Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #16
spearq8

Re: 14 or 14,5mm bands for 100-105 cm spears?

The thin line I use is Head Fibergel line. I bought a 1000 foot roll some years back and it still hasn't finished. It is around 1.2 to 1.3mm and feels very much like mono and I just crimp it normally like mono. I do use a PVC sleeve where I connect the line to the shark fin to give it more durability in that area.

The Sniper 125 definitely had faster shaft speed with a 7.5mm shaft than 8mm, and had also much flatter trajectory and better penetration on the Tuna Penetration test. But even the 7.5mm setup gets blown away in shaft speed when you go up to 3 bands and an 8.5mm shaft. While I can actually see the shaft travelling with the Sniper ... the bigger and fatter 8.5 (which should be easier to see) just travels too fast and I can't see it. Hard to describe how incredible the shaft speed is with that setup and a properly shaped handle with high CG handle. I might try and re-test that setup to get an accurate number on shaft speed ... I am pretty sure it is at least 20% or even 30% faster than in the sniper shaft speed. But remember that shaft speed isn't everything ... you also need accuracy and to be honest if a setup feels that it has more shaft speed but is not accurate, I am not interested.

In the end the shaft doesn't care how you power it ... air gun, roller, invert roller or classic ... it all really doesn't matter. But I can say with certainty that simply adding energy to the shaft is not how you get more shaft speed. More important is efficient transfer of that energy to the shaft without destabilizing the shaft.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #17
Red Tide

Yep!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
The thin line I use is Head Fibergel line. I bought a 1000 foot roll some years back and it still hasn't finished. It is around 1.2 to 1.3mm and feels very much like mono and I just crimp it normally like mono. I do use a PVC sleeve where I connect the line to the shark fin to give it more durability in that area.

The Sniper 125 definitely had faster shaft speed with a 7.5mm shaft than 8mm, and had also much flatter trajectory and better penetration on the Tuna Penetration test. But even the 7.5mm setup gets blown away in shaft speed when you go up to 3 bands and an 8.5mm shaft. While I can actually see the shaft travelling with the Sniper ... the bigger and fatter 8.5 (which should be easier to see) just travels too fast and I can't see it. Hard to describe how incredible the shaft speed is with that setup and a properly shaped handle with high CG handle. I might try and re-test that setup to get an accurate number on shaft speed ... I am pretty sure it is at least 20% or even 30% faster than in the sniper shaft speed. But remember that shaft speed isn't everything ... you also need accuracy and to be honest if a setup feels that it has more shaft speed but is not accurate, I am not interested.

In the end the shaft doesn't care how you power it ... air gun, roller, invert roller or classic ... it all really doesn't matter. But I can say with certainty that simply adding energy to the shaft is not how you get more shaft speed. More important is efficient transfer of that energy to the shaft without destabilizing the shaft.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #18
Andersp90

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I might try and re-test that setup to get an accurate number on shaft speed ... I am pretty sure it is at least 20% or even 30% faster than in the sniper shaft speed.
Any news on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
You probably did the 'time to reach 1m' as the distances differ between the tests you could find.
I was just too lazy to do the calculations myself.
Andersp90 is offline   Reply With Quote