Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #16
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Re: Some Facts on the New Mexican Pacific Reserves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
going out with a local is a pretty good safeguard from the political b.s. going back and forth....you will be helping the local economy and they tend to look out for us under those circumstances...They aren't real fond of the Mexico City bureaucrats....
Possibly; but look at Loreto. You can't spear a thing there, without a real risk of gear confiscation and heavy fines. But you can fish there....... so retarded.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #17
Polespearo
Waterman

KON: Scroll through the link and find the map of cedros and tortugas. Dark green = Don't Touch. Light green = Spearfish with the limits you know from your mexican fishing license and MUST go with local panguero on a boat under 30´.

Once they make the management plan they will FU%& us good, but so far you can Sport fish with speargun in light green area or blue, so all good in natividad and south but the restrictions i mentioned are or ceedros and north.

http://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.p...cha=07/12/2016
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #18
Bob Ballew

Based on my experience with Mexican governance; announcing the death of spearfishing is pre-mature....yes, the rules will change but, the U.S. dollar generally rules supreme once the dust settles....our big sportboats return with tons of their fish each trip...that will probably change, along with some areas in need of reef protection...like the weather, it can change from year to year...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #19
Polespearo
Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Based on my experience with Mexican governance; announcing the death of spearfishing is pre-mature....yes, the rules will change but, the U.S. dollar generally rules supreme once the dust settles....our big sportboats return with tons of their fish each trip...that will probably change, along with some areas in need of reef protection...like the weather, it can change from year to year...

Unfortunately the latest trend for the pas 5 years at least is to limit or exclude the spearfishing form the sport fishing. It started with Loreto where a local management challenged federal fishing license (federal fishing license specifies limits for rod and reel and limits for spearfishing but allows both and Loreto cancelled spearfishing leaving only rod and reel), Then the next hit was Espiritru santo where they banned some 25 spots from spearfishing but left them open for rod and reel. Then the last JOKE was gulf of Ulloa (INCLUDING MAG BAY) in which in order to save the turtles, they make a 12 point law all regarding turtles but rule#5 explicitly and specifically without any explanation prohibits spearfishing. (in order to minimize contact of the turtles with fisherman or something like that) so... the $$$ is there to keep the sport fishing going but that same $$$ wants the spearos out and just rod and reel guys. This is no opinion, no theory, this are facts of passed laws in the past years. So i am sure that when the management plan for the islands show up, spearfishing being the scapegoat of the subject will most likely be affected more than rod and reel.

problem is that Enforcement is whats lacking, so if you are going to use a forbidden method.. you might as well do it in a forbidden place, so bad guys win while good guys only get cornered tighter.
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #20
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polespearo View Post
Unfortunately the latest trend for the pas 5 years at least is to limit or exclude the spearfishing form the sport fishing. It started with Loreto where a local management challenged federal fishing license (federal fishing license specifies limits for rod and reel and limits for spearfishing but allows both and Loreto cancelled spearfishing leaving only rod and reel), Then the next hit was Espiritru santo where they banned some 25 spots from spearfishing but left them open for rod and reel. Then the last JOKE was gulf of Ulloa (INCLUDING MAG BAY) in which in order to save the turtles, they make a 12 point law all regarding turtles but rule#5 explicitly and specifically without any explanation prohibits spearfishing. (in order to minimize contact of the turtles with fisherman or something like that) so... the $$$ is there to keep the sport fishing going but that same $$$ wants the spearos out and just rod and reel guys. This is no opinion, no theory, this are facts of passed laws in the past years. So i am sure that when the management plan for the islands show up, spearfishing being the scapegoat of the subject will most likely be affected more than rod and reel.

problem is that Enforcement is whats lacking, so if you are going to use a forbidden method.. you might as well do it in a forbidden place, so bad guys win while good guys only get cornered tighter.
finally somebody bringing the facts.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #21
kon

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll be ok for this trip. Bummer that it's going to change in the future though.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #22
kon

After spending last week in Bahia Tortugas, I spoke with my wife's friend who's the director of the guardaparque in the Loreto area. He speaks with the other regional directors and explained they're currently working with the local cooperatives to come to an agreement about the new fishing laws. In his opinion it'll still be 3 to 4 years before something is finalized. He has no idea what they'll decide but whatever it is the cooperatives and other folks involved all have to agree. I suppose the best we can do is keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best... that and take advantage by going often before their new laws take effect
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #23
Timinator

So, what's actually panned out with spearfishing in Baja. Has much changed then? I know this thread is old, but I haven't seem much when I did a search.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #24
Pfish

For the last three years I think it means you have to get a ecological permit to dive/fish certain islands. I know in LA Bay, they stop you at the ramp and want you to get a $23 wrist band that you need to launch. That is about it.....