Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
HECSAQUATIC
StealthScreen Wetsuits

Hecs Aquatic stealth suits

Hi all spearo's. Hecs Aquatic has just joined this forum. If anybody wants to know about this latest and exciting new technology feel free to ask any questions.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
darian
Extreme Snorkeling

Re: Hecs Aquatic stealth suits

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECSAQUATIC View Post
Hi all spearo's. Hecs Aquatic has just joined this forum. If anybody wants to know about this latest and exciting new technology feel free to ask any questions.
Does it work?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
Shotmaster

I would like to test one!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
HECSAQUATIC
StealthScreen Wetsuits

For more info about how it works or if you want to buy a suit please go direct to https://www.hecsaquatic.com.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:56 AM   #5
hydroid

I really like the camo pattern. Most of the camo suits I see don't really match our reefs out here in the South pacific. The only other suit I've seen so far that matches our reefs is the Riffe Cryptic suits.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:46 AM   #6
Benook

The mako video on the website is so epic. Great stuff.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Rifreediver
Skitz

Do you recommend a size up for the skin? Since it's going over an existing suit? Or does it have significant stretch?
And will the camo be available soon I'm larger sizes?
Old 06-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
HECSAQUATIC
StealthScreen Wetsuits

The dive skin has sufficient stretch in it that you can just stay with your currant size and there is no need to compensate. If you are in the US our DC has camo in stock. If you are in NZ or AUST there will be stock in 10 days.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #9
AaronC
Sponsor

I heard it's magic. Is that true?

Welcome to the board!

F.I.I Certified Freedive Level 1 Instructor offering courses in the Tampa Bay area. Private courses also available upon request.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #10
Rifreediver
Skitz

Definitely going to order one and try it out.
Are you going to sell socks and gloves separately in the future because those tend to wear out way before a suit does
Old 06-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #11
HECSAQUATIC
StealthScreen Wetsuits

thank you and please email info@hecsaquatic.com about your query, many thanks.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #12
ForrestG
World Traveler

Well, when I first heard about HECS, I thought to myself its unlikely that this "technology" would make a big difference in the general spearfishing I do with ray finned fishes. Its usually in clear water and with animals that aren't proven to be able to detect electrical signals.

Regardless, I thought I would give it a try. At first I didn't really notice anything other than a well made comfortable warm wetsuit. But then, during my first dive in it I had a really amazing encounter with a big shark. I thought, ok that was a fluke, sharks swim bye people in the ocean all the time.

Now, over a year later I have come to slowly realize and accept that fact that when wearing my hecs suit, on almost every single dive I end up getting closer to fish, sharks and espically lobsters and I have notice they seem so much more relaxed around me. Its not every single fish or every single dive, but very regularly I completely sneak up on a fish that I think knows I am right there and it results in me landing an amazing shot and fish.

Its witnessing this compounding subtle difference in the way aquatic life reacts to you over multiple dives that is the difference I have noticed, and honestly now that I have had the time to use it, I do not see myself switching back to a regular suit in the future.

This is just my experience. From peaceful Mako sharks, to unaware WSB and even open water yellow tail snapper in Florida when no one else could get near to them. I am a BIG fan of these wetsuits!

Last edited by ForrestG; 06-12-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: can't get any photos to upload.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
Captain SOGO
SOGO spearfishing

Is there a local shop here in south florida where I can put my hands on one and try on the skin to get the right size the first time.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
cureburger

Hi all,

I came back from diving the sea of cortez over the last week and just wanted to supply some info on these new Hecs Stealthscreen wetsuits from a bit of personal experience.

From the minute you put the suit on, you realize why they are so expensive: they are a really high quality wetsuit. I have been diving nothing but cressi technicas for 12 years, and I must say that the Hecs suit is definitely the most comfortable wetsuit I have worn. Everything from shoulder, knee, and chest pads to the integrated knife pocket, to the included gloves and booties is of the highest quality and seamless design. While many other suits have great singular pieces and technology, I think the Hecs combines the best parts of all and pieces them all together with a sweet design and graphics. So before I even get into the "stealthscreen" part of it, I have to admit that this is simply one of the best wetsuits on the market. The only complaint I had was that the threading on one of my gloves came loose after a few days. Not sure if this a design flaw or the fact that I was wrestling gulf grouper and cabrilla for three days straight.

Now on to the technological side. I would like to hold off giving a definitive successful rating on the stealthscreen part of the wetsuit. The only reason being is that this was not the perfect trip to demonstrate its capabilities. Here is what I can comfortably say about it:

The technology behind the Hecs suit blocks the body's electronic signals from leaving the wetsuit, but in order for that to be effective, you must be hunting the right species. Pelagic species that tend to rely on their electro-magnetic sensors to navigate (in this case yellowtail) were in short supply. Personally, I only had two sightings all trip, and in those cases I did notice that the yellowtail seemed to swim right by me as if I weren't even there. Now, wether that can be attributed to the wetsuit tech or the fact that yellowtail in general are than a sleeping infant is still up for debate. As grouper don't rely on the same navigation systems, I did not notice a big difference hunting them directly. But what I will say is that I have been diving the same spots in the sea of cortez for the last decade, and have seen four 50lbs+ gulf grouper before this trip. This time around we had 9 sightings in 3 days, and landed 5 of them. While you could chalk this up under coincidence, I definitely believe that the wetsuit made a big difference in some way, shape, or form.

My biggest surprise was its effectiveness with lobster. After a few hours of diving a shallow reef, I decided to take a quick break from spearing and went for a casual exploratory swim. After a few minutes, I noticed some antennae poking out of a cave and went to investigate. There was a fat bug slowly crawling out from under a rock, and having heard about the wetsuits claims, I decided to see how close I could get. What happened next surprisingly shocked me. I hovered above the bug with my glove and even made slight contact with one of its antennae...nothing. The bug could not have cared less. For those of you who have hunted spiny lobster before, know very well that even the slightest sight of you much less contact with the animal means that you have blown your cover. Not this time. I seriously felt as if I had thrown on Harry Potter's invisibility cloak. Just to be sure I went ahead and touched it a bit more forcefully...still nothing.

Believe what you want, but I whole heartedly believe that this wetsuit gives you a slight advantage when hunting pelagics and a huge advantage when it comes to crustaceans. Bottom line is this...exceptional wetsuit (best on the market that I have personally tried) even without considering its electro-capturing technology. Comfy, great design and graphics, and bonus points for coming with free booties and gloves. When you include the fact that it also gives you the advantage of concealing yourself, I don't think I will ever buy another wetsuit!

Will keep everyone posted as I gain more experience with it.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #15
JMachock

I was also on that trip with cureburger in the Sea of Cortez and have almost identical feedback. I too dove in a Cressi suit for the last 5 years or so and freaking love those things. No matter what suit I switch to or who pays for and endorsement (fingers crossed that happens someday) I'll never speak ill of those suits. They're tough as nails. That all said I do have to give credit where it's do to the HECS suit. First off it is definitely a very high quality suit. The camo is great, not that that's super important really, but hey why not do everything right if you're making the top of the line suit. The fit is phenomenal. I mean impressively so. I'm 6' on the dot and about 165lbs and the medium 5mil fit like it was built for me. The matching booties and gloves are a pretty big perk. Big fan of that. Admittedly the gloves showed some serious wear after 3 days of slaughtering sardinero grouper which have pretty spiny gill rakers. I did manage to speak to the HECS guys about that though and they said they're switching to a material that will be damn near indestructible. So once that's done I'll have to get a pair of those for lobster diving. The nice pocket is a big perk for me. I know other companies have a knife pocket too but my old Cressi doesn't and I'll never wear a suit without one after trying it.

When it comes to the stealth screen part I basically have to abstain. I didn't see any sharks or lobsters and while I did see a bunch of rays it didn't occur to me to mess with them to see if the stealth stuff worked. It certainly makes sense to me and several of the guys on my dive trip had encounters that substantiated the claims made by HECS. I just personally didn't have the opportunity to test it effectively. I shot a few YT and they were indeed as stupid and easy to shoot as YT always are. In fact I shot one while sitting on the bottom waiting for grouper which I've never done so maybe there's something to that?

Either way though, I'm a big fan of the suit simply because it's the best suit I've warn. With the gloves and booties included, and the fantastic quality overal I feel they justify the premium price even if the stealth screen is BS. Since there's plenty of evidence it is not BS, I'm retiring the Cressi and diving HECS from now on.
Closed Thread