Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Mikel_24

New to kayaking: Bic borneo

Hello all,

I recently bought a used kayak with a dual purpose in mind. Main use would be recreational with my gf and 5y old daugther. SEcondary use would be, as you can imagine, spearfishing.

It is a BIC BORNEO 2 adults + 1 kid. No storage facilities of any kind besides a cut out in the back with a few bungee cord attachments.

I already bought rope, chain and fold away anchor. I don't plan on throwing it anywhere I cannot reach the bottom, so I rigged it straight to the top attachment point (no break-away I mean).

Flags (red and blue ones) are already bought and I am trying to find some kind of fold-away mast. I was thinking discarded tent pole (with the bungee and all. I would sew a piece of webbing on the edges along the vertical edge of a seath to slip it in.

For fish and miscelaneous crap I was thinking of strapping a plastic craddle to one of the empty seaths (middle one probably) and cover it with some cloth to avoid direct sunlight (and dumping the contents if I tip it!).

I mostly plan on using it right in front of my house (30m walking and I am at the beach, great spot for fishing). It has two (removable) wheels integrated in the kayak itself that should suffice for this short run.

Since I don't have any storage compartments and I truly fear capsizing and loosing stuff, my plan is to hope in the kayak with EVERYTHING on (including weight belt, sans the fins, at least for the beach launch), then put them on and paddle wherever I want to go. What do you think of this approach?

I have read all the threads in this subforum (which are not that many) and most of them are asking about suggestions for kayaks.

Any other tips you would like to share?

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote