Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
cgoff117

New to site and pole spearing, seeking advice.

Hello Spearos ( as I've read youve been called )
My names Cody and I'm brand new to pole spearing, I went once and I feel in love with it. Some more about myself I live in the Pomona area and I'm a college student.
I have a few question and I would appreciate it so much if you guys could help me out
1. I have absolutely no idea where( or when) to go to dive, I can only go from shore for now and I know your not supposed to give your fishing spots away ( I totally respect that from being an angler), Ive fished in the laguna and newport areas ) wont say beaches because Im not sure im supposed to)
2. I would love to catch bass, however I have no idea where to look for them, ive seen a nice barred sitting on the bottom on sand but thats only one ive seen, do i look in kelp? in rock areas? under rocks?
3. I want to get better at holding my breath, any exercises you guys do?
4. Slip tips and float line necessary or not?
5. (EDIT) Almost forgot to ask, need to get better at equalizing pressure, any advice?
Sorry this text is getting lengthy, help would be so much appreciated guys and gals, I feel like I'm dead in the water so to speak, and I'd love to hear from your, I love this sport and want to keep doing it! Pm me or reply I'm fairly new to forums so be gentle!!
Thank you so much !
-Cody
cgoff117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Spear n Surf
Waterman

Re: New to site and pole spearing, seeking advice.

Hello Cody,
1. High Tide is usually the best bet. Check out the MLPA's on the Fish and Game website to see what areas you can spear at and what fish your allowed to take. As well as size requirements etc.

2. Just keep diving and you will run into them. There are different types of bass so you find them in different places. Use the search in spearboard to find threads that already explain alot of information your looking for as well.
3. Learn how to become comfortable in the water. Once again, google can answer that question!
4.Slip tip not necessary for you. Float line is nice to attach to the pole spear and drop down to mark holes or other things but can be annoying go through kelp...
Old 09-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
cgoff117

Thanks for the tips! Fish on!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
IanB

For your second question I find that most bass like to hide in holes. Well, at least the calico bass do, haven't quite figured out the sand bass mannerisms since I don't see them all that often. I see plenty of calicos out in the open and in the kelp or reef dwelling, but the bigger ones that are worth catching usually seem to dart from hole to hole. Look under crevices and in holes, but be ready to shoot when you do look because they spook pretty easily.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Haha Pole spearing.

I like surf boarding.
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoff117 View Post
Hello Spearos ( as I've read youve been called )
My names Cody and I'm brand new to pole spearing, I went once and I feel in love with it. Some more about myself I live in the Pomona area and I'm a college student.
I have a few question and I would appreciate it so much if you guys could help me out
1. I have absolutely no idea where( or when) to go to dive, I can only go from shore for now and I know your not supposed to give your fishing spots away ( I totally respect that from being an angler), Ive fished in the laguna and newport areas ) wont say beaches because Im not sure im supposed to)
2. I would love to catch bass, however I have no idea where to look for them, ive seen a nice barred sitting on the bottom on sand but thats only one ive seen, do i look in kelp? in rock areas? under rocks?
3. I want to get better at holding my breath, any exercises you guys do?
4. Slip tips and float line necessary or not?
5. (EDIT) Almost forgot to ask, need to get better at equalizing pressure, any advice?
Sorry this text is getting lengthy, help would be so much appreciated guys and gals, I feel like I'm dead in the water so to speak, and I'd love to hear from your, I love this sport and want to keep doing it! Pm me or reply I'm fairly new to forums so be gentle!!
Thank you so much !
-Cody
pm your cell number, I drive back and forth from redlands to malibu
If its worth driving out ill give you a heads up
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
PacificsEdge

Quote:
pm your cell number, I drive back and forth from redlands to malibu
If its worth driving out ill give you a heads up
Damn Redlands? I thought I had it bad coming from the Valley.
PacificsEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Ethan kills
OG Troll

This board really scares me sometimes. I don't think anyone without at least a year o experience should be offering up advice. I rarely give diving advice cuz I dive like an idiot most of the time. I can say that this sport is inherently dangerous as we all know. Just be careful and dive with people tht know what they are doing until you get the hang of it. And watch out for sharks. I see whites almost every dive these days.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Carlsbad
Anthony & Sherrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan kills View Post
This board really scares me sometimes. I don't think anyone without at least a year o experience should be offering up advice. I rarely give diving advice cuz I dive like an idiot most of the time. I can say that this sport is inherently dangerous as we all know. Just be careful and dive with people tht know what they are doing until you get the hang of it. And watch out for sharks. I see whites almost every dive these days.
Even though I've been doing this for about a year & a half now, I've gotta delete my post. There's no shortage of veterans willing to mentor new guys & since everyone new should dive with someone experienced, your advice covered everything my post said & more. Well said, Ethan & much respect for that "dive like an idiot" comment.

Last edited by Carlsbad; 09-06-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: deleted superfluous info
Carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsbad View Post
Even though I've been doing this for about a year & a half now, I've gotta delete my post. There's no shortage of veterans willing to mentor new guys & since everyone new should dive with someone experienced, your advice covered everything my post said & more. Well said, Ethan & much respect for that "dive like an idiot" comment.
I wasn't trying to aim my post at you bud. I was talking about this whole board in general these days.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #11
Carlsbad
Anthony & Sherrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan kills View Post
I wasn't trying to aim my post at you bud. I was talking about this whole board in general these days.
Either way it's a good point. Hopefully encouraging new guys to get a mentor and to ask their mentor will become the standard instead of just saying "use the search" leaving mainly the blind leading the blind.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
cgoff117

Hey guys I had a great experience the other day thanks to some of your tips! had a pretty cool and scary encounter with a seal that was checking me out, no bass luck but i saw a few!! Anyways thanks for the help again