Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #46
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Re: Sea sickness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Riplipper, your one of the lucky ones, were not all that lucky. Some people can fly fighter jets; some can’t ride a merry go round, and everything in between. .
I guess, but it sure works for me and my family....my wife gets motion sickness on a pond with ripples and it works for her....
Old 08-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #47
JohnAndrew
@spearingdestin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Boy76 View Post
This is something I've dealt with all of my adult life. When I was younger I never got seasick once, but now I always get seasick. Once it starts nothing helps (puking, looking at horizon etc...) except getting back on dry land.
It really sucks so here is my seasickness Bible:

Useless: Regular Dramamine (Dimenhydranate). It barely works and will put you to sleep.

Little Better: Non Drowsy Dramamine, Bonine (Meclizine). Works well but makes you a little drowsy. Take one before bed the night before and one the morning of your trip. I have plenty of energy on boat but find it makes me drowsiest when I return to dock. That night I'm a walking zombie.

Better: Transderm Scop (Scopalmine). These are the patches that you put behind the ear. They work great and don't make you drowsy but they are very expensive. One patch will last a full three days so if you are going an a trip that long they are great. But if you only need for one day it's an expensive waste of money. They used to sell it in the States in a pill form called Scopace. But for whatever reason they stopped producing it. Pill was good because it would last 12 hours instead of 3 days. NASA is working on a nasal spray form that should be ready in a few years. It's being tested by FDA.

Best: Kwells (Hydroscine). It's basically the same as scopalmine. Works great and does not make you drowsy during or after your trip. The best part is it's a pill that lasts 4-6 hours so it wares off quickly if not needed. You won't fall asleep at the bar after your dive trip (yes it's happened). It requires a prescription in the US but can be ordered for a little over a dollar a pill including shipping.
Kwells has been a life saver for me many times. I probably would have sold my boat if I did not find it.
Hi guys,
I know this is an old thread but I get terrible sea sickness every time I go out in a boat. I'm one of the unlucky ones who can get motion sickness from movies and even video games.
I always get plenty of rest the night before and don't really eat anything the morning of, but am well hydrated. My 1st bout usually comes on after being in the water for half an hour or so. Then it continues to hit me once I get back in the boat. I try focusing on the horizon, but usually while I'm dry heaving.
I've unsuccessfully tried both Dramamine and Bonine and have recently ordered a box of Kwells from Australia.
Any tips on/when to use it (the Kwells) before or the day of the dive?
Thanks
I'd really like to put this behind me so I can focus on the fish.

Cheers
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #48
Shorediver

I have been very fortunate and never experienced seasickness, even in +10 foot seas in a small boat.Guess some people are better built for the sea than others,but one can always take medications to prevent seasickness if needed.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote