8
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:

Hey Killian,
Just wondering - do you have a safety dyneema line run inside the band loop, in case the wishbone gets pulled out or band itself pops?
Maybe overkill, since most fish probably wont be pulling with more force than the power of the stretched bands at the loading position anyways.

I'll likely be using one length of Small ID rubber with the plastic inserts, so don't even think I could run dyneema all the way through it and keep it watertight at the same time. I actually don't know how much force a well tied wishbone insert can withstand before breaking or pulling out - might test that on my bench.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #9
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Gecko,

I have built some.bands with a dynema core for loss prevention but unless your going for tuna I wouldn't even bother. Fresh rubber is good enough imo. Life's too short to worry that much about losing a fish in a 1in1000 chance of failure. I have seen bands stretched so far it blew my mind. Never seen one break that wasn't already rotted and doomed to fail.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Gecko,

I have built some.bands with a dynema core for loss prevention but unless your going for tuna I wouldn't even bother. Fresh rubber is good enough imo. Life's too short to worry that much about losing a fish in a 1in1000 chance of failure. I have seen bands stretched so far it blew my mind. Never seen one break that wasn't already rotted and doomed to fail.
Great! Thanks a ton for that speedy real-world answer. I will hook my floatline directly to the band (or rather the D-ring on the band strap) with a tuna clip and that is likely the only tuna this spear will get close to

Speaking of losing polespears and tuna, there is one heart-wrenching video on youtube with a Japanese spearo losing his rig to a doggie:

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 06-20-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #11
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Gecko,

Just pulled one of my small ID bands by a factor of 5 on my test bench - my scale read 77lbs, so that would equate to a fish pulling one of the 35L floats under. I couldn't pull more in my test as my test bench wasn't long enough. I might try again, but for reef fish in Okinawa I think I am more than safe
Also, the plastic wishbone inserts from Spearamerica stayed put.

If anyone care to know the numbers, here they are:
(Stretch Factor - load in lbs)
Factor 1 - 0 lbs
Factor 2 - 25.4 lbs
Factor 3 - 39.2 lbs
Factor 4 - 55.6 lbs
Factor 5 - 70.5 lbs